RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Victoria's Secret NAKEDS campaign - rymo

Old 04-06-2010, 10:47 PM

Re: Victoria's Secret NAKEDS campaign - rymo

KR1156: Indeed!

Isedo, fonelan, Johnpd, Fact: Thanks for the kind words!

elvinomarin: Top notch comment chum!

Jose: Indeed. I'm feeling your 'site, man. Smooth. (I need that loadbar...)

Foga: My pleasure. Keep at it.

clicks2: (nodding in your direction and leaving no actual comment here as I bite my tongue till it bleeds.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 PM

kenwood: excellent question.

There are a number of factors that can account for this:
1. The photographer working for a client, is never sure which images will be chosen for campaigns. The photographers job is to catch every moment possible. If the model bangs out a fantastic shot, but in the flurry of shooting it was blurred or inbetween camera adjustments, the shot can come out reflecting that, and I'll need to do my best to utilize the shot.
2. Given the intense timeline of 6 days for 34 images before print, I cheated. Adding SLIGHT noise to an image at fullsize, can hide minor flaws in an image come print time. However, when zoomed in (for a crop, as it was here), it becomes much more apparent. If I placed a piece of .05mm pencil lead on a white table in front of you, it would take you a mere second to find it. If I then placed a window screen over the entire table, it would be more difficult.
There are techniques that take months to develop to get right, and then there are down&dirty tricks. You're seeing the latter.
3. Sometimes the photographer may do it on purpose. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts, depending on how the image is used. For instance: Now I won't speak for Victoria's Secret or their photographers, as I don't own any part of the photography or studio direction. However, if I were shooting a model, whom I know has many minor skin imperfections, and I know that I'm going to be using the photograph as a full frame/crop (not zooming in), shooting with the focal point a few inches in front or behind the model can save TONS of time on retouching, without looking blurry on press.
For me personally, this can be a nightmare when it comes to Miranda Kerr. For my money, she has the best images I've ever worked on. In a stack of 700 images from a photoshoot, you could EASILY find 350 to base an entire campaign on. She is a fantastic model. Which can lead to some sticky situations come retouching time, based on the quality of the shot.
Thanks for the question.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 PM

what a job don't mind lookin (I mean retouch) those photos all day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRyan View Post
Jose: Indeed. I'm feeling your 'site, man. Smooth. (I need that loadbar...)
thanks man, glad ya like!.. means a lot coming from a great retoucher such as yourself..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching