RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to get rid of noise

Old 04-19-2010, 08:29 AM

How to get rid of noise

What's the best way to get rid of noise in photoshop? I have seen there are some plugins available like noiseware ect... but im after a photoshop method.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Re: How to get rid of noise

I have some ideas, because I am working on an image with the same issue. But I have some questions first.
What kind of noise? (film, digital?)
where is the noise? in one specific area? or the whole image?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 10:51 AM

Hi, it's just my first post here. :-)

One quick trick is just to re-size the pic and make it smaller. Many problems are going away just by doing this - noise and blurriness.

( That's why I dream now to buy a 5D Mark, to have 21 megapixels and enough to re-size down. )

Another thing that I am doing immediately when I am observing noise is get rid of the colored noise, but keeping all the details. Put a mask on, and paint everywhere, but careful with details as - hair, textures, eyes, lips ( tiny details are interpreted as colored noise )

The rest of the noise will appear uncolored and that's way better. So next steps are from here. Usually I treat the noise manually, treating separate areas different. If the surfaces are hard - metal, shiny I apply surface blur. In the shadows I apply Gaussian, at small amounts 0.3-0.7 it depends. Sometimes in normal mode, sometimes in lighten mode. Always using masks and painting with brushes at different opacity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Hi peeps thanks for the replies.

Hi Amanda,

It's digital and is in 1 area only, located on the ribs/under arms of a women. The noise came about from when I was increasing fill light in ACR.

@tipareth I will give that a try thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 02:11 PM

I use surface blur, with mask and paint in the effect with different opacity.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM

Here are a couple of ways to go about fixing it.
The idea is to not get rid of the texture completely but to mock the natural existing texture surrounding the area. Oh, keep in mind is this for a catalog/ magazine norm size 8x10 or poster size? I am going to assume this is for a normal size print.

1- You could try Spatial Frequency Separation, this has been my favorite way to experiment. Because you separate the detail from the color and contours of the image. Then you would blur the area on the woman on the High layer and replace the texture with another. Simply by using another soft light layer using noise and blur and then noise again and then emboss to taste to make it mock the original texture.

2- If Spatial Frequency Separation isn't your thing, then you can apply the last part just as well. So what I think I would do is this:
a- cut and paste the womans body part with a soft feathered selection above the original pixels. Blur it, I prefer the Box blur, it gives a more accurate representation of the original pixels without losing too much detail. Surface blur too. Blur just enough so you see the texture/noise disappear.

b- Then above that create a soft light layer 50% gray (make sure you link this layer to the layer below otherwise this will be applied to the entire image) and then proceed with the noise btwn 2-5 max on uniform and I prefer monochromatic. Then plain Blur, then noise again about half the amount from the first time, depends on the original texture of the image, remember the goal is to try to match the original texture surrounding.

c- Then, apply emboss, its under stylize. The angle is preference, it changes image to image. Height I usually place btween 30-55 and the amount 100 and up.

d- change opacity of soft light layer if desired, or play with blending modes. Then merge down to feathered selection made earlier.

This procedure will change the weight of the womans body part. You might have to lighten or even darken, in my experience lighten the area because it usually darkens it. Other adjustments are usually needed to be made such as color, sometimes more noise, and if you lose detail, you can always paint or draw it back in, depending on what is lost.

Now I have used these techniques, it takes some time. This is my main formula, I usually tweak it as I go. I don't know if it will work perfectly for your subject, but I think you have a shot. If you would like me to show you, I would be more than happy to apply this to your image and show you the results. Feel free to ask any questions. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

Salut,
Amanda Lauren
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
What's the best way to get rid of noise in photoshop? I have seen there are some plugins available like noiseware ect... but im after a photoshop method.

Any ideas?

Thanks
You might want to take a look at the Lightroom 3 Beta 2.... it has an improved noise removal ability in it's Camera Raw engine and it's a free download while still in beta.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Lauren View Post
Here are a couple of ways to go about fixing it.
The idea is to not get rid of the texture completely but to mock the natural existing texture surrounding the area. Oh, keep in mind is this for a catalog/ magazine norm size 8x10 or poster size? I am going to assume this is for a normal size print.

1- You could try Spatial Frequency Separation, this has been my favorite way to experiment. Because you separate the detail from the color and contours of the image. Then you would blur the area on the woman on the High layer and replace the texture with another. Simply by using another soft light layer using noise and blur and then noise again and then emboss to taste to make it mock the original texture.

Salut,
Amanda Lauren
Thank you so much for that detailed reply. As soon as I read this first paragraph I had a Homer 'Doh' moment. :-) It's always good to have a few ways though so I will try out the other method you suggested too. Will post back results.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
You might want to take a look at the Lightroom 3 Beta 2.... it has an improved noise removal ability in it's Camera Raw engine and it's a free download while still in beta.
Have never used lightroom, but maybe it's time to give it a go. Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
Thank you so much for that detailed reply. As soon as I read this first paragraph I had a Homer 'Doh' moment. :-) It's always good to have a few ways though so I will try out the other method you suggested too. Will post back results.

Thanks again
You are very welcome! My pleasure. I didn't know how else to explain it except in a detailed description. And sometimes when you are so close to the image you can't see the more obvious solutions, glad I could help clear that up. Happens to me too, and then its like oh yea duh- I knew that.lol. Looking forward to seeing your results. Happy retouching.

Salut,
Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2010, 10:51 AM

picturecooler is free
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching