RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What to do with these hands?

Old 06-09-2010, 08:59 AM

What to do with these hands?

Hi,

I'm working on an image from a shoot I did this past Sunday and I didn't realize the hands until I got home and started to preview the images. I'm part way through the retouch, I've probably spent about 2 hrs total so far and I've probably got at least that much more time to go before I'm done. I'm stuck right now on evening out skin tone across the bridge of the nose and the forehead but; the more I look the image, the more these hands keep grabbing my attention. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do what the hands? (The cracks on the inside of the hands is what I'm talking about. )

Thanks in advance.

The direct link to files are larger and probably have more detail than the attachments.

http://www.thepaperfile.com/webstage...2164before.jpg
http://www.thepaperfile.com/webstage.../2164after.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (99.8 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg after.jpg (96.3 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by PhiladelphiaPro; 06-09-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Re: What to do with these hands?

Some Surface Blur, resharpening, Vibrance and Contrast adjustments seem to do a fair job.

Juergen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hand-1.jpg (194.5 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM

It doesn't matter what you do with the hand- inside of hand is a big NO NO in beauty.

You need to take it out. Do you have one where the model is in a similar pose without the hand? Copy/paste/mask done

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 01:59 PM

i duplicated the image used patch tool and heal brush. Then used selection tool and cut the hand out and made a new layer of it. Then added a gaussian blur and added a tiny bit of noise then took the opacity down. Was about 5-10 minutes worth but with more time im sure way better results could come.

Nice to see others from PA on here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg afterhand.jpg (98.3 KB, 81 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 02:43 PM

I would like to take the hand out but I can't. Once the MUA looked at the images she fell in love with this one and I couldn't change her mind on the image plus; she's the client so, this is it.

Bigdawgz did a good job I might have to duplicate what you've done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiladelphiaPro View Post
I would like to take the hand out but I can't. Once the MUA looked at the images she fell in love with this one and I couldn't change her mind on the image plus; she's the client so, this is it.

Bigdawgz did a good job I might have to duplicate what you've done.
Don't change the image, change the hand

This image http://www.nataliataffarel.com/Sugar.html was going to be left out because of the hair over the neck and the green glare. No need, just take them out
x

Last edited by Godmother; 06-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Patron

The open hand really wrecks this image. If you insist on retouching the hand you should at least not blur it. You should consider healing over the large number of very fine lines that go in random directions and don't follow any flow. This can be done on a split frequency layer set (on the HF layer). The remaining major lines can be dodged and burned (2-4 pixel brush) to attenuate the major lines but not remove them. You are probably looking at about 2 hours of work to do a proper retouch on that hand.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM

maybe try adding lots of long blond hair to cover the hand
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 06:14 AM

I think hands are very expressive and the client likes the pics which s the most important thing.
I would remove the small spots on the open hand and reduce the shine a little and maybe take out the very finest lines but otherwise leave them alone as the client is the person who chooses and that is what they have chosen.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 06:55 AM

i agree with alot of comments made here. Most of the time you try to avoid inside of the hands shots. But i also know as a artist and retoucher that its about what the client wants because of the money. The client often does not see things the retoucher does. There have been many times I as the artist was not satisfied and wanted to do more on an image but the client thought the picture was perfect. I think the client sometimes views it differently. Some also assume retouching is easy as well which we all know is not true. But the one paying money for it is the one that ultimately has to be happy. I do agree with mistermonday as well probably a good 2 hours worth to make it perfect. With being a high rez pic your definately going to want to bring the detail back in the wrinkles a bit to match the rest of the picture. Also match the shine on the hand with the face as well so it looks like the same light source is hitting that as well. Very awesome to see everyones input on this. That way PhiladelphiaPro can take into consideration everyones views and choose his path to correct this and make his client happy.

Also ty much PhiladelphiaPro for the comment. I hope i could help in some way. Wanted you to see its possible to fix it and not impossible.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching