RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Nik Colour Efex - How to replicate this in PS?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 PM

Nik Colour Efex - How to replicate this in PS?

There are quite a few plugins around and me personally I have never really tried them as none have really taken my eye but I saw one called Nik Colour Efex and I like the end result.

I was just wondering if this result can be achieved in PS alone?

Thanks

http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Re: Nik Colour Efex - How to replicate this in PS?

The Color Efex is actually a collection of filters, all of which can be replicated in PS alone.
The question is more about the speed and complexity of building them from the scratch.
For example I guess some of the filters have built in controls for the shadows, highlights, middle details, high details etc.
You'll need some more work to achieve the same amount of control in PS.
And I guess Nik was the software with those fancy U-Points (that should help you masking), but knowing how to mask on your own makes this one useless again.

Conclusion: It's a matter of saving time to use those. If you have the extra time, you really shouldn't buy those as they're pretty expensive for the few filters you'll really be using.
I tested the suite, found out that I had used two of the filters more than once and was able to achieve better results in a little more time in PS, so I removed them again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 04:29 PM

On the other hand, I have Color Efex and Viveza, and when I'm working through a large project, the time saving qualities are worth it to me. I also have to say that there are many filters that I don't think I could replicate in PS alone. The film effects is one that I use often. I use the dynamic skin softener often because it is quite controllable and then I can reduce opacity of the layer to get a very natural (but better) look. I really use quite a few of the filters regularly, but not all. Guess it all comes down to what you want to use it for.

Two more that I've never regretted buying are onOne's Photo Tools and Genuine Fractals. I use them daily.

Becky
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM

Do you have an example of the film effects one in use?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 05:05 PM

Okay - I'm gonna try it. I thought that if I did a screen shot, you might be able to see the options. With the reduction in size, I'm not sure how much of the film grain you will be able to see. I started with a layer in a photo art rendition of a dahlia. It has already been worked on at this point, but it is very smooth and artificial looking. The film grain will shift the color slightly and add the grain.

Each of the film effect filters adds the color shift and grain that is natural for that film, then you can adjust the brightness and contrast if you wish. I scroll down through the filters to see how it will affect my image and click on the one I like. It adds the filter on a new layer, which is something that I like. Hope this is helpful.

Becky
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Color Efex Pro screen shot.jpg (197.0 KB, 66 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2010, 05:06 PM

Thanks for that. I had a look on the site too and there is a video showing that one in use too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-24-2010, 02:10 AM

I find those plugins very gimmicky. there is no one button magic bullet. plus they are all built off what photoshop is capable of. so i guess if you can make use of it and it saves you time its ok for some, but for real work, its too generic.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching