RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

90-100 year old glued photos

Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: 90-100 year old glued photos

Sometimes you do the best you can and move on, especially when you have hundreds of photos to deal with and no one's paying for the work ;-).

Here are a couple of examples of 4x5 prints I scanned. I have since returned the originals but I recall a pinkish/brownish faded look to them. These seem to have been home-developed images from the turn-of-the-century and were badly faded. Some extreme Levels adjustments brought out the subjects as well as they could be (the second image is a person with two dogs). Now I wish I knew who they were!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg faded.jpg (79.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg faded2.jpg (86.0 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:46 PM

Those really are in bad shape, particularly the second one. The pinkish sounds like what I have. Worse thing is the one of my father graduating I did better with it originally. I can't make it nearly as clear now. My technique is going backwards! That is very discouraging. I had been going back every once in a while trying to make it better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 04:52 PM
Patron

Maybe upload a raw copy to the forum and we can have a go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:26 PM

How would I get a raw copy? It would just have to come from the scanned copy. It couldn't add additional info.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Patron

Right, I meant the pre-retouched version of your scan ("raw" as opposed to a DSLR's "RAW").
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 PM

Judy:
I am about to embark on a project similar to yours -- digitizing, cleaning up, and archiving old family photos. So far I've thought more about it than I've actually done work on it. I have done some experimenting with different methods and decided that, because of the volume of pictures that I would have to scan in (a very slow process), it would be better and quicker to set up a copystand and take digital pictures of the original photos vice scanning them in. Once you have set up your camera, squared it to the surface the photo is on, and set the camera's focus you just take the picture of the picture, remove the original and replace it with another old photo and click the shutter button again. It's like an assembly line. One caveat -- you will need to collect your pictures together by size as each different size requires a different setting of the camera. I was lucky in that I was able to pick up a used copystand at a very reasonable price ($35) from a photographer who was moving out of state. If you aren't so lucky and don't want to spend around $500 for a new copystand, I've seen some messages on this forum that describe how to build your own using a tripod. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 PM
Patron

Agreed that would be much quicker, but I'd like to see a comparison of quality. The camera would have to be a DSLR with a decent megapixel count (etc.) to compete with the scanner's capability to capture small details without noise or other artifacts.

I scanned all my family photos at 800ppi and downsized to about 9x12"@200ppi for archiving.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 12:06 AM

Oh, and one more tidbit, Judy: Are you aware of IPTC data? If not, here's my take on what it is and what it is good for. As you probably know, when you take a picture with a digital camera that is saved as, say, a Jpeg file, then embedded in that file is EXIF data which details the conditions at which the picture was taken such as what camera was used to take the picture, what the f-stop was, what the white balance was set to, etc., etc. This data cannot be edited. But in addition to this embedded EXIF data, there are also accommodations to ADD IPTC data to the file. I think of the data as a standalone record of an imaginary database since it has set fields specified (such as Description, Caption, Date Picture Was Taken, and much more). This data IS editable and is originally blank although there is space left for the data in the Jpeg file. So if you were to create Jpeg files of the images you scan in, you can then open up the Jpeg file and add descriptive data to it -- Photoshop will allow you to edit IPTC data. One nice thing about hardcopy photos (your original pictures) is that you could write on their backs and whatever descriptive information written there would go with the photo wherever it went. Not so with digital images -- you can't write on their backs. The beauty of IPTC data is it is the digital equivalent of "writing on the image's back", the information gets WRITTEN to the Jpeg file, and goes with that file wherever it goes. I wanted to make sure you knew about this feature if you didn't already know of it. Inputting IPTC data would be a nice addition to your photo archive, and will be especially helpful for future generations when they look at the archive you've created and wonder "who this is" or "when was this taken". Oh, and certain programs (Adobe Bridge, for example) can do searches on those filled-in IPTC fields. (Bridge will also let you view and edit IPTC data. And file formats other than Jpeg can accommodate IPTC data -- TIFF for example, and there are probably others.) Again good luck. And post how you are progressing -- I'm sure you'll have some hints I could use once I go into "production mode" on my project.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Patron

Here's an example of what I did with some of my family scans (issue #12). I ran a little contest here at RP for the cover art, and LonnieK won.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching