RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Before-after, results not good?

Old 05-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Re: Before-after, results not good?

Yeah, shadows and highlights are what I meant :-).
E.g. you have removed a slight shadow on the right side of her nose, so it looks a little flatter now.

I'd probably go on and paint in some shadows on the sides of her nose (like a MUA would do, take a look here: http://yourfinishingtouch.blogspot.c...-tutorial.html).
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 PM

Starting to lkook good. The body needs retouch too
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 PM

Is this any better now?
1. Matched the color of the body with the face using Curves.
2. Contoured the face more and defined the nose a bit more
3. Did more D&B on the pores of her left cheek and upper lip to match the smoothness of the other side of the face.
4. Did NOT work on hair, any good tutorials on hair retouching please?

Any opinions will be highly appreciated

http://www.pbase.com/fotogen/image/124652648/original
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 AM

It looks much better now. There is a little of light inconsistency between the face and the body. Both have the same brightness but not the same shininess. You need to D&B a bit the body because the face looks much more polished and airbrushed while the body looks more natural looking. It's hard at the first time, I also used to put lot of effort on the face and not so much on the body, but in order to achieve unity you need to pay the same attention on the body than in the face.

Regarding the hair, I'm clueless but I do lot of cloning in darken mode for the stray hairs.

Regarding the time taken by the retouch, for this particular pic, it shouldn't take more than 3 hours. That's another thing to keep in mind for further editings, but don't think too much on that, that's something that you will achieve through practice and experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "nose has no definition", meaning shadows are not well defined? Any idea as to how to fix it. Do I make the base of the nose brighter to give it more definition and have it stick out more?

Thank you in advance
I guess by "no definition" he means that it looks a bit blurred and the color/tone quite similar to the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
What do you mean by low frequency patterns on her skin? Can you please point me to where you are taking about? Also, please advise as to how I can fix it.

Thank you
Low frequency regards to the "blotchiness" or posterization of the tones. You should be careful when balancing those, otherwise, you image will look flat and glazed-like. Have you ever used the Highpass/Calculation technique? That's a good way to remove the frequencies, but use it wisely.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM

use Selective Color > absolute > REDS > slide magenta to the left to take out the overall redness.
select her chest - Selective Colors > absolute > YELLOWS > cyan +13, yellow -13, blacks -17
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 11:39 PM

2¢: "Mathmatically" the photograph is sound. Artistically, the crop is uninteresting and doesn't direct your eye to alleviate the problem, and the model's pose looks uncomfortable. When you first view the image, it's difficult to tell what you're looking at. It only takes .02seconds to figure it out, but at first it's akward, and that feeling stays. I also agree with the lack of shadow definition between neck/jawline in the photograph.

I liked your first retouched image from a retouching standpoint, very much. A nice natural look, leaving in some skin marks and hair, etc. Talented retouch, the original image is at fault in my opinion.

Thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRyan View Post
2¢: "Mathmatically" the photograph is sound. Artistically, the crop is uninteresting and doesn't direct your eye to alleviate the problem, and the model's pose looks uncomfortable. When you first view the image, it's difficult to tell what you're looking at. It only takes .02seconds to figure it out, but at first it's akward, and that feeling stays. I also agree with the lack of shadow definition between neck/jawline in the photograph.

I liked your first retouched image from a retouching standpoint, very much. A nice natural look, leaving in some skin marks and hair, etc. Talented retouch, the original image is at fault in my opinion.

Thanks for posting!
Thank you for your point of view. when you say "your first retouched image", do you mean this image that I have included the link in this thread?

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2010, 12:14 AM

Yes, I was referring to the retouch you linked to when you first posted this thread.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching