RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Over processed color

Old 05-03-2010, 10:39 PM

Over processed color

I suppose it's just me, as it seems to be the rage to over process color on images and make them look grungy, faded, old, copied, etc.... I admit many have an interesting look and provides a "feel" to them, but I guess I've spent too much of my career trying to make photos better: correct color shifts, get the chemicals right to avoid color crossover, and find way to not make a copy neg look like a copy neg. When I see an image with near perfect skin tones and other colors spot on, I am drawn to it and it takes my breath away.

Chuck
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 AM

Re: Over processed color

I had been thinking that the bokeh fad was antithetical to the grunge texture fad. But lately I've realized that they both are manipulations going in the direction of making photographs 'painterly'. As to our preference for perfect skin, symmetrical faces and youthful physiques. I do believe that science is showing that has to do with our instincts to reproduce ourselves.

As our artistic tastes mature we acquire the ability to see beauty is just about anything. Even old faces and urban decay.

Regarding the over HDRed/Neon out of gamut colors. Well, I think that Photoshoppers do it because they can. After working on an image for a long time you lose your objectivity and the outrageous and weird starts to look normal.

How our brain interprets what we see is a fascinating study.

- Nancy
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Nancy, I would agree. Our taste do change. As far as working on an image too long, that reminds me of what they used to tell us when we were color correcting negatives with a video color negative analyzer: Never look at an image too long, as you eyes adjust very quickly, so usually your first fast impression is the correct one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM

Yes, I wonder how many of the wedding and portrait photos I see edited with 'dirty; actions applied will be given to restorers in the future to clean up?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Heath View Post
Yes, I wonder how many of the wedding and portrait photos I see edited with 'dirty; actions applied will be given to restorers in the future to clean up?
I din't even think about that! I pity the poor retouchers!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 01:17 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuebele View Post
I suppose it's just me, as it seems to be the rage to over process color on images and make them look grungy, faded, old, copied, etc.... When I see an image with near perfect skin tones and other colors spot on, I am drawn to it and it takes my breath away. Chuck
Glad you posted this as I thought I was alone in the wilderness

I am generally not too keen on what is done to many images and prefer to see perfect skin and other colours where they should be. But I suppose in a professional environment the client is king and will dictate to the photographer/retoucher the style required.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2010, 01:58 PM

Agreed. I tended to do this prior to working in NYC doing primarily fashion/beauty work because, honestly, I think it's easier to desaturate skin and other tricky colors than it is to get them looking great in 'regular' color saturation levels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I admit many have an interesting look and provides a "feel" to them, but I guess I've spent too much of my career trying to make photos better
I feel the same way about the HDR technique, which seems to be quite popular lately. Yes, it looks awesome, but once you see one after the other, it starts to get old, and am drawn to just regular, old fashioned beautification and image correction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony W View Post
Glad you posted this as I thought I was alone in the wilderness

I am generally not too keen on what is done to many images and prefer to see perfect skin and other colours where they should be. But I suppose in a professional environment the client is king and will dictate to the photographer/retoucher the style required.
And we all know that the client is "Always Right!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraanexact View Post
Agreed. I tended to do this prior to working in NYC doing primarily fashion/beauty work because, honestly, I think it's easier to desaturate skin and other tricky colors than it is to get them looking great in 'regular' color saturation levels.
I do wonder how many others fall on this to make up for lack of color correcting ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad4365 View Post
I feel the same way about the HDR technique, which seems to be quite popular lately. Yes, it looks awesome, but once you see one after the other, it starts to get old, and am drawn to just regular, old fashioned beautification and image correction.
I do too. I do use HDR, but usually only to bring the scene into range and not to add the "look."
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 03:53 AM

For myself I consider it image by image some of them insist on being squeaky clean and other want to be mucked up a bit.

I also think your taste becomes more refined the deeper you get into image manipulation. I admit in the beginning not 'getting' bokeh - photographs were supposed to be in focus - right?

I've played around with HDR but with my novice skill level I seem to get more pleasing results from stacking where I can use/not use the parts I want.

We all bring our entire histories to the table. That's the fun of it - judging things by our individual tastes.

Nancy
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching