RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How is this skin achieved?

Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM

Re: How is this skin achieved?

Nah, that texture is what happens when people keep believing that an overlaid blurred noise layer makes good skin texture... now her pores are the size of peas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 AM

It doesn't really look natural, but it's a cool look. The 'correct way' would be Dodging and Burning until the end of time of course, but sometimes some people don't want it all to be perfectly realistic. I would say that this look has been achieved by using some kind of smoothing/blurring filter in combination with a High pass filter on top to get the texture back. The way I describe the smoothing can also be made with surface blur, but I will describe a slightly different method.

Try this:

1. SMOOTHING:
Copy your Background layer
Set the new layer's blend mode to Vivid light
Invert the image
Filter -> Other -> High pass
Adjust the settings to get the amount of smoothness you want
Add a black layer mask and paint in the mask with a soft white brush to reveal only the skin areas

2. BRING BACK TEXTURE:
Copy the Background layer once again
Put it on top of the Smoothed layer
Filter -> Other -> High pass
Setting should be low here, about 1-3 pixels, so you can see the texture just a bit
Set the Blend mode to Overlay/Soft light depending on how sharp/contrasty you want your texture
Add a black layer mask
Paint the texture back in the mask on the skin areas with a soft white brush

If you want extra texture you can also use Filter -> Noise -> Add noise with a setting of maybe 1% on the texture-layer. On this layer you can also use Gaussian Blur of a low amount since the texture tends to get a bit sharp sometimes.

This is a Quick and Dirty way for skin retouch, but with fair result if you don't overdo it. I always adjust the opacity of the layers too, to let the original texture shine through just a bit. Hope I made some sense!

/www.markusp.se
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
I don't think so, look how exaggerated the texture is, look in the neck/shoulder area.

http://www.cre8tivepixels.com/1.jpg

She's either been misted with glycerin or there's some sort of texture overlay going on there.

I still do think so.. in fact i'm sure they blurred the skin and put some skin texture layer (high pass) above it on soft light/overlay.. is looks so fake
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud92 View Post
I still do think so.. in fact i'm sure they blurred the skin and put some skin texture layer (high pass) above it on soft light/overlay.. is looks so fake
You're being contradictory.

What I replied to was your statement "The skin retouching you see there is just the degrunge technique."

Now you're saying something else.

I really don't care, but for the sake of the OP it's worth being clear that degrunge won't give him that exaggerated droplet look. At least not as described in the retouchpro tutorial most people here go by.

Last edited by Flashtones; 03-14-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching