RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

changing document from TIFF to PSB

Old 04-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Re: changing document from TIFF to PSB

When saving as a photoshop PSD you may have the button unchecked that saves save color profile. That would be the only reason a file would color shift during saving.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 06:56 PM

I am embedding the color profile: the button is checked. I got the 30 day trial of CS4 thinking that CS3 was causing the problem, but the file still doesn't convert from a TIf to a Psd file accurately. In fact when I just make a duplicate of the TIf file, duplicating the file into another Tif file copy, the colors shift. I am not using any layer styles or anything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 01:09 PM

can you crop a copy of this file to 1" by 1" and post it to yousendit.com?..i am curious to see if i get the same results
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 05:28 PM

Well this is the situation. I just downloaded the free trial of CS4. I am getting used to having the images listed in the dock so you can change from image to image without the images floating. If I make a copy of the TIff file it appears identical when it is docked or listed in the tab and when I switch from one image to another by clicking on the different image names. (Don't think this is the proper terminology, but hope you know what I mean.) If I drag a TIFF or PSD copy of the image out from the original so that it is floating and compare the copy side by side with the original, the copy changes looking noticeably different in terms of the overall lightness of the image. Very strange.

I would upload a small copy of the image to yousendit.com, but they will charge me.

By the way, none of my psd files change when I make copies of them.

If anyone wants a small copy of the file to see what I am talking about they can PM me with their email address and I will send you a copy of about i inch square of the image.(I can't send a full scale version or the photographer will kill me.)

Last edited by Caravaggio; 04-16-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 05:30 PM

try this, just in case your file is internally corrupt. while the file in question is open, create new file, set dimensions and color space the same as the original file. the new file should have only one layer in it. start the "manual" duplicate process by dragging layers from the file in question into the new file, one layer at a time, work your way from the bottom up. make sur to hold the shift key while dropping the dragged layer into the new file to maintain alignment. Once done, look at the new file, does it look the same as the troubled one? it should. save the file and see what you get, this hopefully should clear any issue. As I said, this might be some sort of corruption in the "map" section of the original file. I hope it works out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 05:43 PM

I have already done that. I hit the command alt shift E keys on the mac merging the layers into one stamped copy layer and dragged it to a new image with the same dimensions while holding the shift key. I also tried dragging all the layers into a new file with same dimensions while holding the shift key. Same results.

I have gotten so frustrated that I just made a psd copy of the TIFF file which I had worked on for over one week and am just applying a lot of layer adjustments to the image to get it to resemble the original TIFF image that the client likes. I have also reset photoshop CS3 and CS4 to their defaults, switched from CS3 to CS4 and tried working on the file as a different user. PSD files seem more stable on my system or maybe I am just more used to them then the TIFF format.

Last edited by Caravaggio; 04-16-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 07:13 PM

did you do it "one" at a time. If understood what you did correctly, you merged all in one attempt, and dragged all in another. try to do it slightly different this time -this is getting challenging-, after dragging each layer, save close, test, find what is going on, then, if all is OK, proceed to the next layer. You might end up hitting the "bad" layer that is causing the issue.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM

You are correct that is how I did it the first two times.
I just tried to do it the way you suggested dragging one layer at a time to the new document while holding the shift key. I started with the background layer. I didn't go any further than that as the background layer came into the new document looking different than in the original when I did a side by side comparison. There didn't seem any point to proceed moving any more layers (there are about 40) as the background layer already looks different.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 03:08 PM

if the file is not too big to attach, can you duplicate it, delete all the layers except the the first one, the one that did not look right. It does not have to be the entire layer, you can erase/obscure what you don't want us see. Just retain enough info for me and other to replicate the issue, heck, you might want to re-size it to small size to fit [the web] as long as the problem is still there. I have to be able to first replicate the issue before doing any further investigation. as I said, this is interesting and yet frustrating especially if there is client involved and datelines and such.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching