RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Old 05-16-2010, 12:09 PM

Re: Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenedangel View Post
I am currently trying to improve my retouching and get it to the standard of the photos you see in fashion magazines.

I am trying to achieve a good level of sharpening to do at the end of the retouch and wondered if anyone could share their sharpening process with an example picture of how it looks?
To sharpen your image, you might want to experiment with the high pass filter....

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/p...pen-high-pass/

Use a mask to apply the sharpening only to specific areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
To sharpen your image, you might want to experiment with the high pass filter....
But... high pass sucks
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:14 PM

To make the image sharp, delete or lower the opacity of the low frequency layer. Also you can manipulate the hf's contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:27 PM

Yeah I've used high pass and unsharp mask in the past and they suck.

What is the point of the low frequency layer if you are just deleting it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:41 PM

If you're interested in sharpening, you're interested in the hf of the image, not the lf.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenedangel View Post
Yeah I've used high pass and unsharp mask in the past and they suck.

What is the point of the low frequency layer if you are just deleting it?

First of all, without the LOW you can't have the HIGH - Because one is based on he other, what you do with apply image is create the exact opposite of the LOW. High pass should do this, create the exact opposite of a Low pass ( G Blur) but it oesn't cuz it sucks.

Two: this technique is not only used to sharpen - It's use for a lot of things

I directed you to the thread but you haven't read it. It's a long read I know, but worth it. We can't just spoon feed you the information.

Get used to researching WHY it works so you can experiment ith it. And not just follow recipes....

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 02:06 PM

I'd like to get the texture/ sharpening on the skin in this image

http://Ruud92.deviantart.com/art/Kin...Nose-132062699
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
First of all, without the LOW you can't have the HIGH - Because one is based on he other, what you do with apply image is create the exact opposite of the LOW. High pass should do this, create the exact opposite of a Low pass ( G Blur) but it oesn't cuz it sucks.

Two: this technique is not only used to sharpen - It's use for a lot of things

I directed you to the thread but you haven't read it. It's a long read I know, but worth it. We can't just spoon feed you the information.

Get used to researching WHY it works so you can experiment ith it. And not just follow recipes....

x
I have read the thread but it is all a bit complicated for me, it all gets a bit confusing as I'm not so good at maths :o( i honestly want to understand but it confuses me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
But... high pass sucks
With all due respect, you've been at this a few more years than I and you obviously have more experience, so why don't you explain why, in your opinion, high pass sucks? Because someone said so on MM? Oh please! Maybe you could simply explain how to sharpen an image by using the (blurred) low frequency layer and the high frequency layer. This method doesn't work for sharpening an image unless the low frequency layer has a very low opacity or is turned off completely... and then the high frequency layer must be adjusted as far as opacity and/or blending modes go (ultimately, a simple high pass layer). So, please do tell us how you would go about sharpening an image since "high pass sucks".

I realize that it takes talent, years of studying, a great deal of experimentation and TONS of patience to arrive at a desired level of expertise but I don't understand why, for you, it's so complicated to give a simple explanation! I'm sure that in the beginning, you had questions and that someone was able to provide a bit of information....and I'm positive that you invested hours of hard work to perfect your technique! Not everyone is looking for the easy way out... With everything that I've learned here, I almost feel obligated to share something. I'm thankful to everyone here at RTP that answered my questions, or without knowing, gave me valuable information! I can understand not wanting to give out a "recipe" (in any case, THERE ARE NO RECIPES here or anywhere else) but in the end, there's tons of info out there... It doesn't take much to explain a thing or two for an expert like you... Please don't get me wrong!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
So, please do tell us how you would go about sharpening an image since "high pass sucks".
High pass sucks - I used to use this split technique a long time ago, but with the actual photoshop default "high pass" And I stopped because of the limitations and inaccuracies of the filter.
Black and white clipping point get ignored in the edges selection. It's not a perfect representation of the opposite of a low pass (G blur) as it should be. There for,not to be trusted for anything that needs accuracy.

In that same thread, there are a lot of explanations of how to do exactly what you are asking. I'm not hiding anything. Everything is there.

There's also actions designed to make the process faster (even tho I don't use them because i like manual things) http://www.nunuvyer.biz/Photoshop/Frequency.zip or http://www.nunuvyer.biz/Photoshop/Frequency-A.zip (Photons uploaded loads of them, these are some links, you should look up the one you want or think you need according to your specifications.
The action works in 8 and 16 bits.

How to use a curve to sharpen:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...=3#post9608495

And a VIDEO that SHOWS how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnLzsZN7VMo

This is one of my videos using the split to create a accurate highpass to then inverted to smooth hair light/shadows transitions
https://www.digitalphotoshopretouchi...utorials-dvd-2

And all of this TO ME is SPOON FEEDING.

Everything is in that thread. If you take the time to read it all and experiment you get it, eventually.

And taking the time to actually go and find each specific link is not my idea of helping. I just did it to prove to you that is is, in fact, all there.

x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching