RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Vanishing Point Question

Old 03-31-2010, 02:49 AM

Question Vanishing Point Question

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering if there is some kind of Vanishing Point Tool for Photoshop (or a way) but for spherical objects or for any other kind of curved mesh. The thing is that I want to place a texture over a curved surface and I need the texture following the perspective and the the geometry of the surface.

Any help will be fully appreciated,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2010, 03:52 AM

Re: Vanishing Point Question

Try you hand, or mouse, at the Displacement Map function in Photoshop, here's a basic tutorial to get you started with the basic funtcions -

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutoria...ap/dispmap.htm

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2010, 04:37 AM

Smile Re: Vanishing Point Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBurg View Post
Try you hand, or mouse, at the Displacement Map function in Photoshop, here's a basic tutorial to get you started with the basic funtcions -

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutoria...ap/dispmap.htm

Displacement map is too unaccurated. I also need to move the texture in order to place it in certain area, meaning I don't have to warp all the area with the texture, just a portion. The warp tool also isn't the best tool to do this.

Thanks for your time answering,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 AM

Quantum, if you have the extended version oh photoshop, the 3d features are what you are after. First you need to get a mesh of what you need to texturize. If you are not good at 3d modelin and the needed mesh is complex, i'd suggest you try zbrush. Now, if all you need is a sphere or any other simple primitive, just create it with photoshop. Once you got your shape, then you can texture, bump-map, clone, or even paint with the brush, all in accurate perspective and lens distortion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 AM

Thumbs up Re: Vanishing Point Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmanta View Post
Quantum, if you have the extended version oh photoshop, the 3d features are what you are after. First you need to get a mesh of what you need to texturize. If you are not good at 3d modelin and the needed mesh is complex, i'd suggest you try zbrush. Now, if all you need is a sphere or any other simple primitive, just create it with photoshop. Once you got your shape, then you can texture, bump-map, clone, or even paint with the brush, all in accurate perspective and lens distortion.
Hey bro! I was wondering what happened to you!

Mmmmhhh... I have the extended version, I tried the 3D thing by using just an sphere but couldn't get the result I was looking for... What I have, is a number with texture that should be put onto a helmet, at one of the sides of the helmet, so the number must shrink/stretch to that angle, and I guess I have to move the number around the sphere to get it n the location I need, but couldn't do that in a precise manner.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, bro. I will try it again!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2010, 04:14 AM

Good luck with getting it in place, once you have done that consider duplicating a copy of it, switching the original copy off, and setting the duplicates blending mode to "Hardlight". This will show through any texture/scratches and lighting that exists on the helmet already, then merge all and clip or mask this layer to the original number, and adjust its opacity. Might not work depending on the image, but it also might help to blend the number in.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching