RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertise Here

Replacement Nibs for Wacom Tablet' Pen?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 AM

Replacement Nibs for Wacom Tablet' Pen?

I hope this is the right place to post this. I need replace tips for Wacom Tablet's Pen, Intuos 4. Where can I buy them please. Wacom's web site has a kit, but I can not use most of tips in their package.
I have been using the black one's that came with the tablet. I am not sure what the default one is called, but that is the one I have been using.
Second question please, Does anyone recommend a better nib for retouching? More friction, etc...?

Thank You
Old 03-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Re: Replacement Nibs for Wacom Tablet' Pen?

I see that the Wacom store offers a pack of 10 "Standard" tips for the Intuos4 pen. $9.98. Currently (March 8) on backorder. Here's the link: https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Intuos4 Standard Nibs (10 pack)_P1828.cfm

I've long used Wacom products and have not used anything but the standard tip that came with my pen. I'm also interested in hearing whether or not someone recommends a different type of tip.

Last edited by LibbyC; 03-08-2010 at 11:26 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 03-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Libby_C, Thank you for the recommendation. I just called Wacom and they recommended this one for retouching, https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/Fe..._P1636C156.cfm which is from the older version, but it fits the Intuos 4 pen. Also, they have this one which is softer and therefore more friction,
https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/In...k%29_P1504.cfm

I am not sure if I want more friction since I do thousands of stroke for each image
Old 03-09-2010, 03:21 AM

Did you buy your Intous new? If so, you should have an assortment of nibs inside your stylus holder. Try them all to see which you like best.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Question. How long did they last? I'm reading on threads about the intuous 4 that now the nibs have a very short life...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Mine last a long time. I'm not doing pixel level D&B 7 days a week, but I use the tablet a lot, even for surfing, etc, so it gets used. i use the "standard" black ones. I'm not a terribly hard presser as pressing hard gives me finger craps.

And if I were doing all that pixel level D&B I'd use a plastic overlay on the surface, as I discussed elsewhere, because I don't like a lot of drag for that. I like lots of nice, clean easy touches. And with the overlay the nibs last a looong, long time.

So, I certainly believe there are people who wear theirs down fast. They probably are 40-80 hr per week full-time retouchers or illustrators who scrub hard on a large tablet, etc. But as a light toucher on a small tablet the wear rate is not an issue for me.

The trick is to buy the thing from someplace with a return policy. If you'll need to replace nibs on a daily basis I think one would know that in a day or two. I had two weeks to return mine, and two months later I'm still on my first nib.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM

I retouch pretty much 24/7 - D&B being the majority of my work. I have used Intuos Wacoms for over 10yrs (I don't own a mouse). With Intuos 3 I would go through a nib about every 3 months but when I got the new v4 i was going through them in less than a week. I rang Wacom and they sent me a new batch of nibs and they are going a lot better (maybe I got a bad batch??) but I still change my nib at least once a month. The v3 nibs mentioned above by fotogen are better but i can't use the second one fotogen mentioned as i go through these still - like 1 a week.
Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
Question. How long did they last? I'm reading on threads about the intuous 4 that now the nibs have a very short life...
Very true. I have a medium Intuos 4 and the wife has a 11x6 Intuos 3. We both use our tablets daily. I have had mine for maybe 8 months or so? (a couple months after the 4's came out) She has had hers for about 3 years.

In my time, I have gone through 3 tips and really need to put a new one in now. She has gone through maybe 2...

I must say, the new surface is certainly engineered to kill tips quicker. Personally, I prefer the old smooth feel of the 3 to the pencil feel of the 4. It's one advance I with they would undo.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:06 PM

Since I started doing pixel level D&B, a nib is only lasting me about week or maybe two. I use the Standard nips, which I believe are the hardest. I don't like too much drag and friction on the surface when you doing 1000's of strokes in 3-4 hours.
I have only had my Wacom medium tablet V4 for 4 months have gone through 4 nibs. I did not know that V3 had a smoother surface...
The standard nibs are out of stock at Wacom store, does anyone else sell them? Also, do the V3 nibs that I mentioned above have too much drag?
I used the soft tip nib that came with my tablet, inside the pen holder https://direct.wacom.com/stores/5/In...k%29_P1504.cfm and I hated it. It was way too much drag for my taste. So I wonder if V3 nibs will be the same?
Old 03-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Can't recall how the Intuos 3 nibs feel on the Intuos 4 surface. It's been a while since I have tried it but as I recall, they still felt like they had much more drag than on the old Intuos 3 tablet.

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching