RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Victoria's Secret NAKEDS campaign - rymo

Old 04-02-2010, 01:01 PM

Victoria's Secret NAKEDS campaign - rymo

Greetings everyone!

I have been awarded the rare opportunity to present you with a large sum of the internal work I've completed for Victoria's Secret's new NAKEDS campaign. I wanted to come to RetouchPro to share this collection in hopes some may gain insight/etc from it. (I'll try to revisit the site as my schedule allows to answer any comments/questions/etc.)

Quick Bio: I am a photoshop consultant for Victoria's Secret's new campaigns. I collaborate with Victoria's Secret on the upcoming photoshoots, and then head up the photo processing once the raw drives are sent to the VS offices. From there, I'll retouch many photos, to varying degrees, sometimes final, making a cohesive campaign. My work is then sent to various retouching firms as a basis for what Victoria's Secret is looking for. (I am always already working on new campaigns for Victoria's Secret by the time the print process comes. It would also be virtually impossible for one person to retouch all of the imagery assets for one campaign.) Occasionally I'll retouch some final imagery for TV or mailers, or in this case, for a lookbook.

Concerning the project: The images you will see on my site, are from the Victoria's Secret NAKEDS lookbook. There were just shy of 50 images, completed in 7 days for this lookbook. Not all of the imagery landed exactly where I had envisioned in this timeframe. Retail works on such stringent timelines, that often you only get a few days. Some color work was omitted. However, I feel the lookbook mirrors my style a little bit in the natural look, although as other professionals know, sometimes (always), the client's direction takes precedent.

I won't be posting the plethora of these images here. Instead, you can follow this link to read more concerning the Victoria's Secret campaign, and view the imagery.
http://www.ry-mo.com
(Moderators, if there is a different way you typically handle something like this, please reach out to me.)

Don't be frightened by "NAKEDS." There is no nudity in the NAKEDS campaign, although as always, it's close. This imagery is owned by Victoria's Secret, concepted by the Victoria's Secret creative team, retouched by myself, and photographed by one of Russell James' assistants, Adam.

I hope this thread finds all of you well!
MrRyan
http://www.ry-mo.com

P.S. For anyone wondering, "before" images will not be available.

Last edited by MrRyan; 04-05-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Re: Victoria's Secret NAKEDS campaign - rymo

nice work, thanks for sharing this with us
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up Re: Victoria's Secret NAKEDS campaign - rymo

Very impressive work! Congrats!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. Personally I'd like to know more about your background (primarily training) and experience that put you where you are in this moment. thanks...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2010, 08:02 PM

which retouching firm that you've worked with on these files would you say is the best?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Thanks for sharing, though it's too bad we can't see before images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2010, 01:26 AM

What an awesome position you're in - creating shared dreams. I'm very curious about how one would go about 'making a cohesive campaign'

- Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Can you tell us how these images were lit in studio ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2010, 09:38 PM

creativeretouch & dt231: Thank you, and it's my pleasure!

skydog: I earned a degree in Product Design at the College of Design at The Ohio State University. In my core classes, I developed my initial photoshop skills, by rendering my sketches to look three dimensional. After college, I did some freelance work, then landed a data entry position at Victoria's Secret solely to provide for my wife and I. After 3 months, I talked my way into marketing as a graphic designer. From there, I began to train myself in photoshop, and focused the majority of my time/energy, on obtaining retouching work (at the time Victoria's Secret didn't even have my current position available, i essentially created it by providing a service they saw as valuable.)
I trained with things like Matt Klokowski's Killer Tips (to optimize my workflow), Photoshop User magazine, and a couple of Scott Kelby's books (including Camera Raw). For the most part, I've arrived in this position through many hours of experimenting in Photoshop to solve problems I saw with other retouching, and by continually making hard decisions as to where I wanted to be in the future. Aside from Photoshop, Timothy Ferris' book, "The 4-Hour Work Week", really helped set in stone what my feelings/values were towards working in general. I believe people need to value themselves more, and take more risks. (stepping off soapbox...haha!) Thanks for the comment!

KR1156: During my time working with Victoria's Secret, I have truly enjoyed my correspondance/the people from Impact Digital. The owner is an awesome guy, whom I look up to for his business sense as well as his company's services.

krypticide: You're welcome! I feel you on the "before" images. Unfortunately, that is the nature of the beast.

Nasturtium: Thanks! Once the imagery comes back from the photoshoot, VS first needs to update what the campaign is. Things are constantly changing in retail, and perhaps one of the colors or prints that was shot during the shoot has changed. I will spend some time after image selections have been made, aligning the lighting, color, background, depth of field, etc between all of the selects. After this stage, I'll digitally ensure that the models are wearing the proper product in it's final state. Basically ensuring Victoria's Secret stays as true as possible to the original concept while rolling with the retail punches.

PeterWright: Unfortunately, I cannot reveal specifics concerning the lighting set ups. This question would fall into the specific photographer's territory, and I couldn't in good conscience speak to their techniques.

Thanks everyone!
MrRyan

Last edited by MrRyan; 04-05-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 AM

word on the street is they do some top-notch strip-ins!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching