RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to achieve effect on eyes?

Old 04-14-2010, 03:04 PM

Question How to achieve effect on eyes?

Hello All!

New member here and full of questions as I learn to retouch more and more.

I am currently trying to achieve a certain effect when retouching the eyes. Here is a link of an example I am trying to achieve...

http://www.phxws.com/eyes.jpg

It is taken by a photographer Brianna Graham and her website is http://www.briannagraham.com/ to see more photos with this effect.

Any ideas? I have been trying all kinds of different tools and been searching google for some time now.

Thanks,
Adam
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 03:28 PM

Re: How to achieve effect on eyes?

Very much cyan (reduce the red channel), darkened pupil and border of the iris, bright iris and eye whites overall, catchlights and moons are exaggerated.

Which of those things (at first sight that might be about what you want) do you want to replicate :-)?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 04:01 PM

oooh um.. didn't realize there was so many choices =)

I am basically trying to figure out how they made the eyes really blue and if you look close at them it as almost there is an explosion of hues which gives it so much detail.

Maybe its the moon effect... Is it that same effect that they used to do with the pencils and spray before digital days?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 04:03 PM

looking at your portfolio Der W... it looks like you did almost the same effect on the close up of the woman's face right above the girl in the rain with the umbrella
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Okay, let's take a look at my old psd file again :-) (very old indeed, I didn't work too accurate back then)
First I removed the old catchlight with the clone stamp tool and added in a new one (just a shape I created with the path tool), then I used Hue/Saturation to tone down the reds in the eye a little.
The color of the iris was done with a new curves layer on "Color" mode where I took the red channel down quite a bit and added some green and blue to it. After that I lightened the iris again with curves, this time on my composite channel in "Luminosity" mode.
I added in some eye macro shots to give some more definition (extracted the detail with the highpass and added them in with "Soft Light" mode), selected the outer part of the iris, used "Select"-"Modify"-"Border" and created a border, that I afterwards filled with a dark gray on "Multiply" mode, gave the (originally a little yellow) whites a blueish tint (cool colors seem to give the impression of being clearer than warmer ones).
Then I added in some eyeliner, once again with a dark gray and the "Multiply" blend mode and added in some makeup with a new layer on "Soft Light" mode and a purple color.

I hope that'll give you the desired effect :-)

Yes, the moon is exactly that. The reflection of the catchlight on the opposite side (just a little lightening in moon shape).

Edit: Oh, I forgot something important. I dodged and burned the eye whites to clear them and make the transitions look better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM

Yes that is probably exactly what I am looking for, thank you very much. Going to try this all out now and will post up a sample of my efforts for some critique.

Thank You
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 10:40 AM

You can obtain the color by playing with color balance but the key to this effect is dodging and burning the light and dark areas of the pupil respectively, also broadening the iris.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm don't do much retouching, but when I restore a photograph, I like to make it look as good as I can. For this I took an old scan I had on my computer. The image is noisy and faded, so the results are less than perfect, but it had eyes! What I usually use to enhance eyes is Nik's Viveza. It is fast and easy and a great beginning step.

I'll start with a new layer and covert to smart filter. Then open Viveza, create a point on the iris and make the circle include just the eye and as little skin as possible. I up the brightening and contrast and saturation, then save the results.

On a duplicate layer, I will select the whites, go to HS and lighten and reduce sat on red. I use clone or heal to get rid of any distinct bloodshot veins that are left. I do each correction on a new layer so I can mix opacity to get the look I want. I may merge the eye layers when done to reduce file size.

I'll burn a circle around the outside of the iris and darken the pupil. If needed I'll do a little dodging to lighten up a circle around the middle of the iris, use the sponge to increase saturation in the iris, and I'm pretty much done with the inside of the eye.

This doesn't include any work with eyelashes or any of the skin. It's just a fast and easy way to enhance the eyes, which brightens up the whole face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eye 1.jpg (160.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg eye 2.jpg (153.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg print screen viveza.jpg (58.1 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Something also worth trying is to copy the coloured part of the eyes on a new layer, go to unsharp mask, and push the % way up... maybe 150% or more. Season to taste, of course, but it can really put a nice sparkle in blue eyes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Hmmm.... I think I'll copy the different techniques to a document to save so I can look at it later. I bet using a combination of techniques (depending on the photo) would give some very good results. I like the high pass, soft light, multiply ideas and want to try them.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching