RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How does she do this?

Old 06-16-2010, 10:14 AM

How does she do this?

I'm in awe of this photographer... www.skyejohansen.com Her pictures are stunning and her editing is beautiful. Anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve this look? I'm a children's photographer and would love to learn some of her tricks! I need a little help in photoshop!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2010, 03:00 PM

Re: How does she do this?

Welcome to retouch pro...

Firstly take into account that you have to start with good photographs, then you add retouch, if your photos aren't looking similar (don't take into account the colors), no ammount of photoshop will make them the same. Photoshop is better for polishing a good photograph, this means that lighting and other details have to be done in camera first.

Most of the tint that isn't monochromatic can be done with a curves adjustment layer, play with the individual channels in curves as well as the black point.
The monochromatic ones that are mostly sepia look like not only are they monochromatic but she later adds color to the subject manually, this could be done with a combination of channel mixer set to monochrome to get the black and white conversion as you like, and later add color via a multiple masked color balance layers.

It also looks like she retouches the skin, but I'm not sure if its more because she burns (lightens) the skin allot, or she actually blurs the skin...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2010, 03:05 PM

Looks like cross processing to me
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2010, 03:32 PM

sure, but the question is how to do it in photoshop.... Doubtfull the photographer actually shoots film and then cross process it later, not that its not done but pretty doubtfull you would do it now for that kind of work....
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2010, 04:02 PM

Take a browse through this site and the free actions that may give you some ideas

coffeshop actions

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah.rogers07 View Post
I'm in awe of this photographer... www.skyejohansen.com Her pictures are stunning and her editing is beautiful. Anyone have any ideas on how I can achieve this look? I'm a children's photographer and would love to learn some of her tricks! I need a little help in photoshop!
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

As Cuervo79 said, "you have to start with good photographs."

I always look at the catch-lights to get a clue as to what kind and how many lights were used... then at the shadows to see how the lights/reflectors were placed and at what angles...

Keep in mind that you are seeing only the cream of the crop of maybe 100 to 300 shots digita...l and after they have been cropped and composed..

As far as her photography,... she pretty well lays out what is needed in her pricing and details page (besides a good imagination and lots of skill and patience)

It seems to me that with a good studio setup there should be minimal post to do
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching