RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Old 05-24-2010, 10:12 AM

Re: Fashion Retouching Sharpening

Sometimes I also try a fill gray 50% layer, adding noise and emboss filter, it imitates something similar but not quite the same of that nice skin texture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneappetit View Post
If I go too far with the dodging the picture looks blury, if I don't go too far the picture looks kinda dirty.
You just said it. You're either going to far or not far enough. It's a matter of experience.

Quote:
I guess there is something more to the technique that retouchers won't reveal and I understand that.
I know many retouchers who reveal all of there techniques. Try for example Godmother's DVD (http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...utorials-dvd-2) - high end retouching, no secrets, no speed-ups etc.
But really: there is no secret technique in retouching.
Everything could as well been done with the standard dodge & burn tools (if you were crazy enough, you could even colorize hair with them... but that's a different idea ;-)).

Quote:
The other thing is I don't quite understand this High and Low "frequency" talk.
Check this out: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098.
High frequency simply means details, lower frequencies are the rougher parts of an image.

Quote:
I try not to use blur on the retouch, but for what I've seen so far the pictures of the Pros look "to me" with some kind of surface blur, although I also know that the Pros don't use blur.
Do, whatever works best for you :-).
In fact I know of some pros, who use blur, while others hardly judge it.
My opinion is, that it can help and save time, but has to be applied in a way, nobody would ever notice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Thanx a lot Jonas, for your quick and clear help. I really appreciate it.

Boneappetit
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift studio View Post
Darkenedangel - I might like it - I have a hard time getting past the cut-out looking hair. That needs to be addressed before going any further. Sorry.

--shift studio.
I was worried about the hair.

Is this better

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5319093_n.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 12:27 PM

Before anyone gets into specifics about what tool to use for sharpening (high pass with this or that option etc), take a step back and define what you are sharpening and where. A good intro would be this very old piece that is still relevant today:

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/20357.html

Note that this idea is almost fully implemented in Lightroom (capture sharpening in develop, output in Print) from the work of Mr. Fraser and the Adobe team.

A truly non destructive sharpening workflow, one that is mated with now excellent noise reduction in LR3/ACR6, one that is based on the size of the image and in LRs print module, based on size makes life so much easier. Faster too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 02:03 PM

Hi, thank you again for the tip to really READ the thread Godmother.
Now i understand how to separate the high and low frequencies.
Im confused to what to do with it. I have no problem with sharpening, and even with the
inverted high pass (which Godmother has posted from 2008) i managed to even out the light and shadow. I read about healing brush, stamp, etc on either the high or low frequency which I am really LOST. Can anybody help???
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM

Not the best video in the world, but I don't make videos often so I'm rusty.

http://www.model-citizens.com/Tutori...paration-1.wmv

This just gives some basic tips on some things you can do once you separate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugenjury View Post
Not the best video in the world, but I don't make videos often so I'm rusty.

http://www.model-citizens.com/Tutori...paration-1.wmv

This just gives some basic tips on some things you can do once you separate.
I think you made a good, to-the-point video. I liked it.

--Shift Studio. (finding reasons not to work this afternoon)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkenedangel View Post
I was worried about the hair.

Is this better

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5319093_n.jpg
nice work!
I think the whole image looks better! the hair edges look pretty good. I still think there might be some over-sharpening going on, but its tough to tell if its due to the resize/compression. Maybe you can post a larger image for RetouchPro users to review?

--Shift Studio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Hi BagLady: I'm a newbie here in this great forum, and also using the D&B technique. I've been trying very hard to get that smooth silky look of the skin but I can't get with it. If I go too far with the dodging the picture looks blury, if I don't go too far the picture looks kinda dirty. I guess there is something more to the technique that retouchers won't reveal and I understand that. I came interested in the D&B technique when I saw Ruud Van Dorm works, and I thought, I want to learn how to do that, he is really good.

The other thing is I don't quite understand this High and Low "frequency" talk. I try not to use blur on the retouch, but for what I've seen so far the pictures of the Pros look "to me" with some kind of surface blur, although I also know that the Pros don't use blur. In fact I've done better works using a small amount of surface blur (lowering the opacity) than not using blur at all. Maybe it is the fact that I'm not a photographer or a graphic artist, I don't even know how to draw and I have problems with the shadows and highlights, on the other hand I think there must be something that I'm not doing (in PS) that will give me that smooth touch result, keeping the natural skin look.

What am I missing?
I'll really appreciate your feedback.

Here are my first works using D&B. There are a couple of them not done with D&B. http://boneappetit.deviantart.com/gallery/

Ciao Boneappetit and welcome to RTP! :-)

I missed your post and only read it today.... It's nice to know that you're interested in learning d&b. Don't expect to get perfect results right away! It takes time, practice and tons of patience to master the technique especially if you don't know how to draw.... I'm not saying that it's necessary, but it makes things a lot easier! However, having a basic understanding of highlights/shadows is a definite must. That's what d&b is all about... correcting the bad highlights and the nasty shadows, whether big or small. Highlights and shadows give depth to a surface, sometimes good and sometimes very bad. You have to be able to determine what's good and what's not. Studying different objects (not photos) with smooth and rough surfaces (or people) in different light sources (left, right, above, below, straight on) might give you a better understanding of what shadows and highlights do. You might even want to consider taking a drawing class if you'd like to become a professional retoucher.....

In any case, there are no secrets to d&b.... Just learn what shadows and highlights do! And then, try again.... Try d&b with the dual curves method and try with the soft light 50% gray fill method... see what works for you. With the soft light 50% gray fill method you have the possibility to select your brush color.... a light green brush works great for red blemishes (opposite colors correct saturation problems). Experiment with brush opacity/size and various zooms...

As far as the "high and low frequency talk" goes: It's a method to split your image in two... The blurred, low frequency layer stays on the bottom... here's where you correct the big blotches and color problems. The high frequency layer stays on top and contains all of your detail.... This is where you correct blemishes, wrinkles, stray hairs, etc. without making a mess of underlying pixels. On top of the high frequency layer, a lovely curve with a clipping mask may be applied to give great contrast to the image (or simply used to see flaws).

I would suggest that you master d&b before trying to tackle the split frequency (one thing at a time!). In any case if you're interested, see Godmother's kind suggestions and links (in this thread, post # 20).

If you have any questions, fell free to ask.... I promise, I won't miss your post again ;-)

Goos luck! :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching