RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to create border around a scanned image

Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 AM

How to create border around a scanned image

I have digital photos of a manuscript, I need help enhancing the image and would like to extend the background of the image and have a equal border on both sides with similar shades. Any help is appreciated. I got about 4000 images of individual pages so an easier way to achieve this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00570.jpg (27.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00571.jpg (27.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00573.jpg (27.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 04:08 AM

Re: How to create border around a scanned image

You will have to scan them in the exact same way each time in order to get your pages at the exact same place in all your files, then use a Photoshop script to record the job once, then apply it to your 4,000 files.

Good luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks, the pictures are taken from the same spot. How do I copy the background to make the border look alike on all sides?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Do it in the script, if you copy the background while recording the script it will do it for all your files.

Start the sript, do the job on a file while recording, when it's finished, save the file and stop the script. Then apply this script on all your files.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Patron

Your attached photos have not been taken under ideal conditions for this type of work. The lighting is uneven, the images have some parallax issues because the manuscript positional plane is not perpendicular to that of the camera focal plane. All this means that you will have difficulty creating a Photoshop Action to fully automate the process.
But you can try to create one, but the results may not be ideal for all of the photos.
One flow you might want to try would be:
- Image 90 degrees Clockwise or Counterclockwise
- Desaturate (assuming you do not need the pages to look yellow
- Image > Auto Tone
- For the border, apply a Layer Style: Check the Stroke Box, select a color for the border, choose a size, and select Inner. You could also use a template if you require some type of fancy edged border but the Stroke Layer Style will do it very quickly and can be included in your Action.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 AM

Thanks for your reply, I might have to go with the manual option for editing, The manuscript paper is yellow, that I would like to keep it the same as original but if it can be some how enhanced and smoothed out that would be perfect. And for the border I don't want to add any colours or borders or different style, I just want to extend the background of the paper to all sides equally, so that the text is in the center of the image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Patron

Use the Image > Canvas Size to create fixed size canvas and File > Place to open the photo and have it centered OR open the photo and use Image > Canvas Size to enlarge the canvas some percentage greater than 100% leaving a white background. Make a selection of a side of the photo up to its edge (sample attached). Then do Crtl+T or Edit>Transform and drag the edge to the outer limit of the canvas. Repeat with the other 3 sides.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandeepsahota screenshot1.jpg (173.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg sandeepsahota screenshot2.jpg (176.1 KB, 15 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 12:55 PM

Really appreciate your time and help, I am going to try this and will update you guys, if I succeeded as I am new to photoshop. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 11:43 PM

Thanks a lot Murray, I did what you have said and it worked like a charm. I am really excited that this is do able as before I had no idea from where to start. I don't know how to thank you, this is great. I have one more question regarding enhancement of the image, is there any way the image can be enhanced so that the writing is more black and the background is smoothed out?

Thanks a lot!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Patron

Your work would be so much easier if you could use more even lighting for the photography.Using an adjustment curve will be problematic, so for these images I would recommend you use a Gradient Map adjustment layer similar to the one shown in the attached screenshot. Make a custom gradient map that works for a typical photo, then you can save that custom map as a preset which you can apply to all your images.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sandeepsahota Screenshot 3.jpg (194.8 KB, 13 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching