Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Capture One

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Capture One

I'm presently shooting with Canon. Someone told me that importing photos through Phase One's Capture One, gives much better quality than importing the same file trough PS Camera Raw 5.7 . What do you think, did you experienced it, I personally thought that a RAW file was just a set of numerical data unmodifiable in Import. Have a good afternoon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Re: Capture One

Capture One is just another piece of S/W that allows you to make a wide range of adjustments to a RAW file just like Adobe Camera RAW. It has a number of presets and algorithms for adjusting skin. Some people claim that Capture One produces more pleasing skin tones than Camera RAW. I personally have no problem getting as good or better skin tones using Camera RAW. You can decide for yourself as Phase One offers a free trial version of Capture One.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2010, 04:19 AM

Personally I really didn't like the sharpening from C1, made a huge mess of edges and lots of noise in shadows. Also I find it has a really strange workflow compared to ACR, but maybe that just takes time to learn and adjust to, there's no way you can get a full screen preview which is just strange. I did however like the control you have over colour and correcting images was easy, I think this is the main selling point for C1.

Maybe oneday I'll go back to it, again, and try to figure it out, ACR is really nicely layed out in a simple and easy way to get through your editing, and ACR in CS5 is gonna be even better.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2010, 04:29 AM

Im one that thinks Capture One has better reds which makes for better skin. BUT, i must say that this and it's way to correct any color (which is white balance based), is the only advantage of this software. Compared to ACR, COne workflow is a real pain in the behind. I only use it for images that rely on skin tone.

PS: I think it's best not to sharpen the raw for anything else than to overcome the anti-aliasing introduced by the camera. Sharpening for other than that, should be done selectively in photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2010, 08:43 AM

I've never been a huge fan for the reasons listed and many more. But I have been playing around with C1 5.1 and I have to say that they have made huge strides in correcting workflow etc. The sharpening I just leave off after setting it all to "0" otherwise it does still affect the image.
But I am also a fan of LR 3 and getting more so everyday.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-30-2010, 01:34 PM

The only advantage I think in C1Pro is the de-moire adjustments it has. It makes stuff a little too soft, but as a starting point it's quite lovely.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching