RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Photoshop and Default DPI Settings

Old 06-09-2010, 09:35 PM

Photoshop and Default DPI Settings

I recently had an assignment for a well known MMA magazine; I covered UFC 114 and all of the pre and post fight events.

I post processed all the NEF files (at 300 DPI) throught ACR and Photoshop. When cropping, I used the crop tool set to 2in x 3in (or reversed) without a DPI setting to maintain the D3s native aspect FX ratio.

Much to my surprise, after several hundred photos , and a painfully slow upload, that my files were all of varying DPI. For exampe, one photo is sized 2640 x 3960 and 1320 DPI on the horizontal and vertical axis. The rest follow the same pattern of varying DPI settings based on file size. The editor says they are unprintable at this DPI.

After reviewing my previous non-printed work, all of my photos have unique DPI settings based on file size.

So I'm left wondering how this happened, how Photoshop transformed my 300 DPI NEF files to a 1xxx DPI JPEGs. While I can change the DPI from the "Image Size" drop-down, I would like to set PS to default to 300 and not change unless I make the change.

Is there a DPI default, or something I can set to always remain at 300 DPI?

And just as important, how can I change what I have already done quickly (via batch)?

From a nieve photographer, how would a 1000 DPI throw off an art director? Why could they not be used as-is? I mean the data is there, it's not a low-res image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Patron

Re: Photoshop and Default DPI Settings

Ultravista, If you use the Crop Tool in PS and only specify the dimensions and do not specify the resolution in dpi, AND if the new crop size will be less than the current image size (as shown in Image>Size), then Photoshop will not throw away any pixels - it will just lower the dimensions and increase the resolution. In other words it will act the same way as if you used the Image>Size command with the "Resample Image" box UNchecked.
Every crop you make manually (by dragging the tool across the image to select the area you want to keep) will be a different size and consequently your resulting image will have a different and unique dpi value.
Some print houses / operations are set up to accept images of fixed size and resolution and they do not want to, or can not, do any editing to resize them.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 AM

Thank you Murray. Is there any way to force the PS crop tool to an aspect ratio but not size in inches / cm? I prefer the crop tool vs. marqueue crop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Patron

If you image is current set to the desired resolution, then you can just input that resolution into the Crop Tool Res box and you do not need to specify image dimensions, just drag the tool across the part of the image you wish to keep. If you need to crop to a fixed size and the new size is less than the current size, you will need to enter the resolution value. The only exception is upsizing where PS will need to manufacture more pixels.
You can do Inage>Size and change the resolution after cropping but it would be a lot faster to just enter the resolution value into the Crop Tool option box at the same time as you enter the Width and Height.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 AM

Murray, I must be stuck somewhere.

I want to maintain the 300 DPI resolution, as caried over from Adobe Camera Raw. And when cropping, I must keep the same aspect ration, either 2:3 or 3:2. Using the crop tool in PS CS4 / CS5, you must specify the width and height in inches or cm.

By defining the inches and not DPI, the document size (as reported in PS) is changed to 2in x 3in while the DPI grows based on actual pixel dimensions.

It apears that you canot specify an aspect ratio via the crop tool without defining it in inches or cm. You can do it with the marquee tool but the marquee tool sucks for cropping. You can however crop in ACR with the crop tool by merely specifying the aspect ratio (not in inches or cm).

So I'm left wondering what I can do to crop in PS while maintaining aspect ratio and defined DPI.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Make sure Resample Image check box is OFF. Then the DPI is maintained, you don’t add or subtract any pixels and you simply need to enter an aspect ratio you desire. FWIW, you should be able to do this in ACR.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM

The resample image was never checked. How can I specify an aspect ratio, not in inches or cm, with the PS crop tool? I must be missing something!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
The resample image was never checked. How can I specify an aspect ratio, not in inches or cm, with the PS crop tool? I must be missing something!
2 inches by 3 inches is a 2x3 ratio. What “size” at 300 dpi do you want (how many pixels long and short axis?

You can also set Ratio using the Rectangle Marquee tool and then use the Crop command.

Digital images have no “size” until you output them. They have a size in how much space they take up on a disk. 2x3@1000ppi is the same as 4x6@500ppi. Or to put it another way 20000x3000 pixels output to 2x3 inch at 1000 ppi. Work with pixels, that’s what make up the document. The DPI only tells Photoshop how many to divide up into (in this case) an inch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 10:10 AM
Patron

It is not clear to me if you are trying to crop to a fixed size (like 2x3 inches) or you are trying to crop to the same proportions / aspect ratio of the orig photo. I do both so I understand the issues. If you are trying to crop an image to visually improve it and maintain the same aspect ratio, then using the crop tool enter dimensions which are smaller than the current dimensions - for example 2" x 3" and leave the Resolution box empty. The aspect ratio will be constrained to 2 x 3 and all of the pixels you selected will be there and yes the resolution will be higher. This means you will need to eventually do Image>Image Size to change the resolution and size to your final output with or without resampling. However you will have the same issue if you use the Marquee method. There you have constrained proportions and your orig resolution as well but the physical dimensions after Image>Crop will be unique for each image and you still need to do Image>Image Size to finalize it.
It would have been nice if Adobe had added a couple of extra options in the Crop Tool.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
... enter an aspect ratio you desire. FWIW, you should be able to do this in ACR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
... How can I specify an aspect ratio, not in inches or cm, with the PS crop tool? I must be missing something!
I'm so glad that I read this thread because I learned to access the aspect ratio options for the crop tool in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw). I had not known they were there, and even had trouble getting the drop-down list to show when I clicked on the crop tool, but now I know how. Thanks, all !
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching