RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertise Here

Helvetica Neue font

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM

Helvetica Neue font

The retouching part of the forum is probably not the place to post this question, but i like how helpful people have been in answering my sometimes dumb questions and the knowledge of many of the users so here goes.

I designed my website using helvetica neue font for the text. I am not sure where I got this font from, whether it came with CS3 or if I downloaded it from somewhere. I definitely didn't buy it. I have given my web designs to the person who is going to actually put the site together, but they don't have this font and are substituting. They have CS4 so it seems that I must have downloaded it from somewhere.

Do fonts that ship with photoshop automatically show up in the fonts library on a mac after photoshop has been installed? I am not seeing it there. It is not showing up under downloads either. I am wondering how to get this font to the person who is designing the site. It appears listed in my fonts in photoshop. I have searched around for Helvetica Neue on the web, but although most sites say the fonts are free they actually want $30 for it.

Any ideas? How do you get a font that appears listed in the character pallet in ps to get placed in the fonts library so I can send it to the person who is creating my website? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 PM

Re: Helvetica Neue font

I can't tell you where the font came from... but I'm wondering if you realize that visitors to your site will not view the text in the Helvetica Neue font unless they have the font installed on their computer.

When designing a site.. it's really best to use a font that comes standard on the majority of computers.. standard Helvetica would do the trick.

The other fonts recommended for web design are: Arial, Verdana, Lucida, Futura, Optima, and Palatino.

Hope this is of some help...
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 PM

Thank you, Dena, for that info; I had no idea. If I turned the Helvetica Neue text into a smart object or turned the type into a path, I don't suppose it would make any difference, would it?

If I did use Helvetica Neue on my website would it be displayed as regular Helvetica on computers that don't have the font installed?

Last edited by Caravaggio; 03-16-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:45 PM

If you want to use it (or any font for that matter and have your visitors view the font you used, even if they don't have it on their system).....

http://facelift.mawhorter.net/

How to do it....

http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/ph...ish-with-flir/
Old 03-16-2010, 10:14 PM

Thanks Cesium.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:29 AM

Caravaggio, what's the website going to be about? If it's a portfolio, just do it in flash and get rid of all visual limitations.

If it needs to stay html/css, you can use sIFR, which will allow you to define a CSS selector, and all the text in the html that contains that selector will be dinamically turned into flash text to which you can assign any font (you will not have to create a swf for each bit).

http://www.creativepro.com/article/u...eb-site-design
Old 03-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Patron

I've had fonts disappear after an upgrade in Adobe CS, so I've learned that if a specific font is critical to your design you need to preserve it in some fashion, whether that be designing in Flash, converting to outlines (rasterizing), etc. Other things can happen to a font displayed on a Web site besides a browser deferring to its default fonts. For instance, Skype will convert a phone number to a 'button' that you can click and call, which might be handy for customer service but wreaks havoc on the design.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:43 AM

I haven't read all above, but I know OSX uses HeveticaNeue as a display font. Meaning it was installed with your OS (Harddrive/System/Library/Fonts). Its a system font, and not a postscript font which means conflicts if you also use the postscript version of the family in design - but thats another story.
In short, don't use this font, as recommended above, or Flash is an option, as recommended above too.

--shift studio.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Thank you all so much. I don't think my friend who is putting the site together for me knows flash yet. I changed the text in a mockup to Helvetica and don't think it makes much difference in fact Helvetica and Helvetica Neue appear to be almost the same.
I will give the info to my friend and see what he can do.

My site is going to be a retouching site, mostly featuring product shot retouching. I will post a link when it is more finished.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:13 AM

Shift Studio is correct. HelveticaNeue is an OS system font and it is required for Mail, iCal etc. Since OS 10.1.x Apple no longer allows you to (easily) delete their version of HN in order to substitute the PostScript version, but it is possible. For more info see:
http://www.desktoppublishingforum.co...ead.php?t=5285