RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Outdoor Portrait - 1st post

Old 07-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Outdoor Portrait - 1st post

These are the first pictures I have posted. I shot this last minute for a friend last weekend at about 5pm in my parent’s backyard, not a lot of options there. I am working on my portfolio of portraits as I normally do equine photography. I have re-edited this photo after I posted it on another board and they said it looked off. I tried a new method of skin smoothing but would like ideas on how best to do this. While it was pointed out what I had overdone, which helped greatly, I was unable to get any ideas on how to fix her face being "off" (too bright eyes and skin too fake looking). I thought I'd bring it here, where I have been reading the posts for a couple weeks now.
Thanks,
Andie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jenn.jpg (99.3 KB, 150 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Patron

Re: Outdoor Portrait - 1st post

Andie, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

You have a nice body of equine pictures @ photoreflect Good Work!

A link to a full size high res copy might help to get a better critique because at 99k it looks very splotchy..

You can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also always attach an under 100K version so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links (As you did here).

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.

Some good info on retouching the skin can be found in the Retouching Tutorials section here at RetouchPRO..

Dodge and Burn Technique

That Soft Dior Look for Portraits

The quick de-grunge trick

When all else fails... Airbrushing

Here are a few things that initially stood out to me.. Wait a couple seconds after clicking the Gif thumbnails for it to change

~~~~Gif~~~~
Attached Images
File Type: gif Jenn.gif (195.3 KB, 103 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Andie,
There is not alot of contrast in her face; that could be the main issue. We are quite accustomed to seeing red-head's faces/skin as more pale. So, I don't think that's it. Yes, even in this small image the skin is noticeably over-smoothed, sort of artificial.

It can be difficult to find that middle ground for skin retouch that is cost effective for a photographer. Full d&b can be time consuming, and unless you do it as a profession, is hard to do correctly. Plug-ins like Portrait Professional have come a long way, but are often shunned by photographers for being too easy, too fake, too everything. PP does offer sliders for every little adjustment, making it quite easy to fine tune.

Many photographers find that effective masking and traditional retouching methods like broader d&b on a soft-light layer works well for their needs. But, it eventually comes down to what you are comfortable with and can sell / afford.

There are many methods discussed here on RP... from Chris T's (cricket1961) method to Natalia T's (Godmother). Each have tutorials you can purchase that are quite extensive. You should check those out.

Last edited by TommyO; 07-02-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Thank you for your responses, I have tried a couple of the tutorials and am a little more confused, but I'll get it. One of my problems I have is her freckles, she has them all over her face. I don't want to get rid of them completely because they're on her face, but I don't want the picture looking blotchy. I am going to look at purchasing a DVD or two and some books and continue posting for help. Thanks!
Andie
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-07-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andiemarie3 View Post
These are the first pictures I have posted. I shot this last minute for a friend last weekend at about 5pm in my parent’s backyard, not a lot of options there. I am working on my portfolio of portraits as I normally do equine photography. I have re-edited this photo after I posted it on another board and they said it looked off. I tried a new method of skin smoothing but would like ideas on how best to do this. While it was pointed out what I had overdone, which helped greatly, I was unable to get any ideas on how to fix her face being "off" (too bright eyes and skin too fake looking). I thought I'd bring it here, where I have been reading the posts for a couple weeks now.
Thanks,
Andie
I thought that your subject blended in with the background so I used curves and saturation/highlights adjustments to lighten and bring out detail from the shadows, minor teeth and skin touches as mentioned previously and then sharpened. In each case, I applied the effect to a duplicate layer and selectively applied it with a mask and light brush.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Andiemarie3.jpg (99.3 KB, 44 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching