RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Make My Room White

Old 03-04-2010, 04:56 PM

Make My Room White

Fairly straightforward request for a newbie like me...
I'd like to know a method to take a photograph of a room or a building and make it look like everthing in that room or building has been painted white.

I've tried using & blending layers but it just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me.

Anyway - hope one of you experts can help me out !
Thanks
M.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Patron

Re: Make My Room White

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactastic1971 View Post
Fairly straightforward request for a newbie like me...
I'd like to know a method to take a photograph of a room or a building and make it look like everthing in that room or building has been painted white.

I've tried using & blending layers but it just doesn't seem to cut the mustard for me.

Anyway - hope one of you experts can help me out !
Thanks
M.
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads? (Click here)

You can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the save for web function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image on your own site or elsewhere and attach a link, but also please attach an under 100K version here (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).
Alternative Image Hosts if you do not have your own site are: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) or pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) or photobucket.com (1 Meg max free,... 5 Meg PRO) or mediafire.com (100 Meg per file)

A sample of what you want converted/painted and samples of what you have tried (using the same photo) might help get more responses
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-04-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm at work so dont have my examples but this is the kinda look I was going for :-

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/6...zmurgrabia.jpg

Thanks!
M.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 AM

Hit the D key, X key, ctrl+shift+N, select the paint bucket, click in the image.....

Seriously though, a shot like you posted had a ton of planning go into it. Unless you are willing to do the same (ie little to no colors in the room, props, clothing, etc.) you are going to have a hard time replicating this image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 11:03 AM

I don't know if this is the "right" or easiest way to do it, but I run the Luminosity Masks action from Amica999 based on the tutorial of Tony Kuyper http://www.goodlight.us/writing/luminositymasks.

Then on a new layer filled with 100% white, I select the "Super Darks" channel and on this white layer, fill the selection with 100% black. Then duplicate that layer and set it to "multiply" so that it's even darker. Then on a new 100% white layer I'll select the "Shadow Darks" channel and fill 100% black (in the selection) to add more detail. Also set this layer to multiply. Continue this process of white layer filled with super darks or shadow darks and adjusting them until you get the effect you want.

I think you might be able to get a similar effect if you use a curves or levels adjusting layer but I seem to get much better results from the above method.

The first of the attached is my original
the second is done with a curves adj layer
the third is with the above method and a little blending of opacity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0140orig.jpg (96.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140before.jpg (97.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0140after.jpg (92.7 KB, 116 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 11:48 PM

I downloaded the raw (dark) image above and played with it. I find the challenge interesting. I agree with Caesium that the sample had a lot of pre-planning. However, I am finding that many of my clients want "effects" that they find applied to existing images, new photography (that they just shoot without consulting an Retouch Pro) and/or stock photography! So, the trick is to observe what "works" in the sample....

The first thing that I notice in the sample (girl in car puking notes) is not the white or neutrals, but the subtle color ~ very slight yellow cast in the highlights, a bit of cyan in the "sky" in the background, a lavender cast in the mid-tones (especially around the building) and of coarse, most importantly, the girl's flesh tones.

So, the first thing I do to the warehouse is to increase saturation (in an adjustment layer). Yup, I "brighten" the colors!

Second ~ I do a local area curves to the dark patch to the right on the floor. a two-tone floor wasn't helping this image so I made it even!

Third ~ using small moves in a series of hue/saturation and selective color adjustment layers I neutralize the colors. I never de-saturate the master, but always work the individual colors and never all the way. You have to leave some color, even in neutral images.

Fourth ~ I use a curves layer to lighten it to High Key!

Fifth ~ I added the stock painter girl, so I could do the same thing and have some flesh-tones to play with. (I left the painting and pallet pure because it was more interesting.)

Finally ~ I grab a selection of the 3/4 tones and adjust the curves locally!

My description of my process is a simplified version of wht I actually did, but contains all the right elements!

So, anyway, This was a fun experiment! Thanks Mactastic1971!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (96.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 87542335-72dpi.jpg (95.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg wareHouse_paintedWhite2-e3.jpg (99.3 KB, 88 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-06-2010, 11:53 PM

Wow! Eves3 - You are amazing! This is exactly my thoughts. I knew that proper lighting and pre-planning played a very important role but I thought there was still a lot going on post processing.

You really nailed this. I'm going to be spending all weekend now trying to replicate your work.

Thanks again - much appreciated.
Regards
M.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2010, 12:01 AM

Good Luck ~ remember small moves and lots of them!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching