RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Old 05-20-2010, 12:21 AM

Thumbs up Re: Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenedangel View Post
Hiya thank you for your response, Im gonna stick at it and give it a try Just a question though as I normally retouch in 8bit.

Do you suggest it is better to retouch in 16bit? I use a Canon 5D camera, is it possible to actually change a setting in the camera that means you can shoot in 16b and what are the differences between 8 bit?
You can change the settings to RAW. By default, RAW is set to 12 bits. After the editing in Camera RAW, open it as a TIFF file of 16 bits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 12:23 AM

Re: Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
You need to sit and read the full thread. Ignore all the "thank you thank you Sean you're the cutest geek ever (which he is) and learn a lot of applications for this split.

A- The "gray layer" (High frequency - Details) is blended linear light, not luminosity...

B- The "blur" (Low Frequency - Contour and most color information)

A+B= IMAGE

If you remove the blur then the whole image is going to be really really sharp. But this is not the best way to do that.

Read through the whole thread, don't look for just recipes.

Splitting the image in two/more frequencies is a very very old trick, and one of the best ones. LEARN it properly and its variations.

xx
Hey GodMOther, how do you split the image in more frequencies? By using different ratios?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM

Wink Re: Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Hey [...], how do you split the image in more frequencies? By using different ratios?
Basically jugenjury said it some postings above yours :-)

Duplicate the low layer, blur the bottom one a little and use the same procedure as for your initial split.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 10:51 AM

Image Sharpening with Total Control of Sharpness Position and Intensity...High Pass Aside.

From a workflow perspective I always apply selective sharpening to my images at the last step and in the final resolution.

By "Selective Sharpening" I mean that I sharpen only in the places where I want it sharp... and I precisely control the intensity and the placement of the sharpening effect. I can do multiple sharpness fixes in one image and have that sharpening be applied exactly how and where I want to see it. One sharpness setting for the whole image is OK sometimes...but I like to make every area of the image perfect...so I might need 3 different kinds of focus or sharpening enhancements to make the image really pop.

I use different kinds of sharpening... and different radius of sharpening... to fix or enhance different areas of the image... in order to correct for different kinds of sharpness problems. I do NOT usually use whole image sharpening all by itself as the last step... because... in sharpening one part of the image...it might bring out unwanted grain or noise in another part of the image (Usually the case).

For example: I might use a fine 1 pixel radius for sharpening the iris of the eyes and some fine hair detail in an image that is already fairly sharp but needs some final POP in the image. But I might use a 2 or 3 or 5 pixel radius to correct for images that were not properly focused by the camera itself and are hardly usable. I would Paint this coarse sharpening around the big details and it would look very edgy and have a lot of ringing edge detail in it. This kind of sharpening would ruin the image if it was applied globally. But because I can apply the high intensity sharpening to only very small selective details in an image...it can sometimes save an image that was poorly shot even.

How to Do it: I make a duplicate of the image on a separate layer and apply the required global sharpening to the entire image, and I might even over do the sharpening just a little bit, because im not going to use all of it everywhere in the image. Next, I add a black (Hide All) layer mask to the layer. When I do this... all of the sharpening I just did disappears. I then paint on the layer mask with a soft low opacity (15%) white brush. Where ever the white brush paints...that is the exact place that gets the sharpening. I can control the intensity and position of the sharpening anywhere in the image like this. The rest of the image stays the same.

I use this method to selectively paint on sharpness, as much as I want, where ever I want, and not have it add noise or edge artifacts to the entire image. I might make one layer for fine detail sharpening effects, one layer for coarser sharpening effects and mask them...and yes...get this...likewise...I can even take a layer and add strong camera blur to the image on that layer...and now I can selectively paint on camera blur exactly where its needed and wanted. An image that has both sharpness and blur in the same image can really help focus your viewer to concentrate on whatever you want to highlight.

So now I have complete artistic control of multiple applications of sharpness and blur together in an image...and i can use that technique to force the viewer to zero in on whats most important to me.

And dont worry about multiple layers and file sizes...drive space is cheap these days...and its worth the creative final touches.

Cheers,

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 05-20-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Heres my first attempts with sharpening and also the dodge and burn technique, would love your opinion.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2552902_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1347490_n.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 05:23 PM

I used Godmothers technique of using two frequency layers and I reduced the blur layer and smart sharpened the top one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Heres my first attempts with sharpening and also the dodge and burn technique, would love your opinion.

Hard to tell exactly what you did without a before to compare. It does look nice to me, though. I like it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:

Darkenedangel - I might like it - I have a hard time getting past the cut-out looking hair. That needs to be addressed before going any further. Sorry.

--shift studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 PM

I can say say though, that I think you have over-sharpened. You can can see steps in the hair, and skin is looking dry. I think if you are going to sharpen this hard, you need to go back in and clean up the small white/bright details you've enhanced.
Good work, but needs some more love (work).
--shift studio
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagLady View Post
Nice photos!
Hi BagLady: I'm a newbie here in this great forum, and also using the D&B technique. I've been trying very hard to get that smooth silky look of the skin but I can't get with it. If I go too far with the dodging the picture looks blury, if I don't go too far the picture looks kinda dirty. I guess there is something more to the technique that retouchers won't reveal and I understand that. I came interested in the D&B technique when I saw Ruud Van Dorm works, and I thought, I want to learn how to do that, he is really good.

The other thing is I don't quite understand this High and Low "frequency" talk. I try not to use blur on the retouch, but for what I've seen so far the pictures of the Pros look "to me" with some kind of surface blur, although I also know that the Pros don't use blur. In fact I've done better works using a small amount of surface blur (lowering the opacity) than not using blur at all. Maybe it is the fact that I'm not a photographer or a graphic artist, I don't even know how to draw and I have problems with the shadows and highlights, on the other hand I think there must be something that I'm not doing (in PS) that will give me that smooth touch result, keeping the natural skin look.

What am I missing?
I'll really appreciate your feedback.

Here are my first works using D&B. There are a couple of them not done with D&B. http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/gallery/
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching