RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

RAW Tutorials

Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 AM

RAW Tutorials

Hey all,

So after having read a lot of threads discussing improper RAW conversions and the like, I have begun to suspect that my RAW skills, while previously thought to be pretty good, may actually be lacking.

So, does anyone know any good resources for learning more about proper and efficient use of RAW and RAW conversions? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Patron

Re: RAW Tutorials

There is a very good book called Real World Camera RAW for CS3 by Fraser & Schewe. I believe it has been update at least for CS4 and there may be a CS5 version in the works. If you visit a book seller like Amazon or Chapters and just input Camera RAW you will likely get a lot of hits.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM

I think Real World Camera Raw is a good Book ...the only Writer who took a kritical view is imho Dan Margulis in Prof. Photoshop...Its only a Chapter ( 16) but ists very woth to Know.

and a good recoure is also:
http://www.rags-int-inc.com/
in the technology section you find a lot useful Information...and a very good calibration script much better as the one from Tom Fors much faster and a lot more Optiptions

lg.
Gene
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 AM

jam, in addition to Murray's great recommendation, you can look at some basic but thorough videos from Adobe such as these from Julianne Kost. She has a couple on raw workflow plus other subjects as well - I noticed that you had posted questions about tutorials in other subjects in other threads. She demonstrates the newest Camera Raw features in the CS5 video but also shows ACR workflow in episode 8 and probably some others.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2010, 10:32 AM

The first of the samples (down, left of the page) is a 33 minutes of raw conversion.

Maybe you'll find it useful?

http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...utorials-dvd-2

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Murray- that book looks great! I'll have to check it out.

Gene and CJ- checking those out now!

Godmother- Your video, in fact, was precisely what made me realize I am not using ACR to its fullest. Thanks for the great sample!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2010, 02:55 AM

Godmother.. one of the things that sticks out to me whenever I watch your videos, is not so much the dodge and burn or compositing or anything like that, which you are very good at, but the color corrections you recognize, and the corrections you implement to fix them!

Are there any books or tutorials, or DVD's that you can recommend that focus on color and the fixes you need to make using RAW or photoshop? It seems that a lot of tutorials do not focus too long on the recognition of irregularities in the skin, and how you should properly go about fixing them!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
The first of the samples (down, left of the page) is a 33 minutes of raw conversion.

Maybe you'll find it useful?

http://www.digitalphotoshopretouchin...utorials-dvd-2

x
I saw this a few days ago and found it very useful! Thank you Godmother :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_spark View Post
I think Real World Camera Raw is a good Book ...the only Writer who took a kritical view is imho Dan Margulis in Prof.
Because IMHO, Dan hasn’t a clue about raw processing. He advises, poorly, that users zero out all the controls in ACR and “fix” the resulting mess in Photoshop. If all you know is a hammer...

The Fraser/Schewe book is quite good, Jeff is a talented photographer in training (not a prepress expert), and Bruce was as good as it got in terms of deciphering technical issues to the masses. There is also a series of very good video’s on Lightroom and ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) on Luminous Landscape with Jeff Schewe* if you prefer to get training by watching versus reading. Personally I think you’ll skip a lot of the techno stuff and get on with how to move the various sliders to produce a color and tone appearance you desire but depending on what you want, video and or book, you can’t go wrong. Julieann’s tutorials are also very good (and free).

*http://www.luminous-landscape.com/videos/CR_1.shtml

You really do want to hone your raw processing skills as this is the way to render images for Photoshop work. You’ll end up with better data, better image appearance faster, spend less time pushing pixels in Photoshop. Raw processing (rendering) is pixel creation in a way (raw data is essentially Grayscale data). Its totally non destructive, its very fast and effective. Make great pixels from the get-go, don’t fix poorly rendered pixels. Remember: GIGO:GARBAGE IN GARBAGE OUT.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching