RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Newbie here need some help!

Old 03-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Re: Newbie here need some help!

Hi John, thanks for the help. Can you send me the link for this "blown out sky" tutorial? I didn't find it on the restoration tutorials list!

Ignore this..already found it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Patron

Hi There. I downloaded your scanned image and noticed that there were numerous white spots in the image. First I corrected the luminosity by using curves in photoshop. I copied the layer and used darken as a blending mode and then used dust and scratches which in the darken mode causes less blurring than "normal" mode. That removed most of the white spots. Larger areas I used the patch tool and the stamp tool.

On this site there is a nice tutorial by Swampy called fixing a blown out sky.
So I added some color to the background and in the process got rid of the scotch tape mark on the top of the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cruising.jpg (193.3 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Patron

Another alternative is using Polaroid dust and scratch filter, (free) with the 'Light' box checked, create a mask for the layer and paint black on things like highlights and other areas you want to keep white... then for the dark spots run it again with the box Un-checked (Default) at a much lower amount and use a hide all mask to limit what is repaired by painting white only on the areas you want fixed

Then as mentioned before.. clone/heal the spots/scratches that were missed, fix the sky, water, color, sharpen, etc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_D_S_Before.jpg (198.0 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Polaroid_Dust_Scratch.jpg (197.9 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 09:19 PM

Do you think the Polaroid dust and scratch filter works better than the photoshop/noise/dust scratch removal tool?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpurvis View Post
Do you think the Polaroid dust and scratch filter works better than the photoshop/noise/dust scratch removal tool?
The Polaroid dust and scratch filter is what I started with and am used to it.. it has the option to repair light or dark spots/scratches.. Most of the time I copy the layer twice, use dust/scratch filter with the light box checked on the top layer, hide all mask it, paint away the bad stuff on the mask, merge down, copy again, run the filter in the dark mode, hide all mask it, paint away the bad stuff on the mask, merge down,... this keeps the integrity of the rest of the image with little blurring... It seems to me that the dust and scratch that comes with Photoshop blurs the image a bit more.. but with the same masking procedure used above it might work just the same.. I just find that using the light and dark settings easier for me... I still use the layer modes for special or added effects..

This is just my opinion because I am more used to the Polaroid version.. I feel that whatever tool you can use well, feel comfortable with, and if it can accomplish the task set forth, then that is the right and best tool for you..

Keep in mind I am using a very old version of Photoshop (V7) and things have changed drastically in Photoshop over the years... but this version does what I need and want, so I see no reason to change...... YET...
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 AM

Hmmm... I may download and try it out. Your method sounds like a good way to go. I tend to just select the sky and apply a large amount of filter there, and then use a smaller amount on the rest of the image. Very rarely will I use it over the entire image because of the blurring. Of course the best way is what works easiest and best for you -- still, there is much I have to learn.
Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks, all of you! I'm working on this shot doing my best. I'll send the link to the final work and i really could use some more opinions!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 05:05 PM

Hi...a lot of time later...
Here is my final work:
Final edition 1
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Hiya Pedro,

I'm even later than you :-) but I like it, you've done a good job, maybe a little light cloud in the sky, but overall nice.

John
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the answer! i'm really happy for the feedback!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching