RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

15 Minute Dodge & Burn in CS5

Old 05-17-2010, 11:21 PM

Re: 15 Minute Dodge & Burn in CS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Many of you will recognize the "Before" image attached below. It was posted by RetouchPro member Cuervo79 who graciously permitted me to repost it here. This image contains skin anomalies and very dark pores which present the retoucher with a formidable D&B challenge. In fact when I used this image in CS4 to experiment with a number of different D&B tools I spent many long hours trying to neutralize the "black holes" - until CS5 came along.
The "After" image below represents excellent results in 15 minutes of work.
First the Disclaimers:
The image is not a full retouch. There is no macro D&B / light carving. The lips have not been touched. Large shadows under the nose and along the jaw line have not been addressed. What you have is the fine detail pixel level D&B (I like to call Micro D&B) - the kind that often takes hours many hours using Curves or Soft Light layers or all the other various methods we use to do all the "hard labour" in a retouch.
The Tool & Process:- Begin by Frequency splitting the image into a low and high frequency set of layers. A radius of 10 was used for this image
- Activate the High Frequency layer (some call High Pass). For those who are not familiar with Frequency Separation, please see this thread titled High Pass Sucks at Modelmayhem http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...=439098&page=1
- Select the Spot Healing Brush from the tool bar (yes, SPOT healing)
- In the tool option bar check the Content Aware Button and UNcheck the "All Layers" button.
- Set the brush hardness to 0%
- Set the brush size to 2 or 3 pixels. Most of the work on this image was done with 2 or 3 pixel brush size.
- A tablet with pen pressure is recommended for best control and highest speed but a mouse can work.
- Begin to brush over a pore. The tool will take a little getting used to. Try to brush over a spot or line just once. A 2nd pass removes more texture and more closely approximates conventional healing.
- For skin lines, size the brush close to the width of the line and just drag it along the line's length. To wide a brush will remove too much texture. To thin a brush will dodge the center of the line leaving dark edges.
- The brush will dodge the dark spots but will also burn the white / bright spots on the skin blending in normal skin color.
- You can work as fast as your pen / mouse can move. CS5 and the tool will keep up with you - there is no latent time for the retoucher. You can cruise through the work at Warp 11 speed.
- There are a few large blemishes like the scar and a few other areas where you need to replace texture. Simple hit the L key to switch to your lasso tool, draw a loose selection around the blemish and hit the Shift+F5 keys then enter. This invokes the new Content Aware Fill. There was not a single instance where I used it on this image that didn't produce perfect results - including the white lines along the jaw bone.
Other Notes:
This image had some stray yellow patches that were driving me to distraction. I used a Hue Sat adj layer to blend the yellow in, I also added a Curve adj layer to pull the mid tone brightness up a few points. These minor adj layers can be placed at the top of the stack afterward or at the bottom beforehand.
Conclusion:
This tool can not be used for all D&B work. You will still need to use other methods for macro D&B. The method works well on some images but may not be appropriate for others. Clearly you do not have 100% control as you do with curves and masks and the process may not be acceptable for very high end jobs. However it works very well for some images and it certainly is a huge time saver. For some jobs there may be a good trade-off between control and time spent with acceptable quality. Perhaps if enough of us go after Adobe, we can convicne them to modify the tool with additional controls and turn it into a true D&B tool for CS6.
Here is the link to the psd file which is in .zip format.
If you plan to post the image anywhere, please obtain permission from its owner, RP memeber Cuervo79.
Regards, Murray
Thanks Mistermonday!

Looks great and seems to be a great way to speed up the D&B process. I have CS5 and so far so good! I like the speed bump with the 64 bit for Mac.

I can get very nice skin realistic results with the degrunge technique, using it sparingly along with D&B and healing, but I have yet to try the split frequency thing,that I hear is superior, can you please elaborate on that technique. I have tried to follow the MM recipe, but I think I might be missing a step or something! Not quite getting it!!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 10:06 AM
Patron

DCM, the recipe is all on the 1st page of the thread at MM.
You start by creating 2 copies of your BG layer. On the 1st copy of the BG you perform a Gaussian Blur, On the 2nd (top) copy, you perform one of the follow steps A or B depending on you image.

A. If you are working with an 8 Bit Image:
Image>Apply Image; For Layer select the 1st BG copy layer (which is blurred); Set the Blend Mode to Subtract, Set the Scale to 2, Set the offset to 128 Opacity = 100%; Leave Preserve Transparency and Mask boxes unchecked, Click OK. Set the Blend mode of that layer to Linear Light.

B. If you are working with a 16 bit image:
Image>Apply Image; Again chose the 1st copy of the the BG layer (which has been blurred) Set the Blend Mode to Add. Set the Scale to 2, Set the Offset to 0, and check the Invert check box. Leave Preserve Transparency and Mask Un checked. Click OK and change the blend mode of that layer to Linear Light.

To verify that you have done things correctly, Alt + Click the eye icon on the orig BG layer - and the result should look exactly the same as the when the top two layers are turned on.

Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Hi mistermonday. Thanks for sharing the knowledge. The results look great.

I tried your approach on this same image and those pores on her upper lip still represent a lot of work. Are you hitting each, one by one, with a 2-3px brush? I've been trying that, but to get your level of smoothness requires more than one pass on each, for me (because of the random nature of Content aware, some hits do relatively nothing,) so it still ends up being fairly time consuming. Are you being careful to try to center your hits on pores, or are you doing something looser, like a stippling effect?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 06:42 PM
Patron

Hi Flashtones. "Hitting it once" implies that you are stamping the brush. I actually storked my brush on the spot. If the spot is round like a pore and the pore was a little bigger than the brush, then I would swirl the brush until the whole pore was covered (Photoshop shows you a contrasting color as a viewing aid) and when it was all covered I would lift my pen. If you come across a very dark pore you may find that swirling over it twice before lifting your pen will lighten it a little more than if you brush over it once. The same is true for wrinkle lines. What I found very efficient was to cruise through the entire image with a single pass and then do a 2nd pass over the few spots I felt needed to be a bit lighter.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 08:03 PM

Thanks, Murray. I'll keep practicing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 02:17 AM

Thanks Mister Monday for your input, greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 11:56 AM

Nice technique, Murray :-)!
I'll see if I can find use to it in the future :-).

I decided to try another method for a quick removal of all the dark spots (a modified method of what Natalia showed some time ago on the Mayhem forums).
Please note that my only intend was to develop a quick way to get rid of the spots. No additional retouching was done.
The method isn't high end because of this either, but it's a cool quick trick imho :-).

The first one is a split done with the Dust & Scratches filter to create the LOW layer (Radius: 5, Threshold: 12). I then deleted everything from the split but the HIGH layer, inverted it and ran a Gaussian Blur of 0.3 on it to remove some of the artifacts.
Now I clipped a curves adj. layer to it where I set the black point to 128/128.

Second I tried a method with live preview for which I duplicated the background layer, clipped it to a Brightness/Contrast adj. layer in "Linear Light" mode with 50% fill opacity and set it to "Linear Light" w. 50% fill as well.
This layer then was inverted and an Invert adj. layer was clipped to the whole stack, as well as a curves adj. layer like the one I created before.
On the background copy layer I finally ran the Dust and Scratches filter with the settings I used before.
The advantage of this is obviously the live preview, but on the other hand the artifacts can't be removed (I tried this technique for the first time though, so maybe there is).

I uploaded some actions as well as the PSD-file for you to see :-).

Actions: http://jwpixx.kilu.de/Aktionen/Dark%20spots.atn
PSD-file: https://www.rapidshare.com/files/457...Dark_spots.psd

(Attachment #1 is my live preview method, #2 is the method with the additional Gaussian blur.)

Edit: Haha, stupid me :-)!
The live preview method I did was pure BS.
Just duplicate the background layer, set it to "Lighten" mode and run the Dust & Scratches filter on it, that's about the same thing ;-).
The first method is still valid though, as it has this neat addition of the Gaussian blur in between :-).

Edit #2: You could of course blur the whole D&S layer, but that wouldn't only blur the areas that were affected by the D&S filter, but the whole image. That's the whole point of my post ;-).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dark-spots#1.jpg (93.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Dark-spots#2.jpg (90.1 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Der_W; 04-16-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 02:49 PM

For the real low brow among us, Dust and Scratches alone isn't that bad.

I'm sure one could find perfectly fine settings in one pass but I gotta run so I'm going with what I've got.

I made one layer with a DS setting of Radius 7, Threshold 17, which I found a bit soft. Above that I made another with settings 11/27 which I found a hair too coarse still. By leaving both layers active and reducing the 11/27 layer to 75% opacity I came to this. The lips and eyelashes need to be masked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DustScratch.jpg (87.3 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Patron

Jonas & Flashtone, nice techniques also. I had recently played the inverted contrast curves which some people call lightening and darkening or "half flat / half grounded curves" as I used to know them in LAB color work. They certainly produce very quick results and depending on the image look better than any of the pure blurring techniques. These are definitely useful to have in your toolbox when a job needs something less than a high end retouch.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-29-2012, 09:34 PM

wow..i hope i can learn this better
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching