RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

retouching technique

Old 07-12-2010, 07:46 AM

retouching technique

I love the subtle retouching in this photo. http://www.flickr.com/photos/stygian/4555698837/
I think it`s maybe desaturated with the red channel selected and filled with white set to soft light and then reduced opacity. Then curves adjusted. But i`m just guessing. Anyone who can identify this technique?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 10:36 AM

Re: retouching technique

As usually, there are as many techniques, as retouchers. And many good ways to achive this result :-) Best way is to work out your own set of tricks.

I took one random photo and did this:
A lowered saturation in yellows (Hue/Saturation slider) and then played a few minutes in Image->Adjustments->Variations... Try this. Mind the Fine<->coarse slider and Shadows/Midtones/Highlights checkboxes. This will give you a good starting point. Then you have to make detailed work with curves and so on.

Regards
Filip
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 11:46 AM

IMO the original image has been slightly desaturated, screened at about 50-60% opacity and has had some gaussian blur applied at about 5-10%.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Difficult to guess what the retouching procedure was without having seen the 'unretouched' version ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 07:12 PM

I think we can assume it's a regular RAW photo taken in a studio without any "rocket science" lightning techniques :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 PM

Like Filip suggested: it's best to look at that image as a goal and then to develop your own route for getting there with your own images. That's got 3 benefits: 1) you don't run the risk of being accused of plagiarism, 2) you develop your own style, 3) you learn something.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Patron

A total guess from a novice.... Looks like three or more swipes with a large soft pink (255,220,220) brush (or filled) on a new Linear Dodge layer with some noise added. then the opacity lowered to around 37% for the periphery and a slight mask for the main subject allowing her to show through a bit more

Photoshop = 101 ways to do the same thing.... pick what works for you and go for it! If it looks good call it the "Rust Beautification Technique"
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the replies. I`ll have to play around with theese tips. I agree with you belifuss, I think it`s pretty standard lightning setup. And for you W.smith i also agree that the most important thing is to develop your own style. But I learn a lot when i see other`s style and then combine diffrent styles too create something new. I think this is for me just a step in a long process, where I hopefully develop my own style.
Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2010, 06:17 PM

Looks like a couple low opacity pink vertical brush strokes, on the wall to her left and one that runs down through her thigh. She sure is pretty! Which makes it more likable than the technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 PM

Rust, I agree with all of the comments given to you. My suggestion is this. Take notes, notes, notes and label them so you can recognize what you were talking about. I probably have about 200 note pads about now. It helps.
Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching