RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

correcting patchy skin tone

Old 05-05-2010, 04:06 AM

correcting patchy skin tone

I've got this shot from a recent amateur shoot I was at. I've done a bit of cleaning with the heal tool, but now I want to even out the blotchy colour on her upper chest. I realise there must be some way to adjust the colour values for particular areas but I'm really not sure of the best method, and all the tutortials/tips I could find were for correcting all the skin, not matching one area to another..

Any help or direction to a good tutorial would be appreciated.

thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382-Edit.jpg (89.5 KB, 339 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 06:40 AM

Re: correcting patchy skin tone

Hi,

You could try a lasso selection with a pixel feather radius of 20 or more, depending on the file size, and with the selection create a new curves or hue/sat adjustment layer. You can then just modify that specific area, and repeat as many times as needed for the other areas.

I had a quick go so its not complete but on the right track. I did a bit of dodging and burning with 2 curves adjustment leves one to lighten and one to darken, then painting into the masks. By doing this you can also control (to some extent) any orangy/grey saturation shifts by copying their layer masks into a new hue/sat adj layer. The larger blotchy areas can be delt with by the method I mentioned above. Also I desaturated the yellows a fair bit, and also bit of reds on the entire chest area.

This is how I would do it, though there are others ways. Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

Rob
webiste http://www.robertdewey.net
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colour fix.jpg (90.8 KB, 171 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 07:50 AM

Hi Jay,

There are a couple of ways to fix the blotchy skin.

1- DnB technique. Using preferably curves on luminosity mode, one dark, one for lightening. Mask. and Painting in where necessary with your brush on low opacity and flow. (or 50% softlight gray layer)

2- You can create curves with single color moves, mask them out and also paint back in where desired to match colors.

3- Blank layer, on color mode, paint opposite color of problem area to remove color splotchy-ness. (or you could also play for brush mode)

4- Selective color is brilliant in the right circumstances.

5- Along with hue/sat under the specified channel using the eyedropper to select the range of color you want to adjust.

I would play around with a combination of these to reduce/remove the blotchy-ness in skin. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Salut,
Amanda
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_soft View Post
I've got this shot from a recent amateur shoot I was at. I've done a bit of cleaning with the heal tool, but now I want to even out the blotchy colour on her upper chest. I realise there must be some way to adjust the colour values for particular areas but I'm really not sure of the best method, and all the tutortials/tips I could find were for correcting all the skin, not matching one area to another..

Any help or direction to a good tutorial would be appreciated.

thanks.
Duplicate; change blend mode to Overlay, invert; Filter/Other/Highpass at 15 (?) pixels; OK; Filter/Blur/Gaussian at 15(?) pixels or until the blotches are blended; OK; apply a mask, fill it with black and with a soft low opacity white brush, apply to the blotched areas. I then added a bit of overall sharpening.

Cheers!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jay_soft.jpg (99.7 KB, 214 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 PM
Patron

Jay, two primary solutions come to mind to address this problem.
The first thing I would do in any case is open the image in Camera RAW and in the HSL Panel, in the Hue tab, drag the Red (top) slider to +50. That will even the skin tone and get rid of the red polution so that the color is pretty uniform.
Next the two options are:
1. Add a DeGrunge layer (HP radius = 40. GB Radius = 4.5). This is the quick method. You have a high res image so you will need to probably need to use different radii values.
2. The slower method would be to create a set of Dodge and Burn layers and equalize the luminosity across the image.

Since her skin on the neck and chest is pretty smooth and you do not have a lot of detail to preserve, method 1 would be my choice. Result can be seen in the attachment.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jay Soft Patchy Skin MM Degrunge.jpg (187.5 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 05-05-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 06:29 AM

wow...so many options. thanks for all the help.

I tired the simplest first, boosting the red hue in lightroom then running a degrunge layer. It was an improvement but at the levels where I get rid of the blotchyness the smoothing is too great and I'm loosing too much detail. I tried a few different settings (following retouch pro tutorial method). I'm guessing lack of experience is playing a part as well - but my feeling is the discolouration (particuarly straight underneath her chin) is too much for the degrunge to handle. Or maybe I should be using degrunge and then tackling this dark patch with something else afterwards?

Gary - Tried your method at both 15 pixels, higher and lower, didnt really have much of an impact.

I've got no experience with dnb method, I know I can look up a tutorial but it sounds more time consuming than I would like.

Amanda - I just dont understand the actual process of most of the colour methods your describing. I've tried using a curves layer with red pulled low and painting over the dark patches but it just gives a weird blue.

I just dont think I know enough or appreciate the technique to do these. What sort of brush size should I be using, maybe I'm going in too large..?

Any there any good resources that can tell me the best way at identifying what my colour problem is with the larger dark area?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 AM

ahhhh..just getting frustrated and confused.

Right, so I went robrasil's degrunge route again. I went back to my original file, boosted red hue to 40, ran HP 3 GP 1 and did a quick/rough mask of her shoulders/neck.

It's better but should I have gone further with the degrunge layer? or is the only way to remove the white blotches to go with a dnb layer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382-Edit-2.jpg (81.4 KB, 58 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:

Amanda - I just dont understand the actual process of most of the colour methods your describing. I've tried using a curves layer with red pulled low and painting over the dark patches but it just gives a weird blue.

I just dont think I know enough or appreciate the technique to do these. What sort of brush size should I be using, maybe I'm going in too large..?
Sorry for being so vague- I am going to break it down for you. I am working on it now, and then I'll explain exactly what I did. Hopefully this will help. Give me about an hour or so.

ALD
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-06-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Jay-
So I did something slightly different than I originally told you. Even though I know those other techniques work. Brush size, usually on the smaller size, soft brush. Zoomed in at least 100% if not 200-400% depends on image. With the curves you can either paint manually with small brush (did you change your opacity and flow of the brush? That would make a difference), or I made manual selections with a large feather and made masks from that.

So here is what I did-
1- Spatial Frequency Separation- duplicate the original layer twice. Take the second layer or middle, bc there should be 3 when this is done, and Gaussian blur it 10.

2- Then take the top layer go to Apply Image under Image, and Set LAYER to your Gaussian blurred layer, channel leave as RGB. Then blending mode Subtract, scale 2, offset 128. It will turn gray, looking like a highpass. Click ok. Set this layer to Linear Mode. Now you have high and lo frequency layers. Detail above, and shapes and color below.

3- Then I used the Desaturate brush (its with the dodge and burn tools) at 100% on the the Hi layer (linear light layer) on the chest area. This removed much of the color issues, and exposed the smooth color transitions below it.

4- Then I used clone and healing brush on the Hi Layer to get rid of some major imperfections.

5- Then I created a 50% gray soft light layer between the hi and lo layer. Painting with a regular brush, small, and image zoomed in. I selected the darkest area of color and the lightest to paint with. Don’t paint with white and black, it makes it gray. Paint with the lightest and darkest variables from the skin. I used flow on 20% and opacity anywhere from 2-7%. I continued to paint out the extra blotches with this technique. (This is the DnB technique, it takes some time and practice, but its one of the most effective ways of removing blotches, you can also do this with two separate curves on luminosity mode. And once you get the hang of it, its much easier and its fun.)

6- Lastly, The hue/sat move I did I used the magenta channel and manually adjusted the range of magenta, and desaturated -32 and changed hue +14. Then I used mostly curves layers with small color and weighted moves with masks designated to the areas that were still discolored. I balanced the skin color overall as well, adjusting the face.

Ta-DAH!

Please feel free to ask me any questions. I hope this clears things up for you. Happy retouching.

Salut,
Amanda
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SplotchySkinOrig.jpg (57.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg SplotchySkinFix.jpg (59.7 KB, 163 views)
File Type: png WorkFlow.png (33.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: png SoftlightLayer.png (73.9 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by Amanda_Lauren; 05-06-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 PM

For simplicity with credible (?) results I used the following steps:

1. Opened file and switched to L*a*b color space.
2. Selected the area that I wanted to smooth.
3. Used Command J (MAC system) to put selection on its own layer.
4. Used Filter>Blur>Surface Blur with a setting of Radius 13 Threshold 9.
5. Created white mask and with a very soft brush at about 15% opacity I
stroked along clavicle.
6. I then used the Mask panel to create a suitable feather.
7. I opened a curves adjustment layer and clipped it to the layer below
I adjusted the Luminance to blend the selection with the rest of photo, an
extremely small move in the a channel added a slight pinkness to the
selection.
8. I then returned to the RGB color space.

I used the L*a*b color space to take advantage of the Luminance channel which helped avoid any color shifts with the blur. This blur should have been used much earlier in the work flow for optimum results.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1382-Editw.jpg (88.2 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by tom60634; 05-08-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching