Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching Practice?

Old 05-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Question Retouching Practice?

Yes, I am another senior who couldn't afford the professional pictures, however I am actually looking to get into the photography business so I figured it may be good practice for me anyways. I'm actually pretty proud of the pictures, but I know they could be a lot better.

I've linked two different pictures, each one with a retouched version I've done along with the original. I wish I could get my eyes to stand out more in the one with my truck, I've tried so many tutorials but I just can't get it right. I always end up looking like an alien, ha. Another thing I'm a little confused on is correct color balance. Does anyone have any tips on that? There's so much to take in on this retouching stuff!

My Dog:

My Truck:

Please through any tips/critiques/suggestions my way, I'd definitely appreciate it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Re: Retouching Practice?

What program are you using to retouch?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 PM

I'm using Photoshop CS4
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:18 PM

hi irunbarrels,

I used mostly Adobe Camera Raw. It's a free download. You can then set up your Photoshop CS4 to open jpgs in ACR first.

In ACR, I chose auto white balance. There is a white balance tool, but that did not work in this case when I tried to neutralize the white of the sweater or the white of the eyeball. The skin was still a little too magenta for my taste. I fixed that late in PS with a Selective Color adjustment layer. Still more magenta than yellow, but not noticeable with the sweater and truck interior.

In ACR still, I clicked on auto-exposure. Then I used the Fill Light slider to lighten you and the Recovery slider to get back the view outside the truck. I did a little sharpening and noise reduction before switching to Photoshop by clicking the Open Image button.

About your concern with the eyes, I put a loose selection of the near eye orbit on a Screen-mode layer, adjusted the layer opacity down until it looked natural. I also desaturated the eyeballs a little.

Finally, I added some glamor glow and saved to the Retouch Pro maximum attachment file size limit of 100k. Note that made a low quality jpeg (only 45) of an already small and blurry original. It would be better for you to redo these steps than to rely on the file I attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 308_by_irunbarrels_fix_100k.jpg (99.0 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM

i use adobe Lightroom and photoshop elements 7.
i do not follow rules set by tutorial of setting white point,black point or finding neutral
grey. i play with temp/tint, levels (all sliders left ,right,mid of all channels r,G, B, Rgb)
never had any proplem of not being able to remove color cast from pictures.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I used to have camera raw, but in all honesty I uninstalled it because I really had no clue what it was. It seems to be worth re-looking into/downloading.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM

you might want to re-shoot the truck and use a Flash. search 'Fill Flash'
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching