RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to copy and use any texture?

Old 07-15-2010, 12:24 AM

How to copy and use any texture?

I can't seem to find an answer to this in search. How to copy texture from image content and reuse it the same picture?

Say for example I want to smooth a portrait background (paper role has many folds). Dodge and burn does not work here, so I have to paint in the same color and brightness over some of the background. That will kill texture, how do I extract the original texture from the paper and post it back over the painted and smooth background?

This can also apply to a wrinkled pillow or a suite where I need to iron out the fabric, but risk losing detail because of that.

Any help much appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 12:57 AM

Re: How to copy and use any texture?

Did you try to use a healing brush tool?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillin View Post
Did you try to use a healing brush tool?
Yes and it does not work.

Given the large areas to be fixed healing brush is not useful, because it works in spots. Painting with a soft brush at low opacity on the other hand addresses the entire area and blends in well. The only problem is the loss of detail/texture. I am hoping there is a way to reintroduce the texture by copying it or part of it and pasting it in softlight mode for example. Its just that I have no clue how to capture texture separately and then paste it over the painted area.

Thanks

Last edited by abdul10000; 07-15-2010 at 02:04 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 02:58 AM

It would always be better to post an example of the problem ... no need to upload the whole image ... just part of it.

In these cases I usually do the following:

• loosely select around the missing texture area and lightly feather the selection.
  • Right click in the middle of my selection, choose 'Transform Selection' from the menu.
  • Move the 'marching ants' to a good part of the image (texture), press Ctrl+C to copy, then Ctrl+J to paste my selection to a new layer.
  • Use the 'Move Tool' to move the new selection layer over the problem area to cover it.
  • If necessary, use the Heal Brush around the borders to better blend in the selection with the rest of the image.
An example: original and damaged area in Attachment 1
Selection and fix in Attachment 2.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAP-042.jpg (194.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg SNAP-043.jpg (198.2 KB, 101 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 04:52 AM

Sounds like you'd need some frequency separation technique: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098
Paint on/blur the lower frequency, leave the high frequency alone (or clone on it if necessary).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 06:31 AM

Check this tutorial about adding texture to lips she shows how to add only the texture from any external image easily.

https://www.digitalphotoshopretouchi...als/candy-lips
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Sounds like you'd need some frequency separation technique: http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?thread_id=439098
Paint on/blur the lower frequency, leave the high frequency alone (or clone on it if necessary).
I use that method mostly for sharpening .... Care to post an example on how to use it for restoring texture?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 03:08 PM

Sharpening with this technique is not the most important task for which frequency separation is helpful, as it is (or would be in a perfect world) the same as using Smart Sharpen with remove set to the blurring filter you used to separate the frequencies (Gaussian Blur for most people; now if you used something that's not available in Smart Sharpen's removal, like Surface Blur, that's another thing :-)).

Anyways, I already did a tutorial on working with the different frequencies for OPR: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2D2GZgUs9BQ.
The basic principle is to separate the frequencies, blur/repaint the lower one and you should be finished. If not, clone a little on the higher frequency.
Hope that'll help you :-).

Edit: I guess you won't even need the color separation, so you can leave that out :-).

Edit #2: Oh my... you made me re-watch my tutorial... I guess I'd do it a little different nowadays ;-).

Last edited by Der_W; 07-15-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2010, 11:22 PM

Wow! That looks great for both, colour and texture!

I'm off to Munich today but I'll try it out as soon as I'm back home on Monday.

Thank you so much for sharing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_W View Post
Sharpening with this technique is not the most important task for which frequency separation is helpful, as it is (or would be in a perfect world) the same as using Smart Sharpen with remove set to the blurring filter you used to separate the frequencies (Gaussian Blur for most people; now if you used something that's not available in Smart Sharpen's removal, like Surface Blur, that's another thing :-)).
..Another tip to try out! ...Yep, up to now, I've been using it with Gaussian Blur for Smart Sharpening... Any other task to recommend?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2010, 03:50 AM

I just collected some ideas for a German blog (but mostly retouching techniques as they're more into retouching then restoring) ;-).

You could for example use Surface Blur (the best, but also slowest) or simply use the Median filter. It also preserves some of the edges but is way faster than SB.

With your LOW layer you can select any non-homogeneous area, feather that selection and apply a blurring filter. Most of the time Gaussian Blur should do the trick, but sometimes I love the results Motion Blur delivers.
Next put a new layer on top of that in "Normal" mode, use the paint brush with lowered opacity and sample good colors nearby hard to fix areas. Paint over them a few times and they should disappear (of course you should re-sample a lot).
You could even use that technique to get rid of discoloration, but I'd rather recommend to create a new layer above the "Normal" one in "Color" mode for this.

Now on to the HIGH layer. You can clone on that (hard edged brush) in "Lighten"/"Darken" mode for most precision.
Next you can clip a Soft Light dodge & burn layer to that HIGH layer and dodge & burn on that. Because most color is on the LOW layer, that won't affect colors as much.
Or clip a curves adjustment layer to it, fix the midpoint to 128/128 and control the amount of sharpening/softening by doing a S-curve.

And something nice I recently came up with is use it to make ACR more non-destructive.
Open any image in ACR, hold down [Shift] and click on the new "Open object" button.
Now you'll have the image as a Smart Object, referring to ACR.
Copy it, raster the copy and apply any blurring filter to the Smart Object. Now use frequency separation to create a high pass of the copy you just created. From now on you can clone etc. as much as you want, but when you decide, you don't like the colors anymore, just double-click on your Smart Object, go back to ACR and change them.
No need to update/redo all the cloning you just did :-)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching