RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Advertise Here

Help with eyelashes on glitz photos

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 AM

Help with eyelashes on glitz photos

I've been editing photos for a few years now and I've gotten a lot better at editing pictures. My work decided to buy photoshop for our engineers and they loaded it on my computer so I started playing around with it and eventually got addicted to it. So i loaded it on my home computer and have been working with it ever since.
My question is how do you add eyelashed to a photo? I've looked on the threads and I haven't found anything that shows a tutorial on how to apply this to a picture. Can someone show me where I can find a tutorial on this?
I've looked on Google but haven't found any tutorials only people wanting me to buy their services.

Here a picture I'm doing of my daughter right now
Before: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...3/DSC07331.jpg
After: http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...cy3/Lexi-1.jpg

I don't mind critics, I can always use them.
-Tiffany
Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Re: Help with eyelashes on glitz photos

Most of the time eyelashes don't have enough resolution to actually see their shape—no highlights or shadows—so they can be drawn in with a single stroke. Just match color and opacity (in your case, none of them were actually 100% of their color) and fade off at the tip. For extremely high-resolution, you might want to fade off the brush radius as well, if you are using a pen.

I also shifted the catchlights away from their bullseye position, added a slight shadow at the base of the lashes, whitened the whites and added more detail to the irises in overlay mode.

You wouldn't want them to look made-up in a shot like this, but you do want them to demand more attention.

http://edgework.tripod.com/samples/lexi-2.jpg
Old 07-18-2010, 11:35 AM

Stephanie Shimerdla has scanned some false eyelashes and made brushes out of them
http://www.obsidiandawn.com/eyelashe...p-gimp-brushes
Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Patron

Tiffany, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread as you did here, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

~EYELASHES~
The best way:
Use the "freeform pen tool" to draw your own lashes (click here). Drawing on a new softlight layer

Making a eyelash brush ( 4 free eyelash pic. included) Click here)
use brush either black or the color of the natural lashes @100% opacity (to be adjusted later) on a new softlight layer....... then select the top or bottom of the lash you want to work with.. use the transform tool to move and shape the brush to the eye.

Deviant Art Eyelash Brushes

Or just Google "eyelash brushes"

This was using lash Brush #93 on Softlight layer for some subtle lashes

After clicking the GIF thumbnail give it a couple seconds to change
Attached Images
File Type: gif Subtle_lashes.gif (84.0 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 AM

Hi! Just a question what means "glitz". Sounds stupid maybe, but English is not my first language....
Old 07-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4personnen View Post
Hi! Just a question what means "glitz". Sounds stupid maybe, but English is not my first language....
Can mean many things:
adorned, aureate, baroque, beautiful, bedecked, blatant, brazen, bright, brilliance, busy, cheap, chintzy, crude, dazzling, display, elaborate, elegant, extravagant showiness, fancy, flamboyant, flashy, flaunting, flowery, fussy, garish, gaudiness, gaudy, gilded, glamorous, glamour, glisten, jazzy, jeweled, junky, lavish, loud, luscious, magnificent, meretricious, offensive, opulent, ornamented, ostentation, overdone, overelaborate, pageantry, plastic, pretentious, radiance, shimmer, shine, showiness, sleazy, sparkle, splashy, splendor, sumptuous, superficial, tacky, tawdry, tinsel, vulgar
Old 07-19-2010, 01:53 PM

Thanks, does not exist in my dictionary :-)

Personnaly, I like to "overdo" the sharpness just for the lashes (with the history brush) it helps without adding any lashes
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Thanks for the information. I have been a digital artist for 12 years. I've managed to master smoothing skin, drawing lips, etc. But have always had a terrible time with eye lashes. Especially when you're building them up and making them thicker. LOL guess old age is catching up with me; time to get glasses. Zoom just isn't helping anymore