RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Merge levels with 50% grey layer in soft light

Old 07-02-2010, 11:57 AM

Merge levels with 50% grey layer in soft light

Hi, it's possible in someway marge all layers in which i have some 50% grey softight layers and make the background transparent?

When I merge all layers and delete the white background, the effect of the softlight bland mode on the 50% grey desapears. My client wants just 2 layers, the product and the reflection, transparent Bg, can't understand how do it with these 50% greys up there.

Any idea?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:52 PM

Re: Merge levels with 50% grey layer in soft light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isedo View Post
Hi, it's possible in someway marge all layers in which i have some 50% grey softight layers and make the background transparent?

When I merge all layers and delete the white background, the effect of the softlight bland mode on the 50% grey desapears. My client wants just 2 layers, the product and the reflection, transparent Bg, can't understand how do it with these 50% greys up there.

Any idea?

My guess is you have a mask for the main product - save it as a channel - hide the reflection - merge Visible (including de original image + BG) - then use that channel to remask the product, apply it so you only have the product cut out - turn the visibility of the reflection again place over transparent BG

I think tatt's what u wanted
x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Yep, it's what i tryed to do but the workflow was very "dirty" and many "do this" and "change that", "reshape here" and "cut there" and i have not a good mask for all the product...so like it seems, i have to repath it... NAAAAIIIIISSS!

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Patron

Isedo, if the problem is that you have multiple soft light layers which are masked and you want to create one master mask or alpha channel, that is easy to do. Ctrl+Click the 1st mask to select the active area, the Select>Save Selection and name a new channel (like Master). Then Ctrl+Click the next mask; Select>Save Selection but now from the pull down menu, select the Master and check the Add to Selection Button. keep doing this until all of your masks or alpha channels are combined onto one master. Note that depending on what each of your masks looks like you may need to invert the selection in order to save the black or white parts.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-03-2010, 03:10 AM

I think it could also be done via "calculations" (image>calculations) where you can mix your channels and layers with all the blending modes available...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM

This is why I use the curves version of DnB and not the 50% layer. Or I do it right at the end, when everything else is set.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Patron

Isedo, sorry in my post above I omitted to explain that the Soft Light layers I refer to are equivalent to 50% SL layers. That means you use a layer filled with either 100% black (for Burn) and 100% white (for Dodge) set to soft light blend mode with a "hide all" mask. That means you still need 2 layers for Dodge and Burn but this is a compromise for people who prefer to use Soft Light Layers instead of Curve Adj Layers.
One other tip for you: PS is a little quirkly when it comes to flattening files. If you want to be sure that the flat file looks exactly like your stacked layer view, the you should flatten the file manually yourself which usually would just involve you pressing Crtl+E but in the correct sequence which usually follows your workflow.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2010, 08:52 AM

Hi all, thanks for helping.
At the end of this job I do not flattend the 50% greys but just the other layers.

The next time, I will use the curves to do the same...it's more easy to manage.

Thanks again for helping and supporting,
Martin
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-14-2010, 09:04 AM

My idea would be to put all of your layers into a group on "Normal" mode, create random adjustment layers underneath all the 50% gray layers and clip them to the adjustment layers.
Now delete the background and you should be fine.

Although it'd be better to see your layer's palette in order to really tell.

Edit: You could flatten the folder afterwards of course.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching