RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

getting horrid lines with graduation tool

Old 05-25-2010, 06:56 AM

getting horrid lines with graduation tool

Hi there,

i use the graduation tool to make more dramatic sky effects by darkening the top of the skyline and lightening the bottom. The trouble is when i use the graduation tool it is not giving me totally smooth graduations. When I add a softlight or overlay on top of these graduated curve layers to create contrast there are horrible lines visible from where the graduation tool has not graduated smoothly enough. Is there some box that I need to click on in order to get smoother results and what does dither mean?

if any one can offer me advice on how to get smother transitions I would be most grateful. I have about 20 external architecture images to get out and I need to solve this problem asap.

many thanks

Norris
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 07:50 AM

Re: getting horrid lines with graduation tool

you should try to put in noise, in most cases 0,5 is enough good luck.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 12:41 PM

Are you sure it's not from your monitor? Are you in 16 bit mode instead of 8 bit mode? Are you starting with a high quality image file? Could be many things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 06:36 PM

I like ruud92's idea (it works in the print world). And can also be applied via a graduated mask to focus the blending effect in the troubled areas only and taper off in the solid blocked color areas. Try playing around with monochromatic on or off and with both gaussian and uniform settings to see which is less obvious for the smoother blend.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-25-2010, 08:30 PM

Depends on how much banding you're seeing, since it will allways show to one degree or another.

I only see this very noticeably when working with 8bit images from the start, you can do the noise route wich also works but before you do that try to work in 16bit first then later when you're going to export you go to 8bit that's how I did this one and you don't see any banding at first..http://www.flickr.com/photos/22489978@N04/3128551998/
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 06:21 AM

thankyou all for your replies. Thankyou especially Ruud, I tried adding noise to the masks and it did work to some degree but unfortunately not quite as much as I need for these images. I am unable to process in 8 16 bit as the images are often 4-6 file stitches making them fairly massive files.

Norris
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2010, 08:16 AM

You can also try setting the gradient tool's opacity to 40% and "build" your vignette using several lighter gradients in slightly different angles. One over the other. The gradient tool should be set to foreground to transparent.

Once you're done, create another layer, fill it with white and set it to multiply. Then add noise to the appropriate channels. (i.e. Blue to Cyan gradient, noise in C, M only.) Layer mask out unwanted noise.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris View Post
thankyou all for your replies. Thankyou especially Ruud, I tried adding noise to the masks and it did work to some degree but unfortunately not quite as much as I need for these images. I am unable to process in 8 16 bit as the images are often 4-6 file stitches making them fairly massive files.

Norris
no problem though i forgot to say it also has to be monochromatic and uniform (which is set standard in my photoshop, thats why i forgot it to mention!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2010, 11:04 AM

hi,
i am big novice, and don't know for sure yours the same problem i had, but i had a similar issue when new to PS,... a lot of banding when i used the gradiant tool using the gray gradiant... and the issue in my case was the gradiant itself.. the way it was set up it had bands.. the name was gray strips... smiling...

what i did was to create new gradiant using the gradiant editor.... ensuring i had no bands..
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 01:36 PM

Note that while banding can be in the file, it can also be the result of the display system, making pin-pointing the banding difficult. For those calibrating and profiling their LCD displays (I’d hope most if not all), the farther you calibrate past the native behavior with a panel that only supports 8-bits per color (anything but higher end units like Eizo, NEC etc), banding can result. Obviously adding noise isn’t going to help here because the banding is in the preview, not necessarily in the document (or it can be a bit of both).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching