RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Lens Flares on Martin Brent's Shots

Old 07-30-2010, 03:19 PM

Question Lens Flares on Martin Brent's Shots

Hey everybody,

What do you think did Martin Brent use to make the lens flares in the following shots?

http://www.martinbrent.com/photography/surf/

The sun actually was never that low to the horizon, you see that especially well in the second (middle) shot. So it looks that it was added later. And it looks better than Photoshop's lens flare plugin ;-)

What do you think?

Cheers & a nice weekend!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 12:54 PM

Re: Lens Flares on Martin Brent's Shots

It's probably a lens-flare overlay jpg, either he made it himself or it could be one of the ones I've seen folks selling in various online markets. (I think Nichole Van has one, can't remember any other names offhand.) Just drag the jpg into the file, adjust the layer mode and fill/opacity to taste, maybe add a mask if there are bits in areas you don't want them in.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Me personally?
I love a nice lens flare and/or circles of confusion but I do find it ironic in a way.
As film shooters we fought like hell to avoid flare by using screens, scrims, my hand, assistants card, etc..
NOW we have a more sophisticated world where choice is our biggest proponent and what do we do. We pay $80.00 for post image editing software to produce some of the nicest, post-edit lens flare we have eve seen therefore allowing us to stand in galleries with our glass of wine held pinky high, sipping and telling the stories of the good ole' days when lens flare was free.
Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlight View Post
As film shooters we fought like hell to avoid flare by using screens, scrims, my hand, assistants card, etc..
NOW we have a more sophisticated world where choice is our biggest proponent and .... We pay $80.00 for post image editing software to produce some of the nicest, post-edit lens flare we have eve seen therefore allowing us to stand in galleries with our glass of wine held pinky high, sipping and telling the stories of the good ole' days when lens flare was free. Chris

Chris, I bet if you decide to add a lens flare to an image of yours, that you do it in camera rather than in post-processing. I can do it by accident in camera, but am not skilled in knowing how to add flare(s) without losing contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 06:40 PM

Misses CJ,
So good to see you and hope you are well. Montana found me well this year and I have finally forced myself to return home. It's funny that as much as I try to sleep with the TV. and lights on nothing can remove the moonlight and the sound of her running rivers from my mind..........You should try some time.
Anyways I did speak out of line and I hope I have sent you some "lens-flare making Karma" your way so you can add a sprinkle here and there. Enjoy. Just remember angle and incidence. The angle between the sun and the curve of your lens element is what produces your lens flare and you can practice by looking at the phenomenon through the lens. The size of said flare most often depends on the size of your aperture. Big = bid and small = small.... I hope this helps a bit. Deep breaths are helpful for the fixing of what most ails us. Peace to you!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-31-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Misses CJ,
So good to see you and hope you are well. Montana ...You should try some time.
Chris, I am well, thank you! I would love to see Montana, but trips aren't likely for me anytime soon. Thank goodness for photography, so people can see places they cannot visit!!

Quote:
... Just remember angle and incidence. The angle between the sun and the curve of your lens element is what produces your lens flare and you can practice by looking at the phenomenon through the lens. The size of said flare most often depends on the size of your aperture. Big = big and small = small.... I hope this helps a bit. Deep breaths are helpful for the fixing of what most ails us. Peace to you!
I have managed the small flares - the sunstars created with a small aperture; now I'll have to practice with the open apertures and BIG flares - I do like the look of them in contemporary photography.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 AM

I once own a 35mm SLR rolleiflex (very old) mounted with a 200mm non coated lens which was very good at lensflares. I would be able to sell it at the ridiculous price of $500. Comes with no film. But, well, don't tell anybody, it breaks my heart to sell it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-03-2010, 10:23 PM

there is Knoll Light Factory for advanced lens flares, or just shoot flares against a black background and screen that on top of the photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 AM

Thanks guys for the answers

I think there emerged two (three) good options to do this:

1) Knoll Light Factory (http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/prod...t-factory-pro/)
2) Andrew Cramer's Optical Flares (http://www.videocopilot.net/products/opticalflares/)
3) (Obviously, if possible/desired, shoot in camera)

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching