RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

correcting patchy skin tone

Old 05-09-2010, 05:52 PM

Re: correcting patchy skin tone

Did have a go with it with several passes of KPT Equalizer (equivalent to the frequency separation technique) applied in color blend mode for the largest radiuses of smoothing. And masking of course.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snap2070.JPG (89.3 KB, 46 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2010, 05:05 AM

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
6- Lastly, The hue/sat move I did I used the magenta channel and manually adjusted the range of magenta, and desaturated -32 and changed hue +14. Then I used mostly curves layers with small color and weighted moves with masks designated to the areas that were still discolored. I balanced the skin color overall as well, adjusting the face.
Right so I got stuck at this bit. I've made a general improvement I think, but its the colour adjustments that I don't get. What do you mean adjusted the range of magenta? You've increased the range of colours which are classed as magenta?

Also - 'small colour and weighted moves'? Sorry, you've lost me again.

This is where I am, I've desaturated Magenta a little (can't really see much difference) and dropped the red of the large splotch under a tiny bit....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382-Edit-3.jpg (90.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (22.7 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom60634 View Post
For simplicity with credible (?) results I used the following steps:

1. Opened file and switched to L*a*b color space.
Sounds like a pretty straight forward method as well, might have a go with this one too, but as you say, I need to go back to the start.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_soft View Post
Right so I got stuck at this bit. I've made a general improvement I think, but its the colour adjustments that I don't get. What do you mean adjusted the range of magenta? You've increased the range of colours which are classed as magenta?

Also - 'small colour and weighted moves'? Sorry, you've lost me again.

This is where I am, I've desaturated Magenta a little (can't really see much difference) and dropped the red of the large splotch under a tiny bit....
Okay first off great job in following what you did so far, its not easy. And yes its more complicated, but nothing about retouching is simple and there are no easy answers or simple formulas. Its all about taking what you know and thinking outside the box. With that said, I've attached a screen shot of the hue/sat that I did (luckily I didn't delete this file yet).

You are correct though, you are adjusting all the colors that are classified as magenta, which in doing this you match or balance to the surrounding color around it. Even if she looks an odd color, if all the tones match you can then make a further adjustment to adjust her skin tone overall. But I did not increase the color, I DESAT the magenta (as shown in photo attached) and then changed the hue of the colors that are classified as magenta. Make sense? Better? I hope. Don't give up, your on the right track.

In the Magenta Range photo I attached, I adjusted the slider to modify the range of colors you are manipulating. When you pull down that menu, it usually goes Master, RED, Yellow, Greens, etc. But once I adjusted the slider it automatically changes the channel name. Hence there are two magenta's and no red.

As far as, small color and weighted moves:
All the moves above the Hue/Sat layer I did are small color moves, meaning setting a point on the curve line and moving the input/output levels in small increments. I attached another photo for an example. Weighted meaning, in the Master channel in curves, making the image or area of pixels selected darker or lighter is all. If you can see in the previous post I had or even this one, all the masks have small selections to help balance the skin overall. Along with, I labeled what I took out or added, -c+y, aka - Cyan or + Red and + Yellow or - Blue. -Weight aka lighten image.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. I am used to teaching these things in person. There are 100s of ways to remove splotchy-ness. Each image will vary in which techniques are used, and you probably could use LAB in conjunction with what I suggested and probably able to achieve a more simplistic way of at least modifying the color. I hope this helps, feel free to ask me more questions. Keep at it. Happy retouching!

Salut,
Amanda
Attached Images
File Type: png Hue:Sat Magenta CH.png (29.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: png Magenta Range.png (7.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png Small Curve Move.png (48.5 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 AM

No, thanks for all the detail, my retouching before now has been fairly basic so the more detail the better.

All makes sense but I can see there's going to be a lot of trial and error! I'll see how I get on when I'm at home tonight.

Then I only have another 10 shots from the shoot to sort out! haha...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Your welcome, anytime! Have fun.
Good Luck with the other 10 shots too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2010, 10:31 PM

So this where I got to. I could have spent a lot more time on the dnb part, and probably been more carefuly and experimental with the colour shits and weight moves, but I'm pleased with how much better it is.

Thanks for all the help, I've certainly learnt a lot and got some other techniques I need to try out.

Amanda - can I ask why you adjusted the magenta? I did this on my shot but really didn't notice much difference. Anyway, I think I understand the theory of why you were adjusting the colours, and while my layers look very different to yours I guess thats just what happens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382-Edit-3.jpg (99.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (30.2 KB, 19 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_soft View Post

Amanda - can I ask why you adjusted the magenta? I did this on my shot but really didn't notice much difference. Anyway, I think I understand the theory of why you were adjusting the colours, and while my layers look very different to yours I guess thats just what happens.
Glad your understanding it all a little better...

...your really makin' me think this one out aren't you?! lol... I'm kidding, I'm glad to help...
So, I adjusted the magenta for a couple reasons. One being pure instinct (reflex? ... lol), sorry. I don't know if this skill is just developed with time and practice or if this is innate (or both). It's hard to pin point one particular thing, but the color or hue that I viewed was accentuated in a negative way and it was particularly warm the skin, which was causing the color blotchy-ness (along with other factors that are more technical and have nothing to do with RT-ing). I went into the red channel first under hue/sat and then I started playing with the desat slider and expanded the range slider a little further into the magenta's and I was pleased with the result, I think it went alil green slightly before I made other corrections. I will say one thing though we are both different people with different thought processes etc. (and maybe our monitors are calibrated differently. I have a LaCie 526) So it might not look exact as to what I did.

I attached 3 shots. One completely before, 2nd with hue/sat move w/o Softlight layer (cause this makes a huge difference) and 3rd is hue/sat w/ Softlight layer. (sorry for the shot size inconsistency).

Jay, if you don't mind me asking, what is your background in? (i.e.: I have traditional training in drawing and painting and a BFA in photography.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magent-Cast.jpg (80.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Removed-Cast-w_o-SL-.jpg (77.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Removed-Cast-w_-SL.jpg (69.2 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda_Lauren View Post
. (and maybe our monitors are calibrated differently. I have a LaCie 526) So it might not look exact as to what I did.

Jay, if you don't mind me asking, what is your background in? (i.e.: I have traditional training in drawing and painting and a BFA in photography.)
Yeah, unfortunately my monitor is uncalibrated right now - a major issue I know needs fixing. I'm just using a bog standard Phillips HD LCD. I did have the issue with it going green too. I also wonder if the fact you were working off my low res file makes a difference? it was a 18mp uncropped shot I was working from.

hah.. my background?! well, I'm a Mancunian... only joking. Although I am from Manchester. I work as an account manager in ad agencies, and have a history degree. Although I have taken courses in graphics and web design, plus my gf is a graphic designer and used to do a lot of architectural retouching, so I do pick her brain at times. Although our skills have gone in completely different directions.

We do have two full time retouchers here who I'm mates with - and all our work goes through them rather than being sent out - fashion/cars/product etc, and i know they're a high standard and have been in the game for a long time (one guy started out on paint box!) but I often feel a bit stupid picking their brains and/or showing them my shots. Leaning over their shoulders to quiz them on colour correction when they've spent three days inserting a car and man into a swimming pool for a 3x10 meter outdoor ad is a bit intimidating.

I'm also leaving in 2 weeks so that resource won't be as easy to tap.

EDIT: So I clearly don't have the technical/artistic foundation you have. I have had a limited amount of formal teaching, but most of what I know is self taught - either via books, in person or the web. I've been using photoshop for a bit over 2 years. You can see my final edit here, along with a variety of other okay and not so okay shots of mine - http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaysoft/4614685883/ I wanted to balance the size of her eyes as one is slightly closed I think, but I wasn't confident using the techniques I know with her veil.

Last edited by jay_soft; 05-17-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: updated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2010, 08:22 AM

Yea I am sure the fact that I was working on a JPG didn't help, I mean I didn't mind it going green a little the skin bc at least the color wasn't blotchy anymore at that point. I was just trying to give a run down of what I did, I'm sure if I went to do the same thing again on the same image it probably wouldn't be exactly like I did the first time either, ya know? lol

Very nice, you should not feel bad about picking their brains. I do it to my brother (he is a theoretical physicist) all the time as well as other people (co-workers), I am always asking why and how. Its how we learn. Along with teaching ourselves of course.

Your photography though is quite beautiful (like I want to hang it on my wall kind of beautiful), its really good. Interesting angles and lighting. they are crisp. I like the Untitled shot, reminds me of Requiem for a Dream when Jared Leto runs out onto the boardwalk running for his love and she isn't there...kind of a sad moment in the movie, but just the shot itself reminds me of that pier. Anyway, you should make a website for your work. Keep at the retouching stuff, you'll get the hang of it eventually. I've been working with photoshop for 10 years, so it doesn't exactly happen over night, and I am certainly no expert either (I'm working on it though ).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching