RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 06-26-2010, 02:17 AM
kkamin kkamin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 98
What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

That's it.
Reply With Quote top
  #2  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkamin View Post
That's it.
"Plain Vanilla" it's just an expression that means "default"
Tiff file it's the format.

Default settings when saving tiff

x
Reply With Quote top
  #3  
Old 06-26-2010, 03:22 PM
Isedo Isedo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 185
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Nice to know!
Reply With Quote top
  #4  
Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM
andrewrodney's Avatar
andrewrodney andrewrodney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 1,090
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

TIFF is owned by Adobe but it is an open format, meaning anyone who wishes to read or write it can without a fee. Adobe has updated the TIFF format over the years, adding new capabilities. You can save a TIFF with Layers, or apply compression like ZIP. So what is defined as “plain Vanilla” is up to interpretation. Its possible that you could send a ZIPped TIFF with layers to someone and their RIP or software would choke on it. That usually implies that software product needs to be updated as again, other than a cost for engineering new functionality in a product, its easily doable.

I don’t know what a “default” TIFF setting is. Windows or Mac? RGBRGB or RRGGBB? The settings, at least in Photoshop should be sticky (last configured). Bottom line is, any modern, well supported software product really should be able to open whatever kind of TIFF you throw at it. And, expect for Duotone support, there is nothing PDS provides that a TIFF doesn’t, so I generally recommend one save as TIFF than PSD, the later is proprietary and far, far fewer applications can handle that format (they do have to pay a fee to Adobe for PSD support).
Reply With Quote top
  #5  
Old 06-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
TIFF is owned by Adobe but it is an open format, meaning anyone who wishes to read or write it can without a fee. Adobe has updated the TIFF format over the years, adding new capabilities. You can save a TIFF with Layers, or apply compression like ZIP. So what is defined as “plain Vanilla” is up to interpretation. Its possible that you could send a ZIPped TIFF with layers to someone and their RIP or software would choke on it. That usually implies that software product needs to be updated as again, other than a cost for engineering new functionality in a product, its easily doable.

I don’t know what a “default” TIFF setting is. Windows or Mac? RGBRGB or RRGGBB? The settings, at least in Photoshop should be sticky (last configured). Bottom line is, any modern, well supported software product really should be able to open whatever kind of TIFF you throw at it. And, expect for Duotone support, there is nothing PDS provides that a TIFF doesn’t, so I generally recommend one save as TIFF than PSD, the later is proprietary and far, far fewer applications can handle that format (they do have to pay a fee to Adobe for PSD support).
You do realize you're not helpful at all right? lol
Reply With Quote top
  #6  
Old 06-27-2010, 03:00 PM
andrewrodney's Avatar
andrewrodney andrewrodney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 1,090
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
You do realize you're not helpful at all right? lol
No, although you may not find it useful. The facts of the format are the facts. There is no such thing as a “plain vanilla” TIFF.

There are definitions for a baseline TIFF. Again, there are zero reasons why any modern TIFF reader has to be restricted to baseline TIFFs if that is the OP’s issue.

Last edited by andrewrodney; 06-27-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Reply With Quote top
  #7  
Old 06-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Godmother's Avatar
Godmother Godmother is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 814
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewrodney View Post
No, although you may not find it useful. The facts of the format are the facts. There is no such thing as a “plain vanilla” TIFF.
Context is the key. I'm guessing she asked the client what file they wanted and they yold her "Plain Vanilla tiff"
If a client of mine said that I would probably think: No layers, RGB or sRGB, No compression tiff - But I'd still confirm my assumptions with the client.

I was just guessing the context and (again guessing) the OP didn't know what "plain Vanilla" meant

That's all
Reply With Quote top
  #8  
Old 06-27-2010, 04:03 PM
andrewrodney's Avatar
andrewrodney andrewrodney is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Santa Fe
Posts: 1,090
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Context is the key. I'm guessing she asked the client what file they wanted and they yold her "Plain Vanilla tiff"
Maybe. Seems like a good time to educate the client or ensure that one doesn’t send something unexpected. There is no such thing as a plane vanilla TIFF so if this is a client, best to be sure exactly what they want and provide it. There’s little reason to be making up terms that confuse and don’t exist anyway.

As the Chinese proverb says: The first step towards genius is calling things by their proper name.
Reply With Quote top
  #9  
Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
mistermonday's Avatar
mistermonday mistermonday is offline
Moderator
Patron
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,028
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

Kevin,it appears that you posted the exact same question on another forum here:
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/b...tiff-file.html
Looks like there were as many different answers as there were respondents.
There is no such thing as a Plain Vanilla TIFF. The file format has a specification and it has a number of user selectable options (like compressed and non compressed, Byte order - PC or MAC bit, Pixel Order, etc. None of those output options are Vanilla vs Complex or Vanilla vs Enhanced, or Vanilla vs Custom. They are all just options. The file format does not know if the data came from a RAW converter or from another source. It does not care if the data is 8 bit or 16 bit. Ten people will give you ten different definitions of a "Plain Vanilla" TIFF.
Kevin, it looks like you have a nice Photography business going (nice gallery). So you should probably be knowledgable about TIFF files - but you do not need to be a rocket scientist. Try saving a file as a TIFF and review the options from the dialog box. Typically you need to choose whether you want the file compressed or not, whether you want to preserve the color profile, Layers, and Alpha Channels, and if the file destination is a Mac or PC. Pixel order is usually a don't care. Any S/W that can read a TIFF will be able to open the file with whatever options you select. So your customer should tell you what basic options they would like or can handle. If they do not have a color managed computer, you may need to make the color space / profile decision for them.
If you would like to learn more of the technical details you can start at the link below or one of a zillion internet sites by Googling TIFF File Format.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
  #10  
Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 AM
garibaldi's Avatar
garibaldi garibaldi is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 363
Re: What is a 'plain vanilla .TIFF' file?

I dont know what versions of photoshop you are all on, but in cs5 when I go to save as in my drop down there is the regular options like jpg, psd, tiff , etc, and then there is also an option for one called plain vanilla, as well as mint chip. then under the compression option there is LZW, ZIP, and Sprinkles
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unable to save file as jpeg? Totally baffled Carol Heath Photoshop Help 11 01-28-2017 01:29 PM
Batch Automation. Multiple files from same PSD. Keith Trigwell Input/Output/Workflow 7 09-30-2010 01:33 PM
file browser memphishooter Photoshop Help 2 02-01-2010 10:27 PM
Impressionist plugin: Troubleshooting Cheryl H Photo-Art Resources 34 06-15-2009 11:13 PM
Reconstituting an emailed EPS file ktg222 Input/Output/Workflow 13 02-29-2008 06:30 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved