Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching help

Old 03-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Question Retouching help

I haven't posted in a while, been trying to practice and learn a little on my own and from browsing threads. My DD's are in pageants. (please no rude comments) We do mainly natural pageants. We really only do retouches to fix stray hairs and remove scratches. I don't care for the whole "doll" look. My children are near bald lol. My baby is 11mo and my oldest is 2. I don't want fake hair and teeth on my baby! Babies should look like babies IMO.

We are now moving up in age groups and "babies" are no longer cute. They want FAKE. I have great professional pics that have done wonderfully for natural pictures with VERY minor (like I said removing a scratch or maybe a shadow) retouching.

I hate the fake look but know that's what it'll take for part of the photogenic portion. I don't mind the brightening and lightening HER* eyes and possibly some skin softening. MAYBE even a few lashes, but that's it. (I say her b/c I want it to look LIKE her) No makeup, no teeth, no fake hair! Certainly leave that baby fat alone LOL!

Any suggestions on what programs? My photographer has been willing to do the tiny minor things as she does these to all of her pics. I respect her choice in NOT wanting to do this as I also have "issues" with it. Anyone willing to attempt it for me? I get so frustrated with myself even trying b/c I still want to see HER in the photo IDK where to begin on this. Program suggestions or pointing me to someone who is willing to do only MINOR things would be great.

I have the pics on my computer, but don't want to post them here to protect my child's privacy. I can email them to you if would like. MSG me and I can send my email.

Thanks for any advice and tips you may have.

Last edited by peytonsmommy; 03-09-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Re: Retouching help

It doesn't have to be a doll look to be wrong. Retouching children is the best way to damage their self esteem. I just can't help it. Seeing the photograph of an underage opened in photoshop just hurts my eyes and reminds me of those pet contests.

Anyway, the answer is Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2010, 12:50 PM

Photoshop for sure.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 AM

ALL photos are copyrighted. Are you implying that there is no copyright or that you have the photographers permission and a "Permission to Print" letter from the copyright owner to retouch or print the photos. Will the retoucher who is going to be making substantial changes to the original work by the copyright owner have permissions as well?

The key is to start with a Good Glitz Photo that will need minimal fixing up.
A photo with all the makeup, flappers, hair pieces (falls), background, hats and props included prior to snapping the shutter.

The technical work that goes into the Glitz Photo is quite impressive, there is a lot of talent in that level of transformation - regardless of the shock value.

There are no special tutorials for Glitz.. a good working knowledge of all the tools available in Photoshop (which has a steep learning curve), a good working knowledge of what the judges are looking for, skills in Illustration, compositing, color correction, extractions, applying digital makeup, eye enhancements, adding hair - eyelashes - props - backgrounds - etc to the photo are just a few of the skills that need to be mastered.

All these things are covered in a combination of the many tutorials available here at RetouchPRO and on the Internet. So, have a look at the tutorials section in the forum. You can learn how to fix or retouch just about anything. You'll find tutorials for skin, eyes, background changes and just about everything that will help you get the Glitz look.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching