RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to tan skin?

Old 03-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Question How to tan skin?

Hello people, I'm asked by a client to tan his skin. Any tip to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Re: How to tan skin?

Try this as a starting point. Mask the skin, of course, and apply a Selective Color layer modifying Reds with +40Y, +25C and +10M (or something proportional, depending on the value of the initial skin tones.) Then add a curve layer in Luminosity mode and use a basic "S" curve adjustment on the RGB master curve, pushing it darker. If you want to get really clever, instead of the curve layer, Merge the skin to a new layer, dupe that to a separate file and convert to CMYK. Then, with a curve adjustment layer in Luminosity mode, jack up the contrast in the magenta channel. Merge down and pull it back to your original.

Should be a good place to start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:43 AM

The thing I do to get a better tan, or to tan the skin: I create a new layer called "tan", then I apply a red 255 with an opacity set to 20% then I apply the color on the parts of the skin I wanna tan. After that I press ctrl+U to set the color in the orange and I increase the lights until I get something good.
Finally I change the blending mode to color or over settings depending of the photo. And I adjust the opacity.

Regards,
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
Patron

For tanning I prefer LAB color. Select the skin and save as selection or mask. For many images this is as simple as loading the luminosity of the R channel.
In LAB, there is a easy releationship between the A and B channels that controls the skin color. For tans a good ratio that works is to have the B channel approx 1.5 times the A channel, where the value of A is somewhere between 18 and 24 resulting in B being in the high 20's to mid 30's. The L Channel is then moved a little to control the darkness of the tan / skin. This method is not better than moving curves in RGB or CMYK but I find it easier aand more effective for me. I also find it more intuitive. The color is established with only 2 channels (A&B), both values are on the positive axis which eliminates having to worry about messing around with the Blue channel (for the most part), and the range window is fairly narrow.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
For tanning I prefer LAB color. Select the skin and save as selection or mask. For many images this is as simple as loading the luminosity of the R channel.
In LAB, there is a easy releationship between the A and B channels that controls the skin color. For tans a good ratio that works is to have the B channel approx 1.5 times the A channel, where the value of A is somewhere between 18 and 24 resulting in B being in the high 20's to mid 30's. The L Channel is then moved a little to control the darkness of the tan / skin. This method is not better than moving curves in RGB or CMYK but I find it easier aand more effective for me. I also find it more intuitive. The color is established with only 2 channels (A&B), both values are on the positive axis which eliminates having to worry about messing around with the Blue channel (for the most part), and the range window is fairly narrow.
Regards, Murray
whats R channel?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
whats R channel?
Red Channel ^^
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 01:15 PM

Thumbs up Re: How to tan skin?

Quote:
Regards, Murray
Hey Murray, thanks a lot for this help. I'll try it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Regards, Murray
oh men i dont really get this... T_T feel so dumb... can you post step by step? thnx
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM

Question Re: How to tan skin?

Quote:
Regards, Murray
Yeah, Mr Monday, could you explain it better? I tried to figure out the stuff, but couldn't. I used curves to perform the tanning in L*a*b but "ungotten" (allow me to invent a new verb ^^!) the feeling I wanted.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Patron

Sure, but I only have an iPhone with me so I will reply when I am back on my PC tonight NY Time. How familiar / comfortable are you with LAB?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching