RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

few before and afters for your approval

Old 06-29-2010, 11:46 PM
Patron

Re: few before and afters for your approval

fstr21, I can offer you a critique of the 1st image. I have only partially marked up a copy - enough I hope to convey a couple of thoughts.
At a high level I would say you need to pay much more attention to detail - fine detail. A good retouch is all about fine detail.
You have left little black specs on the lip and cheek, a stain on the BG, tons of small skin imperfections, blown-out little white spots, those two dark horizontal lines beneath her left eye, and other anomalies which are not defining characteristics of the model. Skin needs to be close to perfect - and I don't mean removing everything, but catching all the small details. Some artifacts need to go but other areas need to be dodged / burned to even out the to even out the tones.
On the hair, you need to clean up a lot of fly-away hair (not all of it) but particularly the out-of-place distracting ones. Other stray hairs on the head should be cloned over so that they follow the direction of the main body of hair.
The eyelashes need some work to fill in the gaps.
The large veins in the eyes could be reduced in prominence a little.
Here left eyebrow need some work (very non linear).
The hot spots in the BG are distracting and coul;d be toned down or removed.
I have an overall problem with the image (before and after) with the way it was shot. See the verical line - there is detail on the right side of the image (pores, wrinkles) but the left side is perfectly smooth and not as sharp. You can see more detail in the models left eye whereas her right eye is softer and shows less detail.
To summarize, I think you need to pay a lot more attention to detail. This image will need a few more hours of work.
BTW, if you are interested in spending more time on high end retouching, I would recommend you get a copy of Godmother's DVD set discussed here at RP.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSTR21 Blonde After MM Markup.jpg (187.2 KB, 68 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2010, 11:57 PM

wow, that's what i call a good critique. i hope i get a critique on my thread as good as yours mistermonday.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2010, 09:49 AM

well...that certainly was painful ha but i know it will help greatly i appreciate it
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2010, 09:51 AM

i do notice the stray hairs were selected, is a standard not to have them? i feel as if they arent there its just..i dont know too tight, almost as if shes wearing a hat. but then again. im super new
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Patron

Some stray or flyaway hair may be appropriate but most of the time they need to go. Basically you should ask yourself: If you were making up your hair and the brush made it lie exactly where you wanted it, would you purposely make those tiny strays stand up at the top of your head?
If the stray hairs are a distraction they should go. If a few stray hair fall down across the model's forehead and they really do not belong there and do not add any value, they should go.
Crossover hair - the ones that cross over the main body of hair and do not follow the main flow should for the most part be cloned over.
What you do with the stray and flyaway hair will depend a lot on the image and the usage intent of the final retouch.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 06:48 PM

Sorry, off subject here - I was just thinking that I don't get that level of detail in any of my portraits, are you using medium format equipment?
Dave
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching