RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching Vehicles w/ Lights?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Retouching Vehicles w/ Lights?

I've gained an interest lately in photographing cars, so, the other day I pulled over the town police, and they were nice enough to bring their police version of their Dodge Charger for me to photograph.

It was a bit of a grey/dull evening, and I took this photograph with the overhead lights on; but it didn't stand out like I was hoping it would (it wasn't quite dark enough).

At any rate, I wanted the car to look a little meaner, and little more omnious than it did, so I retouched the photo a little and did a little bit of cleaning.

Does anyone have any advice on retouching vehicles, particularly those with things you'd like to enhance, like siren lights?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car_Before.jpg (76.1 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg Car_After.jpg (85.0 KB, 123 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2010, 12:35 PM

Re: Retouching Vehicles w/ Lights?

the lights look good, but the "after" shot has no detail in the grill...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 10:31 AM

very cool pic i like to see vehicles up here i do kinda think the glow coming off the lights is a little too big. With the glow as well takes some of the details from the lights. I definately like the look your going for. I would probably use the lasso tool and cut out the inside of the lights and make a new layer of it and use "multiply" so it keeps the light details and enriches the color. I would probably also make a copy of the lights and use transform vertical and use that for the reflection all the way to the top of the windshield. Change the opacity and use soft edge brush to blend the edges and windshield line. Also keep the glow but just make it a little bit smaller just for realism.

For the bumper and grill take the original image and copy that whole front piece on a seperate layer and make it "multiply" it will darken the bumper and make the pixels go away while still keeping the details of the grill and other details. Use a soft edge brush to blend it in.

very cool pic i cant wait to see your final result for it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll be giving this photo another run over soon and see what I can come up with to improve the results.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Patron

Maybe some initial selective sharpening (car and water) and a screen layer just for the grill would help

(click thumb, then give it a couple seconds for the Gif to change)
Attached Images
File Type: gif Before_After.gif (199.9 KB, 54 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 AM

Apply the lights and colors on separate layers and experiment with various blending modes and levels of opacity to get the effect that you're after. If you darken the BG, the lights stand out even more. The sparkles were added with brushes downloaded from Deviantart.com.

Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RooB.jpg (97.6 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 09:25 AM

did a quick idea of what i was explaining in the earlier post. I love doing car retouches feel free to PM me anytime. Hope this was some help to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pc2.jpg (89.2 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 12:25 PM

That looks great, Bigdawgs, I'll be posting my redo soon; hopefully, it'll look as good!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 03:08 PM

Okay!

So, I re-did the car a little, taking into consideration the critique of the original.

I toned down the shadowing on the grill and the glow of the lights, and added more reflection to the roof for the lights.

I also included a 2nd picture I did, though, I messed up a little with the blur on the rear of the car, and couldn't backtrack easily to fix it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Car_After2.jpg (77.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Car_After3.jpg (76.0 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2010, 07:52 AM

first one came out a little pixelated try the free plugin "denoise 4" works wonders on some pics. You might have to use smudge as well for the pixels on the bumper. Other than that maybe darken the photo just a little.

The second one i see what your saying about the blur. But i definately like the action shot of that. Maybe just tweak it a little bit and i think you'll have that one pretty good. Theres a little ghosting around the back edges of the car. Under the front wheels kinda looks like you can see through the tires.

Try to save your .psd file as you go and dont merge the layers until you feel its complete as it will make it a bit easier to go back and tweak things. Your doing really good tho. These are really cool shots i definately hope to see more of them. Keep up the good work
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching