RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dodge and Burn Basics?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:42 PM

Dodge and Burn Basics?

Hey guys,

I have been learning a lot from you guys and thought you could help me with a problem I'm still having. I have watched a few of the Retouch Pro live shows and read a lot about dodge and burning, but I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing when I use those tools. I usually dodge over the highlights with the brush set to mids and around 3-5% and the same with the burn tool on the shadows. But I'm not sure if that is right or what the final achievement is suppose to be. Any help would be great and I'm sorry if it's a dumb question with an obvious answer. Just thought you guys would be able to help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 AM

Re: Dodge and Burn Basics?

Depending on the size of your brush you can, sculpt ( add depth ), add highlights, change contrasts on a pore/pixel level to "smooth" skin.

You need to know what end result you want though.

Check Niennas tutorials ...
http://nienna1990.deviantart.com/glo...view=full&st=0
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2010, 05:16 AM

Before I start with "what is the goal" I just want to mention there are many ways to do dodge and burn, via the tools and a 50% gray layer, curves layers, solid color layers. The best one is the one you find you can control the best.
Now what is the goal... check this thread out and look at the before and after http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...-burn-cs5.html although its not made with D&B it is a good example as to what you can do with dodge and burn.
Also I divide it in two scales:
The detail scale like the example in the thread I'm linking.
The general scale where you sculpt the face (lighten patchy shadows, darken highlights).
I also recommend you use "visualization" layers (you use a combination of a desaturation layer and a curves layer to increase the contrast on the skin) these layers help you see what needs to be adjusted, just be careful not to "over do" the contrast or you'll end up nullifying the texture and it'll look like blur...

When it comes to retouching it all trickles down to the retoucher's vision and the client's direction.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbosch View Post
Hey guys,

I usually dodge over the highlights with the brush set to mids and around 3-5% and the same with the burn tool on the shadows. But I'm not sure if that is right or what the final achievement is suppose to be.
you need to burn the highlights and and dodge the shadows - opposite of what you said above. This is for pore-level D&B, not sculpting necessarily.
hope that helps.

--shift studio
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbosch View Post
....read a lot about dodge and burning, but I'm still not quite sure what I'm doing when I use those tools. I usually dodge over the highlights with the brush set to mids and around 3-5% and the same with the burn tool on the shadows. But I'm not sure if that is right or what the final achievement is suppose to be...
Hey Jason-

I completely agree with Cuervo-79...actually everyone I agree with.

Regardless here is my two cents, I don't like the burn and dodge tools. They tend to warp the colors even when used on luminosity.
As far as what the final achievement is- It's whatever you want it to be. Usually you can do anything from contouring the skin to accentuating the mood of the image. Do you have a screen shot? That would help.

You can also remove blotchy skin and acne (scars) too. Play with your brush's flow and opacity on a blank layer so you can understand how the pressure works, it helps with having a delicate hand (I like to build it up slowly, so I keep flow and opacity very low) and see whats more comfortable for you to work with. Below I attached what a 50% gray layer for sculpting and removing imperfections looks like. Essentially you can do the same thing with curves, except you paint in white on your masks to expose the color/weighted move of the curve.

Have fun with it and play around. You can create different effects and whatnot. Hope this helps and all is well!

Amanda Lauren
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SoftLight-Sculpt.jpg (53.9 KB, 63 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2010, 02:13 PM

Regardless of your objective, I think it helps to understand what the tools and blend modes do.

The Dodge tool is used to lighten areas in an image.

The burn tool is used to darken areas in an image.

When you set the mode to shadows, you are going to affect only the pixels that are darker than 50% gray. When you set the mode to highlights, you will affect only the pixels that are lighter than 50% gray. When you set the mode to midtones, you will affect the pixels closest to 50% gray. leaving the pixels closest to white, and black untouched.

To understand how this will affect your image, you should experiment with each method to see what the result will be. I recommend that you always dodge and burn on a new layer. This way, if you don't like the result, you can simply discard the layer, and your original image is still untouched.

Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching