Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Confused please help:)

Old 06-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Re: Confused please help:)

Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
When you're being hired by a client its not a matter of one's patience or desire but what the client limits you to, sometimes time or budget constraints will hinder on how you approach a retouch, the final uses will also change the way you retouch, if its for just one scale let's say a billboard you don't have to retouch as much as you would a magazine cover.

Regarding the clone tool as the "way of the high end retoucher" is not really what I opine. Just because a professional likes to use one tool instead of the other doesn't mean that its better. The key here is what YOU like better, in the case of your example Mr Tarantino likes to use the clone tool. That doesn't mean the healing tool is bad.

I totally, absolutely agree.

As long as you get to the desired/requested results, it doesn't matter which or how many tools you use independently of what Guru-X or Guru-Y uses... What makes their work so special are their talent, dedication and years of practice not the specific Tools they use!

That said, not that it matters much (I am no Guru) but I feel much more comfortable with the Heal Brush first set to 'Replace' then to 'Normal' ... but, again, it's only a matter o personal preference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 01:45 PM

I don't think the healing brush is 'bad', and I use it all the time; it is a quick and efficient tool. Plus I can't bill people 15 hours of retouching for a single image at this point in my career.

But it is undeniable that the healing brush is not as seamless as using some other techniques. The healing brush does not create perfect matches is transplanting texture and creates a slight softness around the brush strokes. When analyzing an image with a solar curve, these textural mismatches are as bright as day. I've been using Photoshop for 11 years and consider myself quite advanced with the program. Up until I watched Tarantino work, I would have thought using the old school clone tool to retouch was ridiculous. But he turned my thoughts about the tool on their head.

And again. I understand the normal way of retouching skin is to use the spot healing brush and healing brush to clean the skin up, even out tones with dodging and burning on a soft light layer, blurring the skin with some type of blur filter and reintroducing texture back to the skin.

But I've seen the light. Time permitting, there is a better way to retouch skin that doesn't require using blur filters and creates amazing results. I guarantee clean beauty ad shots in magazines, where you can see every one of the models pores does not use the healing brush very much and definitely does not blur the skin to smooth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 02:53 PM

Personally I think using the a solar curve to "check on your work" is overkill (not to mention that at first your eyes scream stop), reality is that your client will rarely care if you did your job "correctly" by checking it with a solar curve. I say that its good to know all the ins and outs of different techniques so you know what to use. I haven't been up to date on the latest advertisements, but last I knew there are still major brands using blur and not keeping the skin realistic. As I said even if "you've seen the light" your client is the one who will decide if its OK to go the route with just D&B or go use different techniques that blur the skin.
I would recommend that you also research on frequency separation, from what I have seen is the "next best thing" since D&B quite a read...

Also this "normal way of retouch" doesn't exist, if you find that the clone tool is all you need, go ahead and use only that. The thing is when someone is "lost" its better to give a broader opinion in order to give someone various options and make the decision for themselves. "Absolute answers" aren't always the correct ones.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM

Thanks for the link!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching