RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Adding color to white

Old 03-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Re: Adding color to white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Paule View Post
I tried my hand at doing the gradient map. I am not sure when you use the Lab color though? When do you?
It's pretty good for putting tone into blown out skin highlights. The healing brush can then add some texture. I find it's cleaner than trying to multiply tones in RGB, or messing with channel blends and whatnot. And for color shifts that are close in value, it works great, but in those situations you might as well stay in RGB. There are some things that can only be accomplished in lab, but you don't always need to go there.

When you want a dark green shirt to go pink or a pale green car to go day-glow orange, gradient maps are the atomic bomb in your arsenal. They're also great for smoothing out skin tones, usually at lower opacities so they don't call attention to themselves. All kinds of nifty things to do with them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 12:07 AM

i am curious about using Gmaps for smoothing out skin, how is that done exactly?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 AM

This worked out great!! Spent 2 hours getting the car looking awesome. then the client came back to me and said "you know.. lets keep the car white" <sigh>

still, i learned something new.

And i'd also like to hear how to use gradient Maps for smoothing skin
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 02:17 PM

Just keep in mind that the gradient is targeted to values that already exist in the luminosity profile of the image. You have 256 levels of grey so assume you have 256 steps in your gradient. Photoshop just slots the new color onto the old value for each step along the way. If the darkest value in the image is only 30 or 40, everything in the gradient that falls below that will be ignored. You can slide the colors in the gradient around to fit the darks and lights of the image.

That said, the possibilities are limitless. For example, if you wanted to lighten midtones, you could make a gradient with 50% grey at each end and white in the middle, set to Soft Light mode. You can tighten or widen the white band and slide it up and down the value range, to target the specific areas you want to adjust, often to get a more precise result than curves can give you.

For skin tones, you could either build a collection of skin gradients ahead of time, based on finished images with good tone, (always a good idea) or you could start with the image you're working on, sampling across the range from shadows to highlights, adjusting individual colors to make the transitions smooth, then layering it back into your image at, say, 40% opacity. You might try it in color mode, as opposed to normal, and see how they compare. Even in normal mode, if you position your steps to fit the image, you won't be destroying texture. It's not like painting a color, it's substituting one complete range of tones for another. Play around. Once you understand what it's doing, your options are endless.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
I like gradient maps
It looks like you just made a simple ramp from red to white for your gradient. You're passing up the ability to customize your color shift to the detail in the original. In your case, there's a lot more highlight detail to be pulled out. Usually you have to add a few more steps, and position them judiciously.

Gradient Map: http://edgework.tripod.com/redmap.jpg

Car: http://edgework.tripod.com/red_car.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgework View Post
It looks like you just made a simple ramp from red to white for your gradient. You're passing up the ability to customize your color shift to the detail in the original. In your case, there's a lot more highlight detail to be pulled out. Usually you have to add a few more steps, and position them judiciously.

Gradient Map: http://edgework.tripod.com/redmap.jpg

Car: http://edgework.tripod.com/red_car.jpg
Absolutely beautiful rendition..

Introducing someone new to Gradient maps for the first time I wanted to make it as simple as possible so they could get their feet wet.. then get excited enough to explore further.. as I did.. Glad you showed what could be accomplished with a little more work! Thanks for the samples... As I am also a beginner using Gradient maps, It helped me for sure... I think the most points I've ever used is about 5...

still learning and trying to practice cubed daily
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching