RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Yellow Tint in Camera RAW?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Yellow Tint in Camera RAW?

I have been using Camera RAW for about a year now and I do like the interface. I do very little to the images in the tool except getting the color balance correct using a gray card.
In my last shoot, I noticed that in Photoshop bridge, the images look fine in terms of color, but soon as I open the images in Camera Raw, there is a yellow cast to the images. No matter what I do, the colors of either the model or the background do not look right. Anyone else have seen this issue?
I have downloaded Capture One Pro Trial version but do not really like the interface of it. Also, as I mentioned, I do not do much in the RAW tool except color balance and a bit of exposure change, the rest is done in PS. So I do not want to spend $500.00 on a tool that I am not going to use 99% of its capabilities.

I have attached an example of an image in Bridge and Camera RAW. Please see the names of the file when you open them to see which is which.

Thank you all in advance
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2123_BRIDGE.jpg (48.8 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2123_CAMERA_RAW.jpg (58.9 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Patron

Re: Yellow Tint in Camera RAW?

Check to be sure you haven't gotten a colour profile mismatch or something messed up in the Camera Calibration setting in Camera Raw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Patron

Fotogen, Bridge is a browser and I do not think it was intended to have accurate color management. When you open images in Camera RAW, colors will look different depending on what you have set you color space to and what your Camera RAW defaults are set to. Camera RAW is color managed. For example if you have Camera RAW set to Prophoto color space it will look very different than the way it looked in Bridge. My best advice to you is to lay down a few eyedropper targets in Camera Raw and just check the numbers. They never lie.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:25 PM

Murray,

But I like the colors I see in Bridge. In fact, Canon's DPP has very similar color to that of the PS Bridge. I can not for the life of me get the colors in Camera RAW to look like that of Bridge. Either the skin will look bad or the background. How can this be possible? Any ideas with a bit of explaination will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 11:55 PM
Janitor

Something similar happened to me once. Try switching to a different monitor profile then back again (in the OS, not in PS or Bridge). I had a corrupted cache of the profile in PS and it had to be regenerated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Patron

Fotogen, I need to correct what I said above. In the Bridge Application Bar, there is an icon / context menu called Options for Thumbnail Quality and Preview Generation. If you set it to "Always High Quality" then Bridge will preview the images in Color Managed mode. Otherwise it will preview images using the thumbnails embedded in the image files. Those are likely to be sRGB. Chedck your settings. If you happen to be viewing in non color managed mode and you like those colors, double click to open in Camera Raw and at the bottom of the window where you see Color space, bit depth, and size, try clicking on it and changing the color space to sRGB if it is currently in another color space.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Fotogen, I need to correct what I said above. In the Bridge Application Bar, there is an icon / context menu called Options for Thumbnail Quality and Preview Generation. If you set it to "Always High Quality" then Bridge will preview the images in Color Managed mode. Otherwise it will preview images using the thumbnails embedded in the image files. Those are likely to be sRGB. Chedck your settings. If you happen to be viewing in non color managed mode and you like those colors, double click to open in Camera Raw and at the bottom of the window where you see Color space, bit depth, and size, try clicking on it and changing the color space to sRGB if it is currently in another color space.
Regards, Murray
Murray,

That might be the problem, at least I hope it is. I will check the settings tonight. I did not have this problem before so I wonder if somehow the settings changed. When I noticed this problem, I did look at the color space in Camera RAW and it said Adobe RGB 1998. My camera, 5D Mark II, is set to sRGB and I do "Custom White Balance" on the camera using a gray card, before shooting, so the images shown on the back of the camera are actually color corrected when I am viewing them. This color correction is somehow embedded in the RAW file, because the colors look great on Bridge and Camera RAW (before I had this problem).

Thanks for your help, I will keep you updated
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 PM

when using Sony a100 camera body I had the same greenish-yellow color cast, since it was cheap body, I realized it`s factory setup after testing other bodies from diferent manufacturers... everything else was proper, it wasn`t problem of color profiles but factory internal processing set up... each label has own processing and the cheaper body is the more it`s processing sucks...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching