RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Senior Picture Edits. (What are they?)

Old 04-30-2010, 01:56 PM

Senior Picture Edits. (What are they?)

First and foremost I would like to state that I realize Senior Pictures taken by oneself is more than likely to not come out as good as the professionals. However, horrible pictures coming from professionals do exist (If you search it up, You can tell which.).

That aside, I am attempting to edit several pictures of mine that I have taken to make them look as good if not better than Professionals.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the list of edits one goes through when a 'professional' edits. A general list that could be applied to most situations would be great!

I won't provide a website for senior pictures for an example due to me wanting to see what you think. If I give you a Senior Picture, you will point the edits in just that one.

I have around 5-6 years of Photoshop Experience and 9 years of computer experience. I'm a big techie for a Senior in Highschool. This is just so you may known that I am not someone attempting to figure this all out last moment.

Here are the edits I personally see when I look at a General Senior Picture (I'm a guy, so male edits):
-Darks are Darker, Lights are Lighter
-Blurred Background, but not always.
-SOMETIMES Eyes are made bigger, but this is more feminine.
-Get rid of Blemishes.
-Smoothed Skin (Sometimes this is seen, not always. Too Smooth = Feminine)
-Stray Hairs removed.
-Remove background "trash", if doing a full body portrait or if background shows.
-Saturate, but you could do this just by adjusting the curves.
-Thin a little if person is thick. Not too much.
-Eyes are brighter, usually. Depends on the eye colour.

I'm off to class, I look forward to reading the responses!

Thanks in Advanced for reading this, and an even bigger thanks to those who have tips of any kind ^^.

(I don't need Photo-taking tips, I have done research on this already, and pictures are already taken)

Austin
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 AM

Re: Senior Picture Edits. (What are they?)

I find that Imagic Photo works well for creating professional looking photos, with the lighting as you describe. With the background blur, a simple selection and gaussian blur works well. Retouching and removing blemishes would require the clone or healing tool.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabeticperson View Post
First and foremost I would like to state that I realize Senior Pictures taken by oneself is more than likely to not come out as good as the professionals. However, horrible pictures coming from professionals do exist (If you search it up, You can tell which.).

That aside, I am attempting to edit several pictures of mine that I have taken to make them look as good if not better than Professionals.

I was wondering if anyone here knows the list of edits one goes through when a 'professional' edits. A general list that could be applied to most situations would be great!

I won't provide a website for senior pictures for an example due to me wanting to see what you think. If I give you a Senior Picture, you will point the edits in just that one.

I have around 5-6 years of Photoshop Experience and 9 years of computer experience. I'm a big techie for a Senior in Highschool. This is just so you may known that I am not someone attempting to figure this all out last moment.

Here are the edits I personally see when I look at a General Senior Picture (I'm a guy, so male edits):
-Darks are Darker, Lights are Lighter
-Get rid of Blemishes.
-Smoothed Skin (Sometimes this is seen, not always. Too Smooth = Feminine)
-Stray Hairs removed.
-Remove background "trash", if doing a full body portrait or if background shows.
-Saturate, but you could do this just by adjusting the curves.

I'm off to class, I look forward to reading the responses!

Thanks in Advanced for reading this, and an even bigger thanks to those who have tips of any kind ^^.

(I don't need Photo-taking tips, I have done research on this already, and pictures are already taken)
Hi Austin,

I think your list should be augmented so:

-rotate/straighten exactly
-rough crop
-Auto levels
-color balance finetuning

-Darks are Darker, Lights are Lighter; IF necessary
-contrast enhancement

-in your way of thinking: you could make ears, hands, biceps, and six-packs bigger and more defined... That's 'masculine', isn't it?
-Get rid of Blemishes. Don't overdo that! Or it will be too feminine...!
-Smoothed Skin (Sometimes this is seen, not always. Too Smooth = Feminine) Attaboy!
-Stray Hairs removed. Why? Unkempt hair and a 3 day beard is 'de rigueur' (high fashion) these days!
-Saturate, but you could do this just by adjusting the curves. A matter of personal taste. And often waaay overdone.
-saturate irises.
-dodge catchlights.
-teeth may improve from brightening too.
-fine crop
-save as TIFF
-open TIFF
-resize to final size
-zoom in to 100%
-apply moderate USM
-save as JPG

Last edited by W.Smith; 05-05-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 06:03 PM

Austin,
W. Smith has given some good advice. I have also posted the basic workflow before on RP before. I think I included more steps and processes in that post. However, here is the short version. The actual steps in Photoshop to perform each is up to you; there are numerous ways to do each.

A fairly standard portrait workflow may include:
- color correction;
- removing distracting elements;
- balancing body and facial symmetry;
- reshaping & rebuilding the body;
- perfecting the skin, eyes, hair, etc;
- improving lighting to enhance the product;
- sharpening, soft and hard proofing.

Unless you are given other guidance from the contributor, you may perform some or all of the above. If the image is from a photographer/artist, you will be given some required guidelines as to what may or may not be done.

On RetouchPro, we often assume that it is simply a practice session from someone learning their way through Photoshop and that the image is a beauty retouch with emphasis on marketing a product, not a model. So, we encourage all of the above to be done. Our perspectives on the above are just that… perspectives, not hard and fast rules. Our perspectives may not work for every image. However, that is for the contributor to decide.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching