RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Add skin shine

Old 05-16-2010, 08:00 AM

Add skin shine

Hey does anybody got some tips for creating the highlights in the skine to shine/glow? I was checking out Amy dresser web site and i really liked the picture thats initially comes up: http://www.amydresser.com/
I`m not sure what she does. Maybe pick higlights with colorange and create a curve adjustment to make the highlight stronger and then blur it out. I tried that but i didn`t feel i got the same effect. So i would appreciate if anyone could give me some input
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 08:33 AM

Re: Add skin shine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Hey does anybody got some tips for creating the highlights in the skine to shine/glow? I was checking out Amy dresser web site and i really liked the picture thats initially comes up: http://www.amydresser.com/
I`m not sure what she does. Maybe pick higlights with colorange and create a curve adjustment to make the highlight stronger and then blur it out. I tried that but i didn`t feel i got the same effect. So i would appreciate if anyone could give me some input
Mybe her psd could answer that question for you

http://www.fearofbodd.com/ADresserSample_RET.psd

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Thank you so much Godmother. So if i understand things right ,she paints the highlights with white at low opacity and then blurred it out? Thats it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Thank you so much Godmother. So if i understand things right ,she paints the highlights with white at low opacity and then blurred it out? Thats it?
Haven't seen the psd. Not really a fan, but since you were asking specifically for her style, I thought the psd could have the answer. Sorry I can't help you further.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM

She said that her "secret" is to set the foreground color to white and then select->color range and adjust fuzziness to get just a hint of a selection on the highlights. Then she fills that selection with white on a separate transparent layer and blurs it slightly (like 1px). Adjust opacity to taste.

In my opinion, that only works when the image is lit in a very specific way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 03:00 PM

thanks for the reply flexmanta. Tried this technique , but i think you`re right when you`re saying that this only works when the image is lit in a specific way. Didn`t work out for me. It didn`t give any shine or glow for me. Is there another technique that would give a similar result?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 04:27 PM

Many ways to do it. A quick way is to add either a Layers or Curve adjustment layer and use the Blue Channel as your mask. You will need to add more contrast to the mask to see the effects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the tips Nicky3. I`ll try it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 07:17 AM

Skin Shine - Arms - Legs - and Face.

One of the main tricks for creating skin shine is to use the "Flow" control on your brush. Keep the flow to 1% ONLY (Opacity can be whatever you want 100% or 50% or 17% etc). If you use a higher flow rate than 1% then it will look fake. The flow control makes sure that whatever you do is limited to 1% maximum effect per stroke. Using this methodology is very subtle and the highlight is built up over a number of brush strokes.

So, you might want to work on the highlight part of an arm or leg to start with.

To do this: Make a separate transparent layer above your image using the "New Layer" icon at the bottom of the Layer Pallet. Then choose a white soft brush with opacity set to 100% and the flow set to 1%. Then stroke down the highlight area in one single continuous brushstroke action. You will barely see what you are doing because the effect is limited to 1% of what is possible. Do another full length single stroke down the whole length...then another. Pretty soon you will see your highlight developing ever so gently. Use the visibility icon on your separate layer to turn on and off the work you are doing...so you can see the subtle effect you are creating. Do more strokes in the center of the highlight and fewer at the edges to give it a more 3 dimensional look. It might take 5 or 10 strokes to build up the look.

If you dont like what you are seeing or if you want to change it, no problem...just selectively erase the white strokes on the transparent layer and start over again in the area you are working in...or... you can delete the whole layer and make a new one. Often retouchers will go through the extra trouble of creating a new transparent layer for each area of shine they are working on to keep the shines separated and totally controllable.

You can also choose layer opacity to adjust the intensity of the shine. You can also get a more subtle and more transparent looking highlight depending on skin type by first using the "Softlight Blend Mode" on the layer you are working on (upper top left of your layer pallet...it usually says "Normal" but make it Softlight instead). This "blend mode" helps the layer you are working on to blend into the layers below it in many different kind of ways...its a whole other important retouching subject by itself.

You can also use gaussian blur on the highlight layer to spread out the highlight and smooth it out some if you like. If you use the "make ready for smart filters option" in CS3 and above (under the Filters menu) then you can adjust and re-adjust the gaussian blur effect interactively without needing to erase the effect and starting all over again.

To get the most believable effects it is helpful to know where to add the highlight. Study how to shade a 2 dimensional circle to make it into a 3 dimensional sphere. It will give you the shading mentality of how to make something 2d look 3d by using shading (highlights, shadow and specularity). You can also enhance the effect through low-lighting the edges of the arm to give them some more 3 dimensional depth as well. Knowing the "Still-Life" painting skill of how to create dimensionality is a great help for the retoucher.

Sometimes believable highlights and shadow placements follow the direction of bone structures or muscle structures underneath the skin...so a bit of Grays Anatomy can also enhance a retouchers skill set. It also helps to study other pictures and to watch where the shine naturally occurs in an image... and what it looks like... so your own work will be more believable.

Cheers

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 05-20-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Patron

1.) Wet Skin (quick and easy)

2.) Comments and work flow from Amy Dresser(you can download the PSD at the bottom of the post to see the work flow she used to achieve the picture that initially came up on her site)

3.) 5 different methods to achieve the Amy Dresser look:
Amy Dresser Tutorial.pdf
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching