RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

new to this retouching lark...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:42 AM

Question new to this retouching lark...

hi guys,

i am new to this site and i need a little advice. i am a self taught photographic retoucher and i suppose you would say i am entry level. i have recently moved back from south africa to start my MA is documentary photography. i am currently looking for ways to earn a bit of cash on the side and figured retouching could be the way to go.... but where do i go from here?

any idea's?

elizabeth
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2010, 02:30 PM

Re: new to this retouching lark...

Don't count on being able to buy business cards, proclaim yourself to be in business, and instantly begin collecting fees for your photo touching services. It just doesn't work that way. If you are only looking for a quick and easy way to make money, this isn't it.

I would suggest you continue to hone your skills, network with other like-minded people, and build up your portfolio as you go. Once you are closer to finishing your studies you can begin thinking more about how to turn your interests in documentary photography into a career. By that time, you may be more interested in producing your own work than retouching the work of others.

Todd
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2010, 02:47 PM

I personally found it harder to make money doing photo restoration after the economy went in the dumpster a couple years ago. More people are less inclined to give up their money, which makes it harder to earn income from doing this service. I suspect others found this out too.

Now my son informs me he wants to quit his $50,000 a year job to go back to school to get an engineering degree. Of course, I'll be paying his tuition, just like I did before. Oh well, more reason to want to make extra income that is not easy to come by in this economy. Please help a starving (a)artist with bills that keep increasing!

Last edited by aartist; 07-01-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2010, 04:16 PM

Elizabethcnorth,
Are you referring to retouching or restoration ?

Aartist,
Quote:
Originally Posted by aartist View Post
Of course, I'll be paying his tuition...
Why ????? The older I've gotten, the more I believe we should not pay tuition for our children, especially after you've paid for the initial 4 years. That money should stay in your retirement fund. This is also common thinking for most money managers today. It's hard for our generation to swallow, but with retirement costing so much more today, it does make more sense.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2010, 09:32 PM

I should qualify my earlier statement about paying his tuition.
It's really tuition "assistance" from me because I pay 80% and
he covers 20%, usually through some type of campus job.
That way he has some of his own skin in the game!

I don't like to see young people get themselves into huge debt
because of school and that makes me want to help out. But...
I do understand your thinking about retirement money and tend
to agree with that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 AM

Aartist,
Since Elizabeth hasn't gotten back, I'll reply to your reply...

I used to feel that way, 20 years ago. The cost of school has risen astronomically. While a kid (24-25 yr old) doesn't need a lot of debt, it does teach them to spend their newly acquired income conservatively. They learn to budget, spend more wisely, the importance of college, and so on... plus they really don't have many other expenses. They typically share rent, food, utilities, etc with a roomie or two. They don't have a mortgage, 2 car payments, repairs, vacations, landscaping, etc. They also have a lifetime to pay it back. Whereas, if you are retired or semi-retired, you don't have many years to pay that back before you will be fully retired. Those payments will also likely prevent you from contributing fully to your retirement nestegg, as well as lose the interest associated with it if you did contribute. So, you're paying three times for something a kid could easily pay, and learn from. Oh well, you can tell I'm somewhat passionate about this one. I'm not all Mr Scrooge, we paid our kids 1st go. But, looking back, I would not do it again under any terms. I only wish we had made an agreement for him to pay a portion of the 1st go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 01:29 PM

Elizabeth, I don't know, but here are some related answers given a couple of years ago to another person - the suggestions about making contacts are sensible. Most people are willing to meet with someone who is interested in learning more about what that person does, and that discussion can include questions about how you might help yourself prepare for and find work in digital editing.

Aartist, check out Suze Orman's article (wish I had a few years ago).
Help your family by putting yourself first
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Thanks, liked the Orman Article.

I had promised both kids I'd help them with tuition
way before the economic melt-down. The good news
is it's not forever and does have limits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 10:26 PM

hi elizabeth and welcome to RP.

since you asked about retouching rather than restoration, i'm moving this to the retouching forum.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching