RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

i need a workflow for softening skin

Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 PM

i need a workflow for softening skin

hi everyone,

i need a workflow for softening the skin at the same time preserving the skin texture. i'd read several ideas from other threads but they don't contain enough details that will allow me to follow in photoshop. i hope the gurus are so willing to reveal their workflows regarding this matter.

by the way, i used surface blur filter for softening the skin but it tends remove the texture of the skin and will eventually look like plastic. guys and gals please help me on this one.

thanks,

scott summer
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 07:53 AM

Re: i need a workflow for softening skin

You need to use the search function... there are HUNDREDS of threads containing valuable information.

Perhaps administrators could sticky some of the more successful/beneficial threads...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 AM

What you technically need to do is separate the higher frequencies (pores) from the lower ones (rough skin) and blur just the lower ones.
This thread will get you started: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
And this drives the whole technique a little further: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098

Oh, btw.: Don't use just blur to fix skin, also take a closer look on dodge & burn techniques, because they're the real deal :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 AM

Der_W links to some good stuff. The technique mentioned in the retouchpro-tutorial I have used in the past – AND automated a better non-destructive version of it (using smart filters):
http://adobe.rognemedia.no/?pg=article&id=41 (My version of similar tutorial in norwegian, should be understandable by looking at pictures and using translate.google.com).
Here is my amazing action: http://adobe.rognemedia.no/Band%20Stop.atn (it will stop and ask you for the filter settings, and you can see your image preview while it does this so it is easy to get it right).

Note that this works for removing low-frequency details, and doesn't work well for removing wrinkles etc. For that you should use other techniques.

My workflow usually goes something like this:
0. Duplicate and Liquify body into supermodel-shape
1. New layer above the skin. Use clone stamp and healing brush to clean up.
2. Run Photoshop Action (will create a new layer above current layer). Paint in the mask where i want the filter to affect the skin (be careful around edges).
4. Possbily more cloning/healing.
5. Correcting color using Curves-layers (with masks usually just painted with a soft brush).

(i try to keep everything in layers so it is easy for me to go back "down" in the layers and tweak)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
You need to use the search function... there are HUNDREDS of threads containing valuable information.

Perhaps administrators could sticky some of the more successful/beneficial threads...
i know there are hundreds of threads that contains information related to this thread but i'm not satisfied.

i know how to use the search function since i'm an IT professional. anyway, thanks for the concern...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
What you technically need to do is separate the higher frequencies (pores) from the lower ones (rough skin) and blur just the lower ones.
This thread will get you started: http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=213
And this drives the whole technique a little further: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098

Oh, btw.: Don't use just blur to fix skin, also take a closer look on dodge & burn techniques, because they're the real deal :-)
this is very helpful. i'm so delighted to follow it and i can't wait to the rest of my pics.

thank you thank you so much!!!

Last edited by scott_summer; 04-24-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2010, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain View Post
Der_W links to some good stuff. The technique mentioned in the retouchpro-tutorial I have used in the past – AND automated a better non-destructive version of it (using smart filters):
http://adobe.rognemedia.no/?pg=article&id=41 (My version of similar tutorial in norwegian, should be understandable by looking at pictures and using translate.google.com).
Here is my amazing action: http://adobe.rognemedia.no/Band%20Stop.atn (it will stop and ask you for the filter settings, and you can see your image preview while it does this so it is easy to get it right).

Note that this works for removing low-frequency details, and doesn't work well for removing wrinkles etc. For that you should use other techniques.

My workflow usually goes something like this:
0. Duplicate and Liquify body into supermodel-shape
1. New layer above the skin. Use clone stamp and healing brush to clean up.
2. Run Photoshop Action (will create a new layer above current layer). Paint in the mask where i want the filter to affect the skin (be careful around edges).
4. Possbily more cloning/healing.
5. Correcting color using Curves-layers (with masks usually just painted with a soft brush).

(i try to keep everything in layers so it is easy for me to go back "down" in the layers and tweak)
wow! soo detailed that even my grandma can follow! thank you so much!! i love it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 04:46 AM

Since I wrote the above message I have improved on my action (based on the ModelMayhem.com-discussion) above and thus changed my workflow a little

My action (step 3) now instead of fixing the skin as one layer keeps the high and low frequencies as separate layers so I can edit/clone/heal tones and texture separately (in step 4).
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_summer View Post
i know there are hundreds of threads that contains information related to this thread but i'm not satisfied.
If you're not satisfied with the information found by searching these forums, then something is wrong. Good luck relying on people to hand-feed you information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
If you're not satisfied with the information found by searching these forums, then something is wrong. Good luck relying on people to hand-feed you information.
Craig, i guess you interpret falsely my reply to you. You could be too smart to ingest those information on the other thread you stated, I'm not an expert in photoshop and Im trying hard to learn, please do understand my level coz we are not the same. Anyway, I'm still so lucky to have some retouchpro members providing me lucid workflow, instead of insults that may discourage a newbie like me.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching