RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Newbie here need some help!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Question Newbie here need some help!

Hi folks! My name is Pedro and i'm from Brazil. I read about this website today and i'm just starting to see how much things we have about retouch and repair images. It's a pleasure to be here with you.
Well, since i just got here, i don't expect much answers quickly, but i really need some help with an image.
Maybe i'm wrong but there are a lot of different techniques to fix an old image, right? I tried one here from what i saw at the forum, but i couldn't get good results.
I want to know if someone can point me what technique i should use in this photo and give me other tips. I need this a little fast, because it's for a friend, and i'm months late!
The image is this one (reduced). The size of the original file is 11807x9341 pixels and 21,0 MB.

So..what do i need to know and try?

Cheers,
Pedro P.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScannedImage mais reduzida.jpg (88.6 KB, 167 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 04:01 PM

Re: Newbie here need some help!

Hi Pedro, and welcome!

You're right, there are a lot of different techniques to fix an old image.

I guess the original is a raw file. If it is, someone will come along and explain adjustments you can make. I have a free raw converter but I can only make a few adjustments. I just found it a couple of weeks ago and haven't played with it much.

Anyway, I would start by adjusting the levels.

The image is too small for me to see small details, but try cloning and/or healing on the scratches.

I'm sure someone will be here to explain how to adjust the raw file. Are you using Photoshop?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Yes, i'm using CS4 here. I think i'm avoinding this "cloning and healing" thing, because there is A LOT of scratches in the full sized image.
Thanks! I will wait for other answers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 06:14 PM

I use healing brush tool on sky, reduce noise and adjust level.

I set photo size is 1000 x 791
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScannedImage-mais-reduzida.jpg (94.4 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Patron

Pedro, welcome to RetouchPro. There are about 50 different ways to approach this image. You can open it in Camera RAW and shift the tint slider toward green a little and the temp slider a little toward yellow boost the contrast. You could use a filter plugin like Kodak Digital ROC which is dedicated color adjusting faded film and slides. Or you can use a very simple old fashion approach to just open the file, apply a curve adj and then a minor Hue/Sat adj. They all will produce almost identical results. The attached sample is the a simple contrast adjusting curve followed by a minor Hue - Sat to balance the color.
No repairs were done - you'll need a bit of cloning or patching.
You can fix the sky or replace or crop it (much of the sky adds no value).
Your results will look much better on your 20MB file. Your attachment is pretty small.
Good luck with the restoration.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedrobop Curve-HueSat.jpg (176.0 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM

Hey guys, thanks for those tips! I read in a tutorial here that the first thing i had to do was cloning those white spots caused by its age. I spent a lot of time taking of that spot on the girl's leg. I don't think i did a very great job and i'm not sure if i'm doing it too slow. I didn't change levels or anything else yet and didn't finish the cloning. The leg seems a little artificial for me too, what do you think? Do you believe that i will be able to give her a good image with this huge size? Looking at it with the original size show me how many white points this shot have. I didn't finish the cloning. These are my results for now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg edição começada reduzida2.jpg (97.0 KB, 50 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobop View Post
Hi folks! My name is Pedro and i'm from Brazil.
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrobop View Post
I want to know if someone can point me what technique i should use in this photo and give me other tips.
The image is this one (reduced). The size of the original file is 11807x9341 pixels and 21,0 MB.

So..what do i need to know and try?

Cheers,
Pedro P.
If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (As you did here) so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links.

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.

This tutorial "Restoring an old photograph" by cameraken has become the starting point for most of my projects

Plus lots of helpful tutorials in the RetouchPRO Tutorials area
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 05:36 AM

these are a lot of fun to play with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family2.jpg (86.5 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 AM

Exclamation Re: Newbie here need some help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Wow! Thanks for this website. I already submitted the original image there, i hope some of you can download it to see what i'm talking about!
Thanks for the other information too! I'll sure read all those things to get better at those retouching techniques!
The link to the Fullsized shot is ScannedImage original size

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
This tutorial "Restoring an old photograph" by cameraken has become the starting point for most of my projects

Plus lots of helpful tutorials in the RetouchPRO Tutorials area
About that...This was the tutorial i mentioned earlier. I tried some steps here but couldn't get those nice results. To start that tutorial i have to complete the clonning too. The numbers sugested for blue and the other colors at this tutorial are especific for the image used as example, isn't it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Hiya pedrobop

Hope you enjoy your stay here, I had a quick play with your pic, first I duped the background and ran "dust and scratches" filter at a setting of 2 and cloned out any large blemishes, the filter badly blured the faces so I added a hide all vector mask and painted over all the blemishes again, leaving the faces intack. Then I followed Swampy's "blown out sky" tutorial to add some colour into the sky and the water. Finally adding a "levels" layer to correct the colour and add some contrast to the image, see the attachments.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Regards....John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family.jpg (99.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg layers.jpg (99.9 KB, 34 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching