RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

GLENN KARLSEN tutorial?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 PM

GLENN KARLSEN tutorial?

does anybody have a copy of the glenn karlsen high pass tutorial that he got printed in DSLR Photography magazine back in Nov 09, i missed that issue and cannot find the magazine or tutorial online ANYWHERE, i have been looking for 4 days now and nothing, i have emailed glenn but he is on holiday until the 15th, anybody have the magazine or an online version please? would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/glennka...7622650051042/
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 01:02 PM

Re: GLENN KARLSEN tutorial?

I saw this article in a local bookstore and didn't buy the mag thinking I'd easily find it online. Huge mistake! I just remember a lot of layers, him painting in the contrast through masking and dodge/burn. Would love to see this again if you manage to find a copy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2010, 05:43 PM

send me your email address...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2010, 08:13 AM

im also searching for it for a while now since around febuary..cant find any back issue, i also tried ebay..still nothing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2010, 12:19 AM

Thanks Skydog, here's my attempt- combined with the "Dior Skin" tutorial found on this site.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7642888@N08/4781374196/

Feels a little plastic to me, but I guess avoiding that comes with practice.

The thing that threw me was every time he says "Add a new layer" my instinct was to make an empty layer. But following his process and looking at the thumbnails I think he was saying "Merge and Copy all the layers and put that new layer on top." That's how I did it anyway.

I also don't really understand all the work that went into steps 6-9- the thin sharpen. Seems like a lot of steps just to slightly sharpen a channel? I thought the effect for that step was barely noticeable and could probably be skipped.

I like the process, certainly need to try it out on a more interesting composition though.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2010, 02:09 AM

thank you skydog..here's my try and like setcamper said, im also lost and tried merge copy on top. hope that his tutorial/steps are more clearer..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/...0cf19774_o.jpg
it still needs some improvements.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 10:46 AM

please share it to me also....
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
send me your email address...
Please send me also as I like to know.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM

It would be nice if someone can sum it up here in a few words... I think more people are interested in this technique. Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Here's the basic Idea. Mod, remove if this somehow violates any kind of copyright rules.

1. Drop Contrast/Saturation by -30
2. Create an exposure adjustment layer to brighten the image and then mask it. Paint in the areas you want to lighten
3. Merge/Copy document and then change the blend mode on that new layer to 'Softlight' (this will darken the image, but pop the detail). He also puts a hue/sat adjustment on top of that layer to lower saturation by -15)
4. Create a mask for the 'Softlight' layer and mask out areas that got too dark/lost detail.

Here's where it gets tricky, this is a sharpen technique that I personally didn't see much of an effect for, especially considering the amount of steps used.

5. (I assume) he does a complete merge and copy again. Then he goes into the red channel of that merged layer, duplicates it. Adjusts the levels on the duped red channel to 75 for the shadow input and 175 for the highlight input, blowing out the shadows and highlights.
6. Filter>Stylize>Find Edges, then Image>Adjustments>Invert, then Filter>Other>Maximum(value of 1), then Gaussian Blur (Value of 2, always double what you used for the Maximum). Select>Load Selection and make sure it says Red copy in the channel.
7. Now click on the RGB channel with that selection loaded and use Unsharp Mask at 85%, radius 1.6 and threshold 0. unload selection.

8. (I assume) Merge and copy everything again, change merged layer to Dodge Luminosity. Used Dodge tool, set range to highlights, exposure around 7%, uncheck Protect Tones, and using a soft brush paint over areas you want to lighten.

9. (I assume) Merge and copy everything again, change merged layer to Dodge Saturation. Use Burne tool, set range to Shadows, exposure around 7%, uncheck Protect Tones, and using a soft brush paint over areas you want to have more contrast/saturation.

Flatten if you want. My Files were easily over 500MB with all the merg/copy steps. Hope your comp is faster than mine.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching